Blu and MDR

KenM

Just booked an aqua suite on the new Reflection .

We have done the Blu dinning in the past.

I believe that we are automatically signed up to Blu for dinning.

Question:

Suppose that we like the MDR menu for a particular evening. Can we just show up at the "my time dinning" location Or can I order from the MDR menu in the Blu.

Just booked an aqua suite on the new Reflection .

We have done the Blu dinning in the past.

I believe that we are automatically signed up to Blu for dinning.

Question:

Suppose that we like the MDR menu for a particular evening. Can we just show up at the "my time dinning" location Or can I order from the MDR menu in the Blu.

You can go to Select and dine there if space is available. I've never seen a problem doing this. They don't like to get items from the MDR, but they will if possible. The problem is that the MDR galley is far away from Blu and your meal might be cold and/or overcooked.

Suppose that we like the MDR menu for a particular evening. Can we just show up at the "my time dinning" location ...

You won't be able to just show up for "anytime dining". People who have selected this option have paid their gratuities in advance of sailing.

Even if the MDR is your regular dining venue, they will not let you show up for "anytime dining".

You won't be able to just show up for "anytime dining". People who have selected this option have paid their gratuities in advance of sailing.

Even if the MDR is your regular dining venue, they will not let you show up for "anytime dining".

They absolutely will, you can just show up for anytime dining if you are in blu. If there is room available they will seat you.

I think that the most correct answer lies somewhere in between "there is absolutely no problem with going to Select Dining in the MDR" and "this is absolutely not allowed".

For one thing, it will depend on if Select Dining is sold out, or oversold. In cases where there is already a space crunch, you may not be able to just show up and be seated there. On other itineraries, it may not be a problem. They would take your stateroom number and assign the tip that would have gone to the Blu servers to the Select Dining servers.

So, I would consult with the Select Dining Maitre'D on board and ask if there is a particular time where you might be accommodated, realizing that you might have to dine earlier or later than you would have otherwise.

In the case of M-class ships, you may be able to get the evening's meal from the MDR served to you in Blu, as their kitchens are not far apart. On S-class ships, this probably is not a good option. As stated, you may be able to get the meal but might not be happy with it as it might not be piping hot when it comes to you. Or they may simply turn down the request. Again, consult on board.

I think that the most correct answer lies somewhere in between "there is absolutely no problem with going to Select Dining in the MDR" and "this is absolutely not allowed".

For one thing, it will depend on if Select Dining is sold out, or oversold. In cases where there is already a space crunch, you may not be able to just show up and be seated there. On other itineraries, it may not be a problem. They would take your stateroom number and assign the tip that would have gone to the Blu servers to the Select Dining servers.

So, I would consult with the Select Dining Maitre'D on board and ask if there is a particular time where you might be accommodated, realizing that you might have to dine earlier or later than you would have otherwise.

In the case of M-class ships, you may be able to get the evening's meal from the MDR served to you in Blu, as their kitchens are not far apart. On S-class ships, this probably is not a good option. As stated, you may be able to get the meal but might not be happy with it as it might not be piping hot when it comes to you. Or they may simply turn down the request. Again, consult on board.

We recently sailed the Summit Aug 19th and they told us we could NOT order from the MDR in BLU and I saw no one else doing it either.

They absolutely will, you can just show up for anytime dining if you are in blu. If there is room available they will seat you.

Don,

Have you done this? I have. They were able to seat me in early or late sitting, but not anytime.

I believe cruisestitch explained it the best.:)

We recently sailed the Summit Aug 19th and they told us we could NOT order from the MDR in BLU and I saw no one else doing it either.

Wow- that is interesting!

We have just upgraded to Aqua to dine in Blu. I was just overjoyed to hear that escargo was back but from what I can tell it is not served in Blu, so I was planning on still having it there since I thought they were so willing to please!!!

It should be clear by now to anyone who cruises Celebrity (and likely other cruise lines) that some things differ by ship or by the current people in jobs on the ships. Since onion soup is one of the unlisted, but always available items in blu, my guess...and it is a guess is that escargot are also available or if you ask, they will try to get them for you on the next night. On some ships they will let you order from the MDR menu, others won't.

If you are in Blu, plan on eating what is offered in Blu and if you would prefer to eat in the MDR one or many nights, use select dining. You would not order something from Murano when eating in the Tuscan Grill.....why would you expect Blu to be different.

Hey...if it works out and you can get escargot or MDR dishes in Blu....terrific, but just don't count on it and you'll have a great cruise.

Don,

Have you done this? I have. They were able to seat me in early or late sitting, but not anytime.

I believe cruisestitch explained it the best.:)

Yes I have done it and so have many people who reported it on this board....Remember in my original post, I said if available.

I believe it depends on the ship and the time of year.

We were on the Eclipse at the end of July beginning of August this year which is peak holiday season in the UK. A wonderful Baltic cruise.

My son has special dietary needs and needs a large amount of calories to get enough goodness out of his food particularly high fat foods. We knew Blu was the healthy option but had not calculated on missing so many lunches due to the high port intensive cruise. At first the request for a crime brûlée for the next evenings dinner was refused and not in a good way. We were already feeling like second class citizens as we were in a party of 4 and all four top tables are positioned away from the large picture window and therefore if you choose to eat before 7.30pm you eat in splendid isolation. This may sound lovely but in reality the waiters are busy in the crowded window section and therefore service was a bit slower for us. For all those who will say this is a good thing sitting down at 6.30p.m and almost missing the 9 pm show was starting to get tedious.

Swopping to Select in the main dinning room was not an option it was full.

If it hadn't been for the 'experienced Blu Americans' who simply told my husband he was too polite and that the Asst. Maitre'd was a A** we would have been put of Blu for life. As it happens a majority of Blu's guests were getting angry at the refusal of simple requests and the tide turned, Blu got its act together and it turned into one of the best cruises we have ever taken.

My advice is don't count on being able to dine Select in MDR. Speak quietly to the Maitre'd on entering Blu if you have a reasonable request, be polite but firm. Try to ask for things for the next evening if possible.

AND if a charming and wonderful chap from the States is on the next table dressed in the most hideous Hawaiian shirt it is possible to image 'Thank God.'

I would like to add the best thing about Blu is not the food but the atmosphere. It is a bit like Azamara or Seabourn in that you get to know your fellow passengers either just to smile and nod to, to ask about their day or to become firm friends.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Yes I have done it and so have many people who reported it on this board....Remember in my original post, I said if available.

OOPS! My bad. I overlooked that your original post said "if available'.

Wow- that is interesting!

We have just upgraded to Aqua to dine in Blu. I was just overjoyed to hear that escargo was back but from what I can tell it is not served in Blu, so I was planning on still having it there since I thought they were so willing to please!!!

You might want to alert them of your desire the night before. I did this once in the past; and, iIreceived ecargot every night thereafter until I advised them that I had had enough.

Regarding the OPs question, we had the same exact issue on the Silhouette when we were in Aqua Class. On one evening we did not like anything on the Blu Menu and the MDR menu was one of its best. So rather then make it difficult for the Blu waiter and request they get all of our dished from the main galley (they do not like to do this because it takes them a lot of time) we decided to simply dine in the MDR with the Select crowd. We went to the MDR about 8 and the man at the door checked our cabin number and said we could not dine in Select since we were assigned to Blu. So we walked all the way back over to Blu and talked to our Maitre D. He called his counterpart in the MDR and arranged for us to dine at a late seating assigned table. He told us that he could normally arrange for us to go to either the first or 2nd seating...but not to Select.

Hank

The only think consistent about Celebrity is their inconsistency. We have been told on multiple cruises in Aqua that we were welcome to dine in Select Dining if we prefered to eat in the MDR one night. Obviously, you were told something completely different.

I guess each cruise is an adventure....

The only think consistent about Celebrity is their inconsistency. We have been told on multiple cruises in Aqua that we were welcome to dine in Select Dining if we prefered to eat in the MDR one night. Obviously, you were told something completely different.

I guess each cruise is an adventure....

You are soooo right. In fact, in that experience I related in the previous post we had been "told" at Blu that we could just go to Select anytime we wanted. But the one time we tried doing just that the Maitre D at Select refused to seat us since we were assigned to Blu. So one cannot always believe what they are told :)

Hank

Archived