Can you just show up at AI in Ocho Rios?

travelhound

We are taking our 28th cruise this NYE but it will be the first with our daughter. She'll turn 22 months on the cruise and we're not sure how she'll react to the cruise, the beach, excursions etc. I looked at the AI Sunset Grande through Jamaica for a Day, but I don't really want to commit to booking through them yet. So, has anyone just showed up at an AI the same day to purchase a pass? Do they book out and it's not possible to show up on the same day?

Take a red plated - govt. taxi to Doctor's Cave beach

Shallow, beautiful -- maybe $5 each for a chair -- there is no resort there but you can get food and drinks

the water is to die for!

If I were taking a young child - that is exactly what I would do because you have time constraints

the taxi will give you a quote and stay with you or come back and then you pay

We've been alllll over jamaica - been 5 different times -- this would be safe and relaxing --- don't let others scare you away

The people that stay on the boat and never get off there

are really missing out.

I think you can google the images for it -- or go on tripadvisor.com

for things to do in Montego Bay - it should come up

or just google it for reviews

We booked with Jamaica for a Day for the Sunset Grande and had a wonderful day. I personally thought the place was beautiful and it is a very big resort. There are so many different pools there. The beach is small, but we liked it. We thought the food was pretty good (especially the jerk chicken) and the drinks were always flowing (soda and alcohol).

I don't know if you can just show up at the resort without a reservation or not. I've never heard anyone mention on here that they've done that.

Here is a link to my review with a link at the bottom of it to tons of pictures from that day if you are interested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33228671&postcount=25

mitsugirly,

I've seen your pictures before. They are awesome and I didn't think the place looked too bad, which is why we were considering it. DD will still be in a swim diaper and can't go in the pools on the ship so it would be nice to go to a beach. I did look at J for a Day but I didn't want to commit since I'm not sure if she'll like the ocean/beach or how she'll react to the whole cruise in general. We thought if she was having a good day and did well in Florida and the private island, we'd just show up. I guess the worst that could happen is they are full and we go back to the ship.

mitsugirly,

I've seen your pictures before. They are awesome and I didn't think the place looked too bad, which is why we were considering it. DD will still be in a swim diaper and can't go in the pools on the ship so it would be nice to go to a beach. I did look at J for a Day but I didn't want to commit since I'm not sure if she'll like the ocean/beach or how she'll react to the whole cruise in general. We thought if she was having a good day and did well in Florida and the private island, we'd just show up. I guess the worst that could happen is they are full and we go back to the ship.

I completely understand. I've been there before. If I was you, I would email Kim and JFAD and ask her if you are able to just show up the day you are in port and explain the situation. At least you could get an answer from her and not spend additional money taking a cab there and finding out that you can't get in. I've looked on the resorts website plenty of times and have never found a place that you could book with them for just the AI portion or a "cruise" package. So, I'm assuming that the only way you could go is to book with JFAD. :confused: Also, I would ask her if the place is even available for the date you are planning on being there because I do know they have "black out" dates for the other (adults only-Hilton) resort for holidays (which includes the date you will be traveling). Just a thought. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and most of all enjoy your cruise and vacation with the dd. I know some times it can be a "trying" time when you have a little one but you'll look back at all the good memories. :)

All you put down is a deposit. I would not gamble the show up at the door thing. I would gamble the deposit money. All you'd be out is the 15 per person, or it may be 20 now. Jamaica for a day is reliable and it would guarantee an activity. We love Jamaica and have been many times. We have run into some safety issues in recent years. With a 2 year old, have plans. Sunset looks perfect for you.

All you put down is a deposit. I would not gamble the show up at the door thing. I would gamble the deposit money. All you'd be out is the 15 per person, or it may be 20 now. Jamaica for a day is reliable and it would guarantee an activity. We love Jamaica and have been many times. We have run into some safety issues in recent years. With a 2 year old, have plans. Sunset looks perfect for you.

Yes, it's $20 per person now and would only have to pay for adults. :)

mitsugirly and tinkr2,

So if you don't show up or cancel on that day you only lose the deposit? I'll have to look at the J for a Day site again. If that's the case, maybe we'll do that. DH's first response is to stay on the ship, but we have three other days on the ship and dd's water activity will be pretty limited. He doesn't think about things like that sometimes. He's thinking of himself lounging in a chair by the pool, reading a book and eating. :)

mitsugirly and tinkr2,

So if you don't show up or cancel on that day you only lose the deposit? I'll have to look at the J for a Day site again. If that's the case, maybe we'll do that. DH's first response is to stay on the ship, but we have three other days on the ship and dd's water activity will be pretty limited. He doesn't think about things like that sometimes. He's thinking of himself lounging in a chair by the pool, reading a book and eating. :)

Correct, if you don't cancel prior, then you just forfeit your deposit only (which would be $40 total for all of you).

There's definitely plenty of pool areas for lounging there that's for sure. Just take your pick. LOL Also, plenty of food as well.

Ocho Rios is one of the ports on our cruise. I am also wondering if we a reservation is required or if we could just hop a cab? I'm so happy to see some positive remarks as we had also planned to stay on the ship. I'll email Jamaicaforaday and see if I can get more info. Our concern is rain, etc.

It does say on J for a Day's website that you cannot buy their tickets on the day you get into port. A while ago I emailed Sunset Grande to see if we could just show up for a day pass and I got the automated response but no follow up email with details. Maybe they're on island time. :)

Archived