ms Amsterdam

luvteaching

Good morning,

Due to weather conditions the Amsterdam didn't make Homer yesterday. This was confirmed on the "Your Fleet Locations" page and I looked at the web cam several times yesterday. Does anyone know where they "sheltered" and/or if they made Kodiak today?

Good morning,

Due to weather conditions the Amsterdam didn't make Homer yesterday. This was confirmed on the "Your Fleet Locations" page and I looked at the web cam several times yesterday. Does anyone know where they "sheltered" and/or if they made Kodiak today?

They probably just have an extra sea day .

Good morning Kamloops 50! I was born at the Royal Inland 59 years ago and lived in Kamloops for a short time. I have a lot of extended family up there. Have you lived in Kamloops for very long? I always feel like I'm home when we visit!

Karen

Good morning Kamloops 50! I was born at the Royal Inland 59 years ago and lived in Kamloops for a short time. I have a lot of extended family up there. Have you lived in Kamloops for very long? I always feel like I'm home when we visit!

Karen

DW was born in Kamloops . We have lived here since 1999.

This is going to be our retirement home.

I looked on the camera yesterday and the weather looked horrible in Homer.

It is mid-September and the likelihood of unpleasant weather definitely increases this time of year. Hopefully the bad weather does not last long. It is so disappointed to plan the trip of a lifetime and then have to miss ports.

As of about three hours ago the Sapphire Princess was still docked in Whittier waiting out the storm at sea. She was supposed to sail yesterday. We are on the Zuiderdam this Saturday out of Vancouver and anticipating a rocky trip, rain, and cold. In early July this year we also did Alaska and had rain and cold. Not a good summer in Alaska this year.

These reports are making me marginally less disappointed about not being able to afford to go on that cruise. Marginally less disappointed.

As for weather in September, some of the best weather I've experienced in Alaska was on a mid-September cruise. As another poster said, it is the luck of the draw.

As for weather in September, some of the best weather I've experienced in Alaska was on a mid-September cruise. As another poster said, it is the luck of the draw.

We were in Alaska - on the Amsterdam - the second week of September in 2007. We had everything from cold and freezing, rough waters one night (I was knocked out on Benadryl!) to blue sunny skies in the low 70's.

Oh wow - how disappointing to miss those three ports - Homer and Kodiak in particular! Such a shame for those folks sailing who were looking forward to spending time in those wonderful towns. On the bright side, think of the stories these folks will be able to tell us about their adventures on this, the last 14 day sailing of the Amsterdam! I'm so glad that the two times I took that 14 day sailing, we had some pretty great weather and didn't miss a port.

We just completed the previous cruise on Amsterdam that returned to Seattle on Sept. 7. Thank God our weather was good and we did not miss a single port. A few folks were disappointed about a couple of days of rain but nothing that could not be handled and the overall trip was just fine. What a difference a couple of weeks makes! We feel so sorry for the folks on this final cruise as Homer and certainly Kodiak are very special ports that made this itinerary so special.

RonJoan

We did the Aug. 24 to Sept. 7 cruise and we loved those ports. What about Sitka. That one is near the end so maybe that is "up in the air" yet. It is also and island but Anchorage is the mainland.

We were originally thinking about taking the current cruise Sept. 7 to 21 but due to a very important appointment on the 19th we picked the earlier one. Quite happy with our choice now. Not like we can repeat it next year as it is a NO GO then from what I understand.

Apparently the Amsterdam didn't make Anchorage, Kodiak, or Homer. What a shame as those ports were the highlights of the cruise for us in 2010 (Hi, Karen :) ). But I'd rather be safe than sorry, for sure!

http://www.kmxt.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4128&Itemid=2

Thank you for the update.

Sorry that the Amsterdam missed those ports. Those ports are one of the main reasons people booked this 14 day cruise.

Glad we were able to do this cruise last year and this year.

My inlaws plus my brother-in-law and his wife are on that cruise, and he texted us a copy of the letter from the captain. (I can't figure out how to get it on here or I'd share it.) It's dated 14 September and says:

"It is with regret that I have to inform you that I have cancelled our calls to Homer and Kodiak. This is due to the fact that the area is going to be affected by storm-force winds and -seas during tomorrow and Sunday."

Then he tells them they would be in 28-foot seas, and that he (with consultation from Seattle) is going to make for Cape Spencer and not stop at Hubbard Glacier or Yakutat Bay because of more extreme weather there.

He explains the route to Skagway should be calmer, and they should have berthed in Skagway this morning to spend the day there.

Then he goes on:

"I have to advise you that the weather when we cross the Gulf of Alaska is going to be rough; winds of up to 50 mph and seas of 15-20 feet are forecast, optimistically we will stay ahead of the worst of it."

Then he warns them to put away breakable things and to be careful when out and about. He says he will do his utmost to decrease the movement of the ship and assures them their HAL-booked shore excursions for the missed stops will be refunded. He thanks them for their understanding.

It is signed Captain Jonathan Mercer.

My MIL and SIL are probably sick. Oh boy! But I bet RuthC is having the time of her life!!!

Robin

Robin, thanks for posting. So it sounds like they must have made it to Anchorage and then high-tailed it back across the Gulf. But then they had to miss Hubbard Glacier on top of missing Homer and Kodiak.

Uggg - 50 mph winds and 28' seas :eek: - makes me turn green just reading about them.

And yes, there will be tales to tell! Should make for some interesting trip reports.

We just completed the previous cruise on Amsterdam that returned to Seattle on Sept. 7. Thank God our weather was good and we did not miss a single port. A few folks were disappointed about a couple of days of rain but nothing that could not be handled and the overall trip was just fine. What a difference a couple of weeks makes! We feel so sorry for the folks on this final cruise as Homer and certainly Kodiak are very special ports that made this itinerary so special.

RonJoan

This is why Budget Queen repeatedly reminds people that anytime after the first week of September you are in the window of potentially rough weather along the cruise route. Unfortunately last year and this year some of the end of the season cruises have experienced missed ports. Good advice to plan earlier even if it will cost you more.

This is why Budget Queen repeatedly reminds people that anytime after the first week of September you are in the window of potentially rough weather along the cruise route. Unfortunately last year and this year some of the end of the season cruises have experienced missed ports. Good advice to plan earlier even if it will cost you more.

Your post sounds as though you are, to some degree, blaming the pax for whatever missed ports and/or discomfort they may suffer. Not everyone has the luxury of taking vacation time whenever they wish.

For us, my DH's vacation schedule is quite restricted. He can't take vacation in June, July or August. I'm self-employed so I do NOT plan vacation during periods when I am traditionally busy.

Our next cruise to AK is booked for September because that is when we can both go.

Who in the h*** is Budget Queen and where has she "repeatedly reminded" us?

RonJoan

A little OT here...

I've always been of the opinion that any time in Alaska is best done for a long period of time. That while cruisins is awesome, that is one place to get INTO.

I guess that is due to Charles Sheldon's GREAT book "The Wilderness of Denali". Beyond the senseless shooting of everything in sight, I'd love to retrace his time in Denali!

Back on topic, I sure hope that any lost time in port doesn't put folks off from cruising as it is a great value/time/vacaction.

Derek

Archived