Montevideo on our own ...yes /no

bionicbeacher

We are toying between a private tour and doing Montevideo on our own....our preference is to meander along and check out the old section of the City as well as the Market on our own..........is this doable from the Ship and does it make sense.

Would appreciate any and all advice and any suggestions by others who have done it before.

Cheers

Ken

Been there a few times. The old town and central plaza are a short, safe walk from the pier. Interesting shops, especially for antiques, along the way. Wife and I are in our 60s and we never felt insecure walking to and from pier to old town area.

Once we organized a tour to VZ (Varanzella sp?) winery. Do a search here for it. They offer a nice tour with wonderful lunch and provide a bus. It leaves you a couple of hours to explore old town as well. I would recommend anyone porting in Montevideo to look into that winery tour. All of us gave it 2 thumbs up.

I guess any tour can be cancelled.

My view on tours is different than some.

Sometimes we do private tours. Other times we do ship tours. And still other times we do it on our own.

For the Jewish areas I would do a tour. I believe because of security of the Jewish sites that they don't want just anyone showing up.

The tour was very nicely done.

Keith

When we got off the ship in Montevideo they were handing out pamphlets describing several routes that you could walk with some info on what you could see on those routes. If I'd known that ahead of time, we probably wouldn't have booked the tour that we did. The tour that we did do spent very little time in town, but from what we saw I think we would have been far more interested in walking around town than what we did.

And personally, even the area around the port I didn't feel was all that bad, and especially during the day I wouldn't feel uncomfortable walking around. (Of course, our tour bus that day did get the window shot out inches from my wife's head, but that wasn't actually in town, so maybe you're safer staying in town? :) ).

What did you do on your own?

We walked around the pier area, thru many streets of the "town", one was a pedestrian only type street, went to market held in the square where we made a purchase, chatting with the vendor. Went into a couple stores, one a department type store. Then we walked to the coast on the other side of town and passed a very pretty church with two palm trees in the front. Then we walked back along the coastline to the pier. Stopped and bought a clump of gardenias from a man on a street corner which we took back on the ship and boy did our room smell great for the rest of the trip. The pier area was a lot busier than when we had gone thru earlier in the morning. I can't remember how long we walked but it was around 3-4 hours.

Walking on the other side of town along the coast, we were basically alone, but like I said we never felt unsafe.

We took a ship's excursion to a local ranch La Rabida for a BarBQ lunch and a party. We had so much fun. The whole family lead by Grandma invited us around the ranch (several thousand acres and mostly into production of dairy (2000 quarts a day), beef, ostrich, horses and "the purest water on the earth". We did a hayride, had dancers and singers and the most delicious spread of beef, chicken, pork, lamb all done over huge fires and served with local wines. Could ride horses, shear sheep, milk a cow talk to the cute "cowboys" and all in all one of the most fun days we have had. Really felt like a family party. This excursion also had a small tour of the city but really wasn't much there. The joke line was" Hey Mom I shrunk the capital city". Go out on the ranch. Tad expensive but much different from what we have done other places.

Archived