Anybody have Map Mahogany Bay Roatan?

Cruisegirl6

Worth taking the gear to snorkel here. Walk past the cabanas and walk out to the end of the pier at that end They have a platform there that makes it super easy to get in the water. Very clear water. Swim out a very little way and the coral is there.

there was a thread maybe a day ago.. how good is the snorkeling at mahogany bay.. consensus was yes, pretty good.

I read that thread and was starting to really think about it. A picture is worth a thousand words and this looks doable for me. I will snorkel by myself, under the watchful eye of DH since he doesn't enjoy swimming, I have to stay pretty close to shore. I wasn't sure how far out I would have to swim. Usually, DD snorkels with me and DH doesn't worry so much since we are both strong swimmers and using the buddy system. She won't be with us on this trip.

Worth taking the gear to snorkel here. Walk past the cabanas and walk out to the end of the pier at that end They have a platform there that makes it super easy to get in the water. Very clear water. Swim out a very little way and the coral is there.

I read that thread and was starting to really think about it. A picture is worth a thousand words and this looks doable for me. I will snorkel by myself, under the watchful eye of DH since he doesn't enjoy swimming, I have to stay pretty close to shore. I wasn't sure how far out I would have to swim. Usually, DD snorkels with me and DH doesn't worry so much since we are both strong swimmers and using the buddy system. She won't be with us on this trip.

FWIW...the area around the smaller pier might have some fish life, but it's nothing like other shore lines in Roatan, notably the West Bay and West End reefs, or Sandy Bay. The run off from the surrounding hills creates a silty bottom that gets churned up by the ships' propellers. If there are wind waves on the outer shore, they won't let you snorkel or kayak out past the pier itself. If you wish just to play around in the water with your snorkel on, and aren't over enthused about seeing various species of sealife, then it'll be okay. And your DH won't get his swimsuit in kippers with worry.

FWIW...the area around the smaller pier might have some fish life, but it's nothing like other shore lines in Roatan, notably the West Bay and West End reefs, or Sandy Bay. The run off from the surrounding hills creates a silty bottom that gets churned up by the ships' propellers. If there are wind waves on the outer shore, they won't let you snorkel or kayak out past the pier itself. If you wish just to play around in the water with your snorkel on, and aren't over enthused about seeing various species of sealife, then it'll be okay. And your DH won't get his swimsuit in kippers with worry.

Thank you. Sometimes he can rain on my perfectly good time, but at least he cares enough to worry. I would love to see some of the more colorful sea life but can be happy with more minimal sights. I've snorkeled the rivers of the Ozarks for years with not much to see besides rocks, bass and perch. Once in a while, I get lucky and find "treasures" from someone dumping a canoe over. At least it will be different scenery for me.

• 2 years later...

Snorkeling over at West Bay or West End is best. Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are there as well.

Anyhow, here are a couple maps:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Roatan

Even better - more-detailed:

https://www.pinterest.com/kccordova/roatan-hondorus/

Mahogany-Bay.jpg.e884f91c09dd0751fb2f734c3f78c405.jpg

roatan_map1.jpg.4d3c7aa5c6fa4e3ba1a05307b55d49c6.jpg

Edited by BrotherCraig

found the link on google. trying to find out what restaurant is near the beach

I'm not sure it has a name. It's just the restaurant and bar spread out over a couple of buildings, semi open air.

In the shopping complex right by the pier is a Fat Tuesday's bar. And as I recall there's a shaved ice/fro-yo kiosk. I don't think there's any other dining in the port shopping complex, unlike Puerta Maya in Cozumel.

There are a couple places to eat at Carnival's Mahogany cruise port -- there is a burger shack called Playa Tortugas and then there is a seafood place near their beach called Hideaway Fishery.

If you want the real Roatan and real food, take a taxi over to the beautiful West End Village or West Bay. West Bay just made the Trip Advisor most beautiful beach in the world list (#15 in the World).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches-cTop-g1

great! thanks for all the replies...we've been to Roatan a few times & have seen the sights. just looking for something close to the ship and easy. plus i wanna ride the ski lift LOL btw where is the entrance to the lift? i've never noticed it, granted i was never really looking for it either

Entrance is just past Fat Tuesdays heading toward the beach. Look for it on your left closer to the other structures. May have changed, but I don't ever recall seeing a flashy entrance, just a couple of guys handling the equipment. Follow the return of a chair which you can see easily.

Entrance is just past Fat Tuesdays heading toward the beach. Look for it on your left closer to the other structures. May have changed, but I don't ever recall seeing a flashy entrance, just a couple of guys handling the equipment. Follow the return of a chair which you can see easily.

ahhh past Fat Tuesdays....i don't think we've made it that far LOL could be why we missed it. thanks again