ms Amsterdam

luvteaching

Your post sounds as though you are, to some degree, blaming the pax for whatever missed ports and/or discomfort they may suffer. Not everyone has the luxury of taking vacation time whenever they wish.

For us, my DH's vacation schedule is quite restricted. He can't take vacation in June, July or August. I'm self-employed so I do NOT plan vacation during periods when I am traditionally busy.

Our next cruise to AK is booked for September because that is when we can both go.

I did not mean to offend or blame anyone who made the choice to cruise this late in the season. I am sorry if that is how my post came off and it was not my intention.

My post was meant to inform anyone who may be planning a future cruise that September does have the potential for rougher weather. I fully understand that if this is the only time someone can travel to Alaska, then it surely is better than not going at all. However, for those just beginning to plan a trip to Alaska, and who do have flexibility of travel time, it is good to be aware of the time frames when you are more likely to encounter unpleasant weather. I just call it part of making an informed decision. I used the knowledge of posters on CC when I planned both my 2008 and 2011 trips to AK.

Again I am sorry if my post offended you or anyone else. That was not my intent.

My inlaws plus my brother-in-law and his wife are on that cruise, and he texted us a copy of the letter from the captain. (I can't figure out how to get it on here or I'd share it.) It's dated 14 September and says:

"It is with regret that I have to inform you that I have cancelled our calls to Homer and Kodiak. This is due to the fact that the area is going to be affected by storm-force winds and -seas during tomorrow and Sunday."

Then he tells them they would be in 28-foot seas, and that he (with consultation from Seattle) is going to make for Cape Spencer and not stop at Hubbard Glacier or Yakutat Bay because of more extreme weather there.

He explains the route to Skagway should be calmer, and they should have berthed in Skagway this morning to spend the day there.

Then he goes on:

"I have to advise you that the weather when we cross the Gulf of Alaska is going to be rough; winds of up to 50 mph and seas of 15-20 feet are forecast, optimistically we will stay ahead of the worst of it."

Then he warns them to put away breakable things and to be careful when out and about. He says he will do his utmost to decrease the movement of the ship and assures them their HAL-booked shore excursions for the missed stops will be refunded. He thanks them for their understanding.

It is signed Captain Jonathan Mercer.

My MIL and SIL are probably sick. Oh boy! But I bet RuthC is having the time of her life!!!

Robin

Thank for your report.

I appreciate your getting the text message onto here.

Who in the h*** is Budget Queen and where has she "repeatedly reminded" us?

RonJoan

She is well known on the Alaskan board.

She usually tried to do 2 Alaskan cruises each year. She has sailed on quite a few different ships including HAL.

I couldn't even hope to keep track of all the different tours that she has done -- independently.

Robin, thanks for posting. So it sounds like they must have made it to Anchorage and then high-tailed it back across the Gulf. But then they had to miss Hubbard Glacier on top of missing Homer and Kodiak.

Uggg - 50 mph winds and 28' seas :eek: - makes me turn green just reading about them.

And yes, there will be tales to tell! Should make for some interesting trip reports.

Yes we did make Anchorage - and then did exactly that and hi-tailed in across the gulf. We were sorry that we missed Homer and Kodiak but from what Captain Mercer said, we would not have have fun in those ports anyway - storm force winds in Homer :( and he was not prepared to take the ship thru the reefs into Kodiak.

And of course we missed Hubbard ...... But when a door closes, someone opens a window - and that was that another ship (Princess I think) was storm bound in Anchorage and the Amsterdam picked up her spot in Glacier Bay. Wow, what wonderful scenery and an absolutely perfect sunny day! We were so lucky :)

And now it is over ..... :(

Welcome home! Glad to hear the trip was salvaged somewhat w/the add on of Glacier Bay - how wonderful for you! Sorry you missed Kodiak and Homer, they are just lovely. But gives you a reason to go back, now doesn't it? Doing those two ports on land would be quite an adventure, particularly Kodiak, not easy to get to, but I say go for it!:D My 2 trips on the Amsterdam's 14 day itinerary made me fall in love w/Homer, so much so that we're going back next year (land trip only) and have found a lovely cabin to rent for a week. So excited!

I just got off the Amsterdam, and lotsasmiles summed it up just great. YES, it was a bit disappointing that we missed Homer, Kodiak and Hubbard Glacier, major reasons for the cruise, BUT it is better to be safe than sorry. We were compensated with a glass of wine at dinner on Saturday, :rolleyes:. The Captain made the choices that needed to be made and I am Thankful for that. We had a beautiful day in Glacier Bay, the Park Ranger stated several times how great the weather was for us. Instead of Homer and Kodiak we were treated to some rough weather for 2 days, but the Captain and crew made every effort to keep the ship steady. I had the last cabin starboard aft Verandah 6, it was great to be rocked to sleep everynight. It is my new favorite room!!

It is nice to see that so many of you were thinking of us on our adventure. It was a GREAT trip.

Hi Teri - so glad you had a great time, despite the missed ports. Sounds like you made the best of it, and enjoyed your time in Alaska, and on the lovely Amsterdam in spite of missed ports and missing the massive Hubbard Glacier. The crew on the Amsterdam are just lovely, aren't they? They truly go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to insure that you enjoy your trip. Happy to hear you like being rocked to sleep like we do - thats why we prefer the aft - not to mention the stunning wake views surrounded by Alaska. Nothing finer! Again, welcome home!

I was on the Amsterdam for this cruise and like others was disappointed to miss Homer, Kodiak and Hubbard Glacier but Captain Mercer did right by us with Glacier Bay.... and the added sighting in the vicinity of the Johns Hopkins Glacier of a black wolf sauntering along the beach was an added bonus. The two days from Anchorage to Glacier Bay were bouncy and when we started into the Bay it looked like it was going to be pretty foggy and cold. But the sun came out and all was well. I am hoping they will reinstate this 14 day cruise in another couple of years. If you are like me and have to fly a distance to catch the ship, 7 days is just not long enough.

Susan

My inlaws plus my brother-in-law and his wife are on that cruise, and he texted us a copy of the letter from the captain. (I can't figure out how to get it on here or I'd share it.) It's dated 14 September and says:

"It is with regret that I have to inform you that I have cancelled our calls to Homer and Kodiak. This is due to the fact that the area is going to be affected by storm-force winds and -seas during tomorrow and Sunday."

Then he tells them they would be in 28-foot seas, and that he (with consultation from Seattle) is going to make for Cape Spencer and not stop at Hubbard Glacier or Yakutat Bay because of more extreme weather there.

He explains the route to Skagway should be calmer, and they should have berthed in Skagway this morning to spend the day there.

Then he goes on:

"I have to advise you that the weather when we cross the Gulf of Alaska is going to be rough; winds of up to 50 mph and seas of 15-20 feet are forecast, optimistically we will stay ahead of the worst of it."

Then he warns them to put away breakable things and to be careful when out and about. He says he will do his utmost to decrease the movement of the ship and assures them their HAL-booked shore excursions for the missed stops will be refunded. He thanks them for their understanding.

It is signed Captain Jonathan Mercer.

My MIL and SIL are probably sick. Oh boy! But I bet RuthC is having the time of her life!!!

Robin

RuthC and I must be cut from the same cloth. I love this type of weather. A few years ago I was on the Maasdam doing a Canada/New England cruise. After leaving Bar Harbour we got caught for two days in 47' seas, gale force 9 winds and listing to port side until the ballast tanks could be filled - which took one hour. The ship creaked and cracked all night, wardrobe doors kept banging (I need duct tape), t.v.s were falling on the sheft amongth other stuff (no sleep those two nights). I'll spare you the details on the damage uncovered in the morning. Some passengers even got off at the next port with their suitcases!!!

Yes we did make Anchorage - and then did exactly that and hi-tailed in across the gulf. We were sorry that we missed Homer and Kodiak but from what Captain Mercer said, we would not have have fun in those ports anyway - storm force winds in Homer :( and he was not prepared to take the ship thru the reefs into Kodiak.

And of course we missed Hubbard ...... But when a door closes, someone opens a window - and that was that another ship (Princess I think) was storm bound in Anchorage and the Amsterdam picked up her spot in Glacier Bay. Wow, what wonderful scenery and an absolutely perfect sunny day! We were so lucky :)

And now it is over ..... :(

Welcome Home

Glad that you were able to get to Glacier Bay in place of Hubbard Glacier.

Sorry about Homer and Kodiak.

I was on the Amsterdam for this cruise and like others was disappointed to miss Homer, Kodiak and Hubbard Glacier but Captain Mercer did right by us with Glacier Bay.... and the added sighting in the vicinity of the Johns Hopkins Glacier of a black wolf sauntering along the beach was an added bonus. The two days from Anchorage to Glacier Bay were bouncy and when we started into the Bay it looked like it was going to be pretty foggy and cold. But the sun came out and all was well. I am hoping they will reinstate this 14 day cruise in another couple of years. If you are like me and have to fly a distance to catch the ship, 7 days is just not long enough.

Susan

I agree -- 7 day cruises are just too short.

And for us it is not worth the hassle to fly across country just for 7 days.

I, too, just returned from this cruise, and thought it was great!. I got exactly what I signed up for, which was a 2-week cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam. Specific ports are always a bonus when you do get the planned itinerary.

Sure, I would have liked to return to Homer (been there twice), and am always ready to sail up Yakutat Bay to Hubbard (been there more times than I can count). I've been to Kodiak, and have it as a port on another cruise, so was not disappointed to miss it, although I can understand why others might be. I was sort of sorry to miss the planned substitute of Skagway as I love that port, but Glacier Bay was a spectacular day. Who can be disappointed in that?

The ride was smooth for the most part, with a few speed bumps across the Gulf. It's water! It moves! One has to expect that when on a ship. Captain Mercer was outstanding (he is never any less), and the crew was as good as one would want.

All in all, it was a great time.

Archived