bringing wine: would you stop sailing HAL if you could not bring your own?

CtheW0rld

would you quit sailing HAL if they did not let you bring your own wine?  

247 members have voted

1. 1. would you quit sailing HAL if they did not let you bring your own wine?

• yes
    • no
    • i don't drink wine
    • other

You know this raises an intersting question - if most of the mass market lines only permit you to bring one bottle on board - then why do they have corkage fees???:confused::confused: (and some are much higher than HAL's). me thinks they may turn a blind eye or permit more than they say? Otherwise why would there be a need for a corkage fee on the other lines:confused:

Yeah, I guess some of us follow the rules when sailing on other lines. Celebrity allowed 2 and that's what I brought. People had me so freaked out that I wouldn't pack it in my suitcase. They maintained that you could be called to the naughty room for it being in your suitcase. From that I assume that they do check but maybe not all the time. I'm foolish that way. I listen to rules.

I have noted for some time that you use the same lines every time you participate in this kind of thread and I personally find it offensive. You categorize all people who bring wine onboard and obey the rules set out by HAL as either cheap skates or wine snobs. Some of us actually find the experience of picking out wine of all price points for our cruises as a fun part of cruise preparation and most of us have no issue with giving HAL the free $18 per bottle revenue with little to no effort on their part. If your point is to drive paying customers away from HAL, you are doing a fine job!!

No worries - he doesn't know there is no two buck chuck in a box in Europe :):D (well, I guess if you want to count that awful table wine there is).

I think the two buck chuck makes it pretty clear that we are all cheapskates and alcoholics:rolleyes: thanks for speaking for some of us:D

No, I gave up working outside the home to be a stay at home mom who home schools her son and maintains a home for him and his father. I have a pretty good idea of what physical work is and what it is like to prepare and serve meals. BUT as compared to negotiating with wine distributors, shipping wine, loading wine, storing wine at proper temperature, printing up wine lists, teaching all the staff about the wines you have available and how to present and sell them to customers, how to pair wines with each and every menu item... I would say popping a cork out, providing a couple of glasses, and pouring as a little less work on the very overworked HAL staff (of whom we simply adore and have zero complaints).

We chill our own wine in our room fridge btw, and we never have left overs for the staff to store and an open bottle is an empty one. Just how we do it.

It may be less work for them but it's still work. I personally have never asked those question of a wine steward because I know what I like and don't need my hand held. You may drink all your wine in one night but not everyone does. I've heard many people say that HAL does nothing for the $18 and that rubs me the wrong way.

I have noted for some time that you use the same lines every time you participate in this kind of thread and I personally find it offensive. You categorize all people who bring wine onboard and obey the rules set out by HAL as either cheap skates or wine snobs. Some of us actually find the experience of picking out wine of all price points for our cruises as a fun part of cruise preparation and most of us have no issue with giving HAL the free $18 per bottle revenue with little to no effort on their part. If your point is to drive paying customers away from HAL, you are doing a fine job!!

Sorry about that- It sounds like you really play by the rules. This whole wine topic is baffling. You play by the rules others (from what I've read on here)

Want to bring their full glasses of wine from their cabin to the dining room or walk around the ship with their own personal bottle, This sounds like a day at Jones Beach.

Now the latest is. People would actually stop sailing the ship,cause they couldn't bring wine. Forget about the Blue Hulls,the fresh flowers,the smiling crew,the great itineraries,I MUST DRINK WINE!!!!!!!!!

The best one I've recently read is, if they can't bring wine,they'd pick a cheaper cabin,try to wrap your head around that. I was going to get a suite,but since I can't bring wine,I'm getting a cabin next to the anchor chain.

These oenophiles are interesting to say the least.

No, I just typed it for fun:rolleyes:. So that's not work to get it chilled before you come, pour it in glasses etc. Let me guess, you must have a management job.

You really think putting a bottle of wine in a bucket of ice , opening the bottle , and then the challenging task of pouring it into a glass is work?

If it's not work...What is it?

It's putting a bottle on ice, opening the bottle and pouring it into a glass.

Making beds, and cleaning toilets , and preparing meals for several thousand people all day long. Waiting tables and taking orders and running back and forth with trays and plates of food. vaccuming and polishing a whole ship. Thats work.

Making beds, and cleaning toilets , and preparing meals for several thousand people all day long. Waiting tables and taking orders and running back and forth with trays and plates of food. vaccuming and polishing a whole ship. Thats work.

Both are work. I guess you think that they shouldn't charge corkage either. I'm simply amazed at some of these comments. So shlepping cases of wine to a persons room isn't work either I guess.

Sorry about that- It sounds like you really play by the rules. This whole wine topic is baffling. You play by the rules others (from what I've read on here)

Want to bring their full glasses of wine from their cabin to the dining room or walk around the ship with their own personal bottle, This sounds like a day at Jones Beach.

Now the latest is. People would actually stop sailing the ship,cause they couldn't bring wine. Forget about the Blue Hulls,the fresh flowers,the smiling crew,the great itineraries,I MUST DRINK WINE!!!!!!!!!

The best one I've recently read is, if they can't bring wine,they'd pick a cheaper cabin,try to wrap your head around that. I was going to get a suite,but since I can't bring wine,I'm getting a cabin next to the anchor chain.

Yes, we play by the rules because we believe what HAL has given us this luxury, one of many we find special to HAL. I too do not understand why anyone would abuse such a wonderful and generous privilege.

Both are work. I guess you think that they shouldn't charge corkage either. I'm simply amazed at some of these comments. So shlepping cases of wine to a persons room isn't work either I guess.

I didn't see anyone write anything like that.

I think the point was that is probably less work for the wait staff to open a bottle already at the table as opposed to having to get a bottle that someone may order.

As to "shlepping" a case to someone's cabin, how is it any different than a person who brings 2 or 3 suitcases instead of one? The job is to deliver passengers baggage to their cabins. That could be one small suitcase, two huge suitcases, 1 small suitcase and a case of wine, whatever...

We shlepp our own joyfully (though I see nothing wrong with others giving a nice tip to porters who load and ship staff who deliver a case to their cabin, I know carrying that much weight might not be possible for some who are less able bodied) and corkage is fine by us. We just add that into the price of our cruise when we budget.

Always the bad boy ;)! Just what I like about you...And since it's so easy, you can serve me my wine anytime (well...I'm really more of a beer girl)!

The bolding is mine. Since this pot shot is obviously aimed at me,:eek: it would be nice if you kept things in context. :rolleyes: I NEVER said I would be at the cabin next to the anchor chain. I said this is ONE of the reasons we book that category. I didin't say it was the ONLY reason. We like having people over. We have Hal's liquor for those who want it and like to offer wine.

Some people book insides as they are never in their room. Some people book higher categories because they do spend some time in their room.

I don't make fun of people who book different categories or the reasons for them. It would be nice if you didn't too - or at least didn't jump to conclusions:rolleyes:

HAL rep told me you can't take soda on board. Was that incorrect? :confused:

Yes, that is incorrect. You may bring anything except beer and hard liquor onboard with you. Wine, soda, water, juice etc. is allowed.

This thread really has me shaking my head in utter amazement. I bring wine with me when I cruise on Holland America. Why? Not that I feel like I need to justify if for anyone, but I will.

1) HAL's wine selection is abysmal. So, we bring what we like.

2) HAL's prices on wine are ridiculous. They routinely charge $50 or more for a wine that I can buy for 10 bucks. So, yes we do it to save some money. How outrageous is that? :confused: We usually end up spending $5000 or more for a 7 day cruise. We usually bring one case (12 bottles) with use, may buy more in a port. So, we generally save about $500 by not buying wine from HAL that we might not even care for. That is money I can spend on other things and I do. If that makes me a cheapskate, so be it.

3) We enjoy spending a lot of time in our cabin and on our verandah, usually with a glass of wine. We usually cruise with friends and enjoy entertaining in our suite or verandah with glasses of wine.

4) And, the most important reason, HAL allows us to do it. So, we do.

We all cruise to get enjoyment from a cruise. Some like to enjoy a glass of wine in the quiet privacy of their cabin or verandah, others do not. What's the big deal? How could this be a problem for anyone? I mean really. Someone please explain to me how me bringing a case of wine on a cruise would negatively impact you in any way?

I read the arguments that its more work for the porters and the wine stewards? Really? Do you think HAL has not accounted for this work? Have you ever not received your luggage because a porter was busy handling hundreds of cases of wine? Its what they are paid to do and they do it.

The wine stewards do have some work to do, but is it more work than presenting a list, discussing the selections, placing the order, retrieving the bottle and serving it if you buy one? Are they not getting paid $18 to attend to your bottle of wine? Was a steward never available to you because he was too busy opening bottles of wine for all the people who brought their own? Probably not. Again, HAL allows this, so its an anticipated part of their job.

Sure, people do bring a glass of wine with them to the dining room or other places on the ship. But, that is against the rules and that is a different conversation. But, even still, how has this personally impacted your cruise enjoyment?

I just do not understand why so many people have a need to influence how anyone chooses to enjoy their cruise. The rules are in place and people are free to do what they want within the rules. And, HAL has a duty to ensure that it can be handled since it is their rule. If it becomes an issue for HAL, I'm sure they will amend the rule. But, for years and years, its never changed, so it must not be an issue. Why is it such an issue for some of you here?

And, it does not matter why anyone wants to bring their own wine. It especially does not matter if they want to drink two buck chuck or opus. Either one is allowed by the rule and that is all that matters.

2) HAL's prices on wine are ridiculous. They routinely charge $50 or more for a wine that I can buy for 10 bucks. So, yes we do it to save some money. How outrageous is that? :confused: We usually end up spending $5000 or more for a 7 day cruise. We usually bring one case (12 bottles) with use, may buy more in a port. So, we generally save about $500 by not buying wine from HAL that we might not even care for. That is money I can spend on other things and I do. If that makes me a cheapskate, so be it.

I agree 100 percent, wine list in bad and so over priced, one recent cruise we ran out of the wine we brought ordered a bottle on list that was 78 dollars, this was a bottle that sells for about 18 in wine store and saw it in resturant when we got off for 38 dollars.

Sorry about that- It sounds like you really play by the rules. This whole wine topic is baffling. You play by the rules others (from what I've read on here.

/quote]

As I pointed out before, all cruise lines have good and bad points which entice, or reject a potential cruiser.

While I still sail HAL, there are a few things that the line does that I dislike, giving for me, an edge towards Princess. Add 'No More Wine' to the list, and for me the tipping point would be reached.

I can't put it any plainer.

Now I don't HAVE to drink wine, but now and again I enjoy a quiet drink in my cabin or balcony, [which may, or may not be smoke free], without heading for the nearest bar, or paying an inflated price for a bottle.

As a footnote, I come from wine country.

john

This thread really has me shaking my head in utter amazement. I bring wine with me when I cruise on Holland America. Why? Not that I feel like I need to justify if for anyone, but I will.

3) We enjoy spending a lot of time in our cabin and on our verandah, usually with a glass of wine. We usually cruise with friends and enjoy entertaining in our suite or verandah with glasses of wine.

We all cruise to get enjoyment from a cruise. Some like to enjoy a glass of wine in the quiet privacy of their cabin or verandah, others do not. What's the big deal? How could this be a problem for anyone? I mean really. Someone please explain to me how me bringing a case of wine on a cruise would negatively impact you in any way?

I read the arguments that its more work for the porters and the wine stewards? Really? Do you think HAL has not accounted for this work? Have you ever not received your luggage because a porter was busy handling hundreds of cases of wine? Its what they are paid to do and they do it.

The wine stewards do have some work to do, but is it more work than presenting a list, discussing the selections, placing the order, retrieving the bottle and serving it if you buy one? Are they not getting paid $18 to attend to your bottle of wine? Was a steward never available to you because he was too busy opening bottles of wine for all the people who brought their own? Probably not. Again, HAL allows this, so its an anticipated part of their job.

Sure, people do bring a glass of wine with them to the dining room or other places on the ship. But, that is against the rules and that is a different conversation. But, even still, how has this personally impacted your cruise enjoyment?

I just do not understand why so many people have a need to influence how anyone chooses to enjoy their cruise. The rules are in place and people are free to do what they want within the rules. And, HAL has a duty to ensure that it can be handled since it is their rule. If it becomes an issue for HAL, I'm sure they will amend the rule. But, for years and years, its never changed, so it must not be an issue. Why is it such an issue for some of you here?

And, it does not matter why anyone wants to bring their own wine. It especially does not matter if they want to drink two buck chuck or opus. Either one is allowed by the rule and that is all that matters.

Ah Tim - that's too much common sense:D:D where's that like button;)

Great post. "like" button pressed:D

Excellent post!! I especially like this part. Thank you. :)

Thank you, Tim. A great post! :D

Archived