Cappiccino???

set2374

Considering all the rumors (confirmations) regarding Princess' awful coffee, I was wondering whether Princess charges extra for cappuccino? I know Celebrity does, but my father recalls them not charging extra on Princess. Is he correct?

On our Mexican cruise on the Diamond, I spent more for lattes than I did for booze. we are from Seattle and were having serious good coffee withdrawal. I have read rumers on these boards that the coffee is not-so-awful now. We shall see on our upcoming Alaska trip...icon5.gif

We were fortunate to take two cruises in 2003. On the first--the Star Princess to Alaska in July--cappuccinos were available in the dining room without an additional charge. A few weeks later, I read a review that stated that Princess had started charging for them. When we went on the Grand Princess in December, we were charged. They were $1.50 plus the 15% gratuity.

The amount of money it adds to our cruise account is pretty inconsequential. But I dislike the inconvenience of having to sign for something else.

It was not free on the Island Princess in April. I had expresso after dinner a few times in the dining room, and there was a charge for it. I don't remember how mmuch since "Mr. Sunshine" signed for it:) I really did not find the coffee awful on Princess. I would say I would rate it "so so" Not bad enough to warrant hauling a coffee maker and stuff on a plane. And no washing of coffee pots and getting rid of grounds either! PS,, I am a black coffee drinker, so I can be pretty picky. Flame Away coffee fiends

It was not free on the Island Princess in April. I had expresso after dinner a few times in the dining room, and there was a charge for it. I don't remember how mmuch since "Mr. Sunshine" signed for it:) I really did not find the coffee awful on Princess. I would say I would rate it "so so" Not bad enough to warrant hauling a coffee maker and stuff on a plane. And no washing of coffee pots and getting rid of grounds either! PS,, I am a black coffee drinker, so I can be pretty picky. Flame Away coffee fiends

That's odd....it was also free on the Coral (sister ship to the Island) last Oct. I always order cappuccino after dinner. There was a time when they were charging for this, but they have since dropped the charge. Perhaps they do charge for espresso, but not cappuccino.

The cappucino has always been free in the dining room for us too, guess we just lucked out. I also had heard about them charging, perhaps they tried it as an experiment on some ships .. or maybe they now charge on some ships and not on others, but that would be very strange. We are leaving next week for 26 days on the Pacific Princess, I wonder if it will be free there or not. Well either way I MUST have it, I always have it after dinner, I like their cappucino a lot :D

Cappies still are signed for on RCCL just as if you'd bought (signed for) one at the Patiserrie on the Promenade on EOS. Similarly on the Paradise with Carnivale cappies you sign for such as the cake & dessert shop.

Ciao for now!!!

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess in January 2005 and were charged $1.75 for cappucino, plus tip in the dining room and elsewhere on the ship. It was well worth the money - good quality and a large portion, served in an extra large cup. We will be sailing on the CP again this Saturday, May 21 and we look forward to the cappucino after dinner in the dining room. It's a better deal than paying $3.00 for a soft drink.

No charge on NCL for caps after dinner. Princess better be nice. This is my first cruise on Princess and I am spoiled for cappucino now. Coffee, no way, I need foam to make it pretty!

The price is reasonable but lets face it they are about a sip and a half so a buck and a half isn't really a bargain now is it?

On the Star in March, it was listed with a charge on the menu at night. However, sometime we were charged and sometime not charged. I think it all depended on the waiter. Apparently they were supposed to charge for all of the specialty coffees but not all of them did.

Whether they charge or not, I know I'm going to like Princess. I believe I was paying $3.50 or $3.95 for a capuccino on RCCL, which really, really adds up because I can drink 4 or 5 of them each day. So, $1.50 or $1.75 will be a bargain. Another reason, I glad we're giving Princess a try.

Just got off the Island Princess on Saturday. Cappuccinos were $1.75, anywhere on the ship. There's a little table tent in the dining room and in the buffet area with prices for all specialty non alcoholic coffees: cappuccino, espresso, double espresso ($2), etc. listed. Also, hot chocolate is $1.50 per packet. The only time you can get FREE hot chocolate is in the dining room at breakfast. So instead, we bought a box for $2.29 at the Fairway Market in Skagway and had our own cocoa the rest of the cruise at the bargain price of 23 cents each.

After having been on the NCL Dawn a year ago, we felt more than a little nickeled and dimed on this Princess cruise.

After paying for cappuccino in Italy, 1.50 doesn't seem to bad to me. Now espresso where you get a little bitty sip that would be a different story.

I'm on the Sea Princess for 21 days in Sept. right near the Patisserrie so I know I'll be doing the cappuccino alot just to give me a boost to make it upstairs to the buffet!

Susie

One of the things I like about Princess is that you can always get a cappuccino. If the dining rooms are closed, there is always the Patisserie. I remember one cruise around Italy, in 1990, on Ocean Cruise Lines, where the bar containing the only cappuccino machine on board didn't open until 11:00 A.M. I remember being among the first off the gangway at all our ports, and heading for the first halfway decent looking cafe, in order to get a morning cappuccino. I also swore, after that cruise, that the only way I'd return to the Mediterranean would be with Princess.

Joan

I have a question about the Patisserie:

We stopped by several times in search of pastries and they never had any. Isn't "patisserie" = pastry shop? I know that on the NCL Dawn (I think, maybe it was Carnival?) they had a pastry kiosk right in the atrium - you could check out the desserts as you passed by. Nothing like that in this Patisserie. Seemed like a bar - the only menu they had was for drinks, and not even coffee (BTW, seemed like you could get the specialty coffees from the bar at the buffet all day too).

On my Princess cruises, they always had pastries available to go along with the specialty coffees in the Patisserie. Has that changed recently? I remember being on the Crown and my cabin was one door away, it got cute, every day they'd have a cup ready for me! Sometimes I'd run out in my robe! On the Golden, I could always get cookies and coffee in the lobby bar but things change! :-)

Susie

Archived