4th of July

music

We were on the Navigator on 4th July this year and were very disappointed that there were no celebrations or reference to Independence Day at all. There were a few flags that passengers themselves had put up around the pool but that was it. No American themed cocktails, music or food (other than the usual in Johnny Rockets). Thought they may have had a parade in the Royal Promenade but no they didn't. We spoke to many Amercans who were also disappointed that it wasn't celebrated but the majority on the ship were Italians so perhaps that is why, they cater for the masses don't they?

The 4th of July is an AMERICAN holiday....the ship isn't even registered in America....therefore, this day is no different than any other.

The ship is full of Americans, takes US dollars, is marketed to Americans

and sails from America. That day is different to the vast majority of people on the ship. Thanksgiving is celebrated onboard.

I was on the Radiance this past 4th of July and we were in Alaska docked that day in Ketchikan. Not only was the centrum decorated, but the captain and crew had a "float" in the Ketchikan parade. It was very fun and very festive. The orchestra also did a special performance that night with patriotic music.

So maybe the port you're at can determine this? Also, from talking with some crew members, the decision to participate in the parade was kind of last minute. We had a stand-in cruise director that week, as the regular Radiance CD was out on bereavement, so maybe it was a joint last minute decision with him and the captain? I can't say for sure as they didn't invite me to their meetings (:)), but we definitely enjoyed the fruits of their decision.

Tracy

Maybe it depends on the captain? I can't imagine that it would be a big deal to toss some flags around but I doubt they would celebrate with fireworks or anything. I don't get the snotty comments about AMERICAN holiday though. I think it was a fair question.

We were on Oasis on the 4th this year and they celebrated with festive activities, cake, anthem, ballons etc... It was held at 8pm and the 70s party followed later in the night.

As a Canadian they acknowledged July 1st, but no events. That being said the 4th of July celebrations were done tastefully.

We (and other posters) were on the Enchantment docked in Newport, RI-so we got the benefit of being in the US. Since we didn't get back on board until 3pm, I'm assuming that most events happened on land.

But the best part was that we didn't leave the port until watching the fireworks put on by Newport. Roughly 2 hour after the actual scheduled departure.

It was a great show.

Archived