bringing wine: would you stop sailing HAL if you could not bring your own?

CtheW0rld

would you quit sailing HAL if they did not let you bring your own wine?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. would you quit sailing HAL if they did not let you bring your own wine?

• yes
    • no
    • i don't drink wine
    • other

IF you read VERY carefully the contract that princess has, while it gives the impression that only one bottle may be taken on board,you will find that there is in fact no limit to the amount wine taken.

I am not a rule breaker either.

john

I just don't have that much time so I'll trust you that it says that. It is something I would never do anyway because I just think it isn't right to get the steward to deal with multiple cases. I'm getting badly beaten up for my position but I do feel I have the right to feel that way no matter how vocal others feel the need to be.

I just don't have that much time so I'll trust you that it says that. It is something I would never do anyway because I just think it isn't right to get the steward to deal with multiple cases. I'm getting badly beaten up for my position but I do feel I have the right to feel that way no matter how vocal others feel the need to be.

If it makes you feel any better - we have never checked cases of wine or the stewards to lug - everything we bring on is carried on by us:) Between our wheeled carry on and our tote bags we manage quite well. The wine is safe, no bottles are broken and we didn't impose on anyone.

Somehow (and I don't know why) I have a hard time when I see cases of wine boarded (and I have). I know people say it is no different than a suit case - but it is a big difference = you can't heave it (well, you can but it will break) - you can't kind of push it over to get it moving. It's much more cumbersome IMO.

Each to their own - the stewards have enough on their plates - we'll carry our wine on ourselves:)

I make no bones about it - we like being able to bring our own wine onboard and we do - but we're with Lorekauf and others on this - we don't think it is necessary for the stewards to lug it - if you can't carry it on - don't bring it on. (actually the last time I talked to HAL they said you can bring all the wine you can CARRY on - not check in:confused:)

If it makes you feel any better - we have never checked cases of wine or the stewards to lug - everything we bring on is carried on by us:) Between our wheeled carry on and our tote bags we manage quite well. The wine is safe, no bottles are broken and we didn't impose on anyone.

Somehow (and I don't know why) I have a hard time when I see cases of wine boarded (and I have). I know people say it is no different than a suit case - but it is a big difference = you can't heave it (well, you can but it will break) - you can't kind of push it over to get it moving. It's much more cumbersome IMO.

Each to their own - the stewards have enough on their plates - we'll carry our wine on ourselves:)

I make no bones about it - we like being able to bring our own wine onboard and we do - but we're with Lorekauf and others on this - we don't think it is necessary for the stewards to lug it - if you can't carry it on - don't bring it on. (actually the last time I talked to HAL they said you can bring all the wine you can CARRY on - not check in:confused:)

I'm happy to hear that you do lug it and get what I'm saying. I really don't see bringing some wine on as a problem. The issue I have is when people go overboard with it. Yes, I know HAL allows it but I'm guessing that if the powers that be had to lug the stuff on for pax they might change their minds. Also, since they like to cut back on so many things maybe they should look at policies that "could" be losing them revenue. Again I know it's bound to get everyone up in arms but I think both sides should be allowed to express their views. Thx for the support.

I'm happy to hear that you do lug it and get what I'm saying. I really don't see bringing some wine on as a problem. The issue I have is when people go overboard with it. Yes, I know HAL allows it but I'm guessing that if the powers that be had to lug the stuff on for pax they might change their minds. Also, since they like to cut back on so many things maybe they should look at policies that "could" be losing them revenue. Again I know it's bound to get everyone up in arms but I think both sides should be allowed to express their views. Thx for the support.

A brand new thread has just sprouted. Poster called HAL and asked them if he can drink his own wine all over the ship and bring full glasses to the dining room.

They walk among us:rolleyes:

On my last cruise on Holland America, a TA out of Venice, I brought on two cases of fine Italian Red Wine that I had purchased on my two week trip through Tuscany prior to my boarding. It was for drinking on the ship and taking home with me. Whether I drank it on the ship or took most of it home, it is only my wife's, Holland America and my business. Yes I did pack the wine in our checked luggage.

A brand new thread has just sprouted. Poster called HAL and asked them if he can drink his own wine all over the ship and bring full glasses to the dining room.

They walk among us:rolleyes:

and he respectfully understood the rules - his question was if he/she could take a drink from the bar to the MDR.

I always find it helpful to read a post before I comment on it:rolleyes: ;)

signed Hemmingway:rolleyes:

and he respectfully understood the rules - his question was if he/she could take a drink from the bar to the MDR.

I always find it helpful to read a post before I comment on it:rolleyes: ;)

signed Hemmingway:rolleyes:

Well Hemingway,since you are incorrect,I would look into hiring a proofreader.

I can copy and paste the thread here if you'd like:)

Well Hemingway,since you are incorrect,I would look into hiring a proofreader.

I can copy and paste the thread here if you'd like:)

Well since I read the thread and replied to the question I don't think that's necessary.

The op understood he/she could not take their glass around and asked about bringing about a glass they bought in the bar into the MDR.

anyways we can agree to disagree - no difference - I'm not going to get into semantics with you:rolleyes:

I don't need a proof reader - I have you - unfortunately - you do tend to distort things at times IMO - and JMO - smooth seas:)

. It is something I would never do anyway because I just think it isn't right to get the steward to deal with multiple cases.

I agree with you on that point, and, have already stated that IMO we should not overdo the amount that we take on board.

As an aside I don't know if HAL pays duty on her wine or not. What I DO now is on our first cruise a single glass of 'table wine' in the MDR, cost more than a bottle of Scotch, which could be ordered and taken off the ship at the end of the cruise. I could hardly believe it.

john

As an aside I don't know if HAL pays duty on her wine or not. What I DO now is on our first cruise a single glass of 'table wine' in the MDR, cost more than a bottle of Scotch, which could be ordered and taken off the ship at the end of the cruise. I could hardly believe it.

john

Oh, I can believe it but the booze in the store is pretty cheap. I still think that HAL's high price on wine has to do with their carry on policy, agree or disagree.

We like Celebrity, we like Princess, they both have great suites.

We tried HAL and kept sailing HAL for the Concierge Lounge, Suite Breakfast venue, Italian & Pan Asian restaurants, the Cabanas and the WINE POLICY.

Well, Celebrity has all of this above now. Also has an all-inclusive beverage package (so we could keep trying till we like something, because finding it, is half the battle)

Princess in on the way with the new Royal Princess. Very close to the Eurodam * Nieiw Amsterdam, and has almost all of the above.

So yes, we think HAL, Princess, & X are all great.

Looking forward to a Costa cruise on a newer ship--(amazing and fantastic Samsara Spa Suite in prob 2014)...

We would just switch to X, or Princess prob, for our special cruises

(that we currently do on HAL).

If a ship has what we want we will try it.

We pick by 1. ship, 2. suite and 3. itinerary (and in that order).

What HAL does right now is what sets them apart for us. We can

guarantee that we will like what we are drinking, because we only bring what we like!!

If HAL changed (what we are looking for in a cruise/ship/experience) then we would switch (if the ship/line had all of the above that we look for).

Simple as that.

To the 55 people who would end sailing on HAL if they couldn't tote their own wine.

Why even bother cruising? Sounds like a trip out to Napa Valley would be the ticket. You could do a winery crawl and probably drink samples for free all day.

Why let overcrowded Lidos cut into your drinking time?

Oh, I can believe it but the booze in the store is pretty cheap. I still think that HAL's high price on wine has to do with their carry on policy, agree or disagree.[/quote

Disagree, I believe that should HAL ban wine, the company will loose some cruisers, but wine prices would remain the same.

For a time HAL had a reasonably priced wine card, for cheaper wines, which was livable, bu talas that has now gone.

john

To the 55 people who would end sailing on HAL if they couldn't tote their own wine.

Why even bother cruising? Sounds like a trip out to Napa Valley would be the ticket. You could do a winery crawl and probably drink samples for free all day.

As stated before, the wine issue for some of us would be the tipping point, and HAL probably is aware of it.

A little secret. The main hobby for retired folk is penny pinching. Try it you'l like it!;)

john

do you lose sleep coming up with these comments?

Would you say the same thing to Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. cruisers if the question was asked if wine was no longer included in their cruise if they would quit sailing that line:rolleyes:

It's a perk that obviously means something to some people - just because you don't agree doesn't mean that they are wrong or should be chastized.

do you lose sleep coming up with these comments?

Would you say the same thing to Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. cruisers if the question was asked if wine was no longer included in their cruise if they would quit sailing that line:rolleyes:

It's a perk that obviously means something to some people - just because you don't agree doesn't mean that they are wrong or should be chastized.

Not interested in Regent,Crystal,or Seabourn. This is the HAL board and the poll was based on HAL ships. I'll leave playing hypothetical scenarios to you.

Archived