Venice hotel convenient to port &train station

wantocruisemore

Ok, we've decided that we will fly US to Venice 1 nt pre-cruise, go on cruise out of Venice, come back and stay at Venice hotel for 2 or 3 nts and then take a train to Rome for a few days. In Rome I am looking an apartment for 5 (since DD's friend will meet us there) that's walking distance to Termini.

I've tried looking through trip-advisor but keep getting confused trying to orient myself where everything in Venice is located. We decided since it's a short stay in Venice we would get a hotel with breakfast.

Any suggestions on Venice hotel that would meet our needs?

Ok, we've decided that we will fly US to Venice 1 nt pre-cruise, go on cruise out of Venice, come back and stay at Venice hotel for 2 or 3 nts and then take a train to Rome for a few days. In Rome I am looking an apartment for 5 (since DD's friend will meet us there) that's walking distance to Termini.

I've tried looking through trip-advisor but keep getting confused trying to orient myself where everything in Venice is located. We decided since it's a short stay in Venice we would get a hotel with breakfast.

Any suggestions on Venice hotel that would meet our needs?

www.hotelarlecchino.com or www.hotel-olimpia.com both are very close to the train station and Piazzale Roma. They are side by side and im planning on one of them for a 3 night post cruise stay in Nov 2013. There are also some nice ones very close to the train station. Look at www.venere.com for hotels in Venice in the Santa Croce of Carnaggerio neighborhoods.

Any suggestions on Venice hotel that would meet our needs?[/quote

www.veniceconnected.com click on Venice 360 map then click on city. Its the best virtual site ive seen for Venice.

www.hotelarlecchino.com or www.hotel-olimpia.com both are very close to the train station and Piazzale Roma. They are side by side and im planning on one of them for a 3 night post cruise stay in Nov 2013. There are also some nice ones very close to the train station. Look at www.venere.com for hotels in Venice in the Santa Croce of Carnaggerio neighborhoods.

These are both excellent recommendations if you want to stay in Venice either pre or post cruise in a 3 star hotel.

Have you considered the mainland near the Mestre train station in a 4 star hotel for less than half the price? Tritone, Plaza, etc. Easy to get from the Venice airport to the hotel, 10-15 minute quick bus or train to P. Roma in Venice from the hotel. When ready to head to Rome the train station is across the street. Just another option if budget is a factor.

I've stayed at the Hotel Antiche Figure. If you walk along the Grand Canal to get there- you will have to go over two large bridges. It was only after i stayed there for a few days- that I discovered that you can get there without going over the bridges. Look carefully at a map because if you take the route along the Grand Canal you will be forced to go over two bridges with your luggage. If you do the back alleys- you can take a small bridge instead. When going to the train station- you will either have to go over a large bridge (most direct route) or go through the alleys over a small bridge, walk through Piazzale Roma and take the new bridge to the train station.

No matter where you stay near the train station- you will have to haul your luggage over at least one bridge (to the train station) or take a vaporetto that criss crosses the Grand Canal.

To the OP- I think for the train station and port- the best place to stay is the Santa Chiara or Ca Doge.

Check out my Hotel Canal Grande and Hotel Papadopoli reviews in TripAdvisor.com. This will give you some insights on bag-drag difficulties, even for close in hotels such as the former and also Antiche Figure. We switched to the Hotel Papadopol for our return stay after a cruise because it was really close and only one bridge away from Piazzale Roma. We did see the Santa Chiara hotel which is probably the closest, but at least from the outside, it looked a little rough with construction going on right next to it.

Venice is pretty small so I wouldn't worry about trying to be close to major sights. You can walk to St Marks from the train station or Piazzale Roma in under an hour, or get a vaporetto pass to use the Grand Canal.

If you have more luggage than you can manage stay near the Piazzale Roma. The CaDoge and Santa Chiara are right on the square so there are no bridges to cross. The Olimpia,Arlecchino, Papodopoli and a few others only have 1 bridge to cross. Others in this site: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

If you need an elevator or AC you'll need to inquire.

Try www.venere.com/venice. Enter the dates, # of people and specify the Santa Croce area.

I will be staying at the Best Western Olimpia Hotel precruise in a few weeks ..... chosen because of it's proximity to the Piazzle Roma and the People Mover to the port. There is only one bridge to cross between it and the Piazzle. It's also not far to the Grand Canal and a vaporetto stop. It has a free breakfast that gets very good reviews too.

If you look it up on Trip Advisor, you can see photos of the facility, the rooms, and the garden behind it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We're booked at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia both for the 1 nt pre-cruise and for the 3 nts post-cruise. I liked the convenience to everything and trasportation options since we would be dealing with airport/cruise/train there.

And the nice thing is I booked through the Best Western site and got a discount for being Rewards Members. That discount saved me over $100. Every bit helps.

And although more expensive than finding a quad room, I went ahead and booked 2 rooms when there will be the 4 of us after the cruise.

Just stayed two nights at the BW Olimpia at Piaza Roma. Very short walk to the PeopleMover and a very short walk from the bus at PR or the train station, although from the train station there IS that HUGE bridge!

What did you think of the hotel? Any hints or recommendations for the area?

Tell me about the walk to the train station. How long and doable with luggage?

We also stayed at Hotel Olimpia a few weeks ago and highly recommend it! The hotel was very clean, breakfast was pretty good, and the free Wifi worked great. There is a supermarket (CoOp) around the corner from the Piazzle Roma. Bottled water is really cheap and if you want to bring some Buranelli cookies home, the packaged ones were pretty reasonable.

We also stayed at Hotel Olimpia a few weeks ago and highly recommend it! The hotel was very clean, breakfast was pretty good, and the free Wifi worked great. There is a supermarket (CoOp) around the corner from the Piazzle Roma. Bottled water is really cheap and if you want to bring some Buranelli cookies home, the packaged ones were pretty reasonable.

Do you by any chance know if the Co-op has any Gluten-free food?

We will be taking the train from Venice to Rome and my guess is will need to bring along lunch and water to eat. The co-op sounds like the best place to get the supplies.

Also, Hotel Olimpia promptly responded back to me that they would provide gluten-free breakfast options for my daughter who requires it. So far they seem really service oriented. What kind of breakfast did they have?

Do you by any chance know if the Co-op has any Gluten-free food?

We will be taking the train from Venice to Rome and my guess is will need to bring along lunch and water to eat. The co-op sounds like the best place to get the supplies.

Also, Hotel Olimpia promptly responded back to me that they would provide gluten-free breakfast options for my daughter who requires it. So far they seem really service oriented. What kind of breakfast did they have?

Hmmm I have no idea about gluten free items at the co-op. Its a pretty decent sized store so maybe they have some??? The translation in Italian for Gluten Free is Senza Glutine. Hopefully someone at the store can help you out!:o They also have a nice deli where I am sure they can make you a sandwich for your train ride.

The staff at Hotel Olimpia were super friendly!! Lets see for breakfast they had some cereal, milk, all kinds of breads/pastries, bowls of fruit, yogurt and some sliced local cheese and meats, hard boiled eggs, and I think a few hot items. They also bring to your table coffee, espresso, capucicno and tea. We had the same lady named Claudia every morning and she always remembered what we liked to drink and brought it out promptly.

I don't know if this will help, but the Italian government maintains a list of gluten free food products that you can access here: http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pagineAree_1270_listaFile_itemName_10_file.pdf

Thanks, it does.

When we were in Rome last summer I had printed out the cards that describe gluten-free. I also researched ahead of time some restaurants. I plan to do the same this spring.

Archived