Photo intensive review of Oasis (Aug 25, 2012) and Universal Studios

cruisinskier

Thanks so much for posting this review. We are hoping to do exactly the same thing next August, but also adding a cruise on Enchantment after Oasis. We also want to spend a couple of days at Universal before heading down to FL. Do you think it would be feasible to drive down on the morning of the sailing? We so want to make a full day on the Friday before driving down on the Saturday morning to board Oasis.

Your Harry Potter photos have made the kids even more excited. Do you think you gained very much time in the park by staying at Universal? I only ask as you said there were still big queues before 8am. We were considering staying at perhaps a Marriott brand hotel near to the park :confused:

Thanks again.

Thanks so much for posting this review. We are hoping to do exactly the same thing next August, but also adding a cruise on Enchantment after Oasis. We also want to spend a couple of days at Universal before heading down to FL. Do you think it would be feasible to drive down on the morning of the sailing? We so want to make a full day on the Friday before driving down on the Saturday morning to board Oasis.

Your Harry Potter photos have made the kids even more excited. Do you think you gained very much time in the park by staying at Universal? I only ask as you said there were still big queues before 8am. We were considering staying at perhaps a Marriott brand hotel near to the park :confused:

Thanks again.

Hi and thanks for your comments. We did consider staying later at Universal or we were also considering a day at Disney and then coming down early Saturday. It is a good 3.5 - 4 hour drive. We did also look into a shuttle service to take us one way from Universal to the Port however it was going to be approx $450-500 so we went with the rental car.

Given Universal closes around 8:00pm, I would suggest you would be better to drive down that night so you are at the port in time for your cruise. The other option is to book something half way and it breaks up the drive and leaves only a short 2 hour drive on embarkation day. It may be the cautious part of me but I always want to be near the port the day before embarkation as too much can happen.....

As to your question of did we save any time, well yes we did. Within the first hour of the park opening, the wait times for the Forbidden Journey ranged from 75-120 minutes and stayed there for most of the day. So our 45 minutes was not really so bad and walking through the queue is part of the experience. The lines did die down later around 6:00pm which is when we went back and did the ride for a second time with roughly a 45 minute wait again. Hope this helps and happy planning!

Thanks so much for this review, we go on her next year. I also enjoyed your review of the NCL Epic. If you have the time to a comparison btw the two, I'd enjoy reading your opinion.

Hi TN, yes we have been lucky enough to do the Oasis and Epic. There are more similarities than differences I think. They are the only 2 cruises I had to pre-book everything including shows, meals, etc. We felt there was more nightlife on the Epic, the spa was better on the Epic (if you book the weekly package), the layout much better on Oasis (some halls just end on the Epic), the cabins were similar even with the so called bathroom issues on Epic, food options were close but I will give the edge to the Oasis given the healthier choices in the Solarium Bistro and the fact Chops was great again! Entertainment was similar but I would actually give the edge to Epic (and so did my teenagers). The best night-time venue we have had on a cruise was the Howl at the Moon duelling pianos on Epic. Water slides on Epic vs. rock climbing, zip line and flowrider on Oasis.

In the end, I would gladly do them both again and not sure I could outright pick one over the other. All I can say is our next cruise will not be on either.....just because we like to keep trying different things. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy!!

Hi all. We recently returned from our vacation which included a pre-cruise trip to Universal Studios followed by a week on the Oasis from Aug 25- Sept 1, 2012. We were lucky to sneak out of port just before Hurricane Isaac hit the coast and closed the port later that night. I have started the Oasis review which is still in the early stages but will be adding lots of info over the next few days and will add a few hundred photos as well (I have about 2,000 photos from the trip to choose from).

I have just completed our photo review of Universal Studios for anyone thinking of doing that pre or post cruise.

Our reviews can be found here:

Oasis: http://bondfamilytravel.com/rci-oasis-of-the-seas-2012.html

Universal: http://bondfamilytravel.com/orlando-florida-universal-studios-2012.html

As always, I am glad to assist with any questions you may have.

I hope this info assists with your future plans. Enjoy!

Jerry

I'm loving each and every second of this review. Your pictures are beautiful and your family is gorgeous.

I'm loving each and every second of this review. Your pictures are beautiful and your family is gorgeous.

Cheryl, thank you for your kind words. It was fun to spend time together as a family as we will not have too many more of these. My son has graduated and is now working full time and my daughter is away in her second year of University so the house is now pretty quiet.

I hope to add more photos tonight. Enjoy!

OK, I found the info...it was $99 pp or $169 per couple for access to what they call the "Unlimited Thermal Suite Package" but then there were 2 additional couples only rooms that you could access if you paid $250 for the week.

Additional couples rooms??? This is the first I've heard of this. We were thinking about booking the $169 couples package, but I'd be up for an additional $80 if those rooms were worth it. Do you know what they entailed?

Additional couples rooms??? This is the first I've heard of this. We were thinking about booking the $169 couples package, but I'd be up for an additional $80 if those rooms were worth it. Do you know what they entailed?

The 2 rooms are both in my photos of the spa. Don't qoute me on this as we are going by memory but I believe one was a double jacuzzi room and one was for a mud treatment.

The 2 rooms are both in my photos of the spa. Don't qoute me on this as we are going by memory but I believe one was a double jacuzzi room and one was for a mud treatment.

I saw those pictures and wondered if they were the rooms you mentioned. Thanks!

We were on this sailing with you :) I agree, Isaac really didn't affect the ride except for the first night at dinner very slightly. Also, we are so lucky to have gotten under the radar with Isaac---the Allure not being so lucky. This week they also had a woman overboard. There must be a black cloud over the Allure.

Really enjoying your review. We did the shows in the same order as you also. Funny. Your pictures are great. I wish I had taken more. My family gets aggrevated with me when I'm always stopping and posing them. But you have great shots. I'm going to make a photobook on Shutterfly. I may cut and paste some of yours since you were there same time as us? Would that be ok??? Keep 'em coming. I'm enjoying your review. I haven't looked at the Universal yet but its been 20+ years since we've been there and that may be our next trip ;)

Thanks for sharing

We were on this sailing with you :) I agree, Isaac really didn't affect the ride except for the first night at dinner very slightly. Also, we are so lucky to have gotten under the radar with Isaac---the Allure not being so lucky. This week they also had a woman overboard. There must be a black cloud over the Allure.

Really enjoying your review. We did the shows in the same order as you also. Funny. Your pictures are great. I wish I had taken more. My family gets aggrevated with me when I'm always stopping and posing them. But you have great shots. I'm going to make a photobook on Shutterfly. I may cut and paste some of yours since you were there same time as us? Would that be ok??? Keep 'em coming. I'm enjoying your review. I haven't looked at the Universal yet but its been 20+ years since we've been there and that may be our next trip ;)

Thanks for sharing

Hi Mich! Yes I agree we were very lucky with the minimal impact of the storm. Also there is another thread where it appears there was lots of movement on the Oasis on another recent sailing impacted by rollers caused by Hurricane Leslie even though it was no where nearby.

With regards to the photos, I have no problem with you using them for your personal use. And yes my family gets tired of me taking the photos but then they want them for Facebook, etc when we get home....

Hope you had a great time on the Oasis and more photos to come shortly....

Hi all. The day 3 photos have now been added including the ice show and the Flowrider. Tomorrow I hope to add the St Thomas photos including our private charter of a sailboat to snorkel with the seas turtles.

Have a great night. Enjoy!

Such a fantastic review!!! I can't get over it. I also did the Fury Charter, it was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Sadly, I have no pictures of the beautiful turtles because I was using a disposable underwater camera and the film was exposed to the light somehow....:( I am loving reliving the memories of that day by looking at your beautiful turtle shots. I see your cute daughter holding the urchin....I got to do that too. I am on Oasis on December 8, 2012 with my daughter who is the same age....... She is going to love it!!!!! I am definitely getting her a flowrider lesson......... can I ask how many were in the class with your kids???

Such a fantastic review!!! I can't get over it. I also did the Fury Charter, it was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Sadly, I have no pictures of the beautiful turtles because I was using a disposable underwater camera and the film was exposed to the light somehow....:( I am loving reliving the memories of that day by looking at your beautiful turtle shots. I see your cute daughter holding the urchin....I got to do that too. I am on Oasis on December 8, 2012 with my daughter who is the same age....... She is going to love it!!!!! I am definitely getting her a flowrider lesson......... can I ask how many were in the class with your kids???

Hi Cheryl. Glad you are enjoying the review and thank you for your kind comments. I agree our private excursion on the Fury was a fantastic day! Captain Mike took very good care of us. Too bad you had issues with your photos but the memories of the experience will always be with you.

With regards to the Flowrider, there were 6 or 7 kids in the class. They actually had classes going on both Flowriders that night. I believe they limit the class to a max of 8 people. Enjoy your trip on Oasis with your daughter!!

Ok, glad it is working....could be the site host having issues?? I am working on finishing day 4 as we speak so more to come shortly.....

Yeah it looked like a hosting issue or maybe broken files since it was only some pictures. But no worries it's working.

cool, I am waiting while watching "Tanked"

Hi all. Our photos from St Maarten have now been added including Mullet Bay, Maho Beach, Marigot, Orient Beach and Philipsburg. We had a great day touring with Joyce Prince. If anyone needs it, the link to the review and hundreds of photos is in my signature below. Enjoy!

Archived