Mixed airlines on our return?

MNfamilycruiser

I wouldn't do this by choice, but Air Tran cancelled our flight out of San Juan the Sunday after Thanksgiving.....my choices are now limited :mad:

One of our possible ways home is to fly Jet Blue out of San Juan to Orlando, then Delta from Orlando to home. But we have never mixed airlines like this before so I don't know how it works.

Would we have to get our luggage in Orlando ourselves and check in for our Delta flight? Or is there some way for it to go automatically on to the Delta flight?

The legacy carriers have agreements to transfer luggage. I am not sure if Jet Blue has agreements like that. You may want to call before booking. If you have to claim your luggage, maybe change terminals, check it in and then go thru security, you will need more then the usual time.

The legacy carriers have agreements to transfer luggage. I am not sure if Jet Blue has agreements like that. You may want to call before booking. If you have to claim your luggage, maybe change terminals, check it in and then go thru security, you will need more then the usual time.

Jet Blue arrives at 3:39, Delta departs at 6:05 - I am thinking that would be enough time.

Delta has a flight leaving SJU at 9:45 am....but I don't think we could make that:confused:

Made my choice, I did call Jet Blue - and they do not transfer luggage to other airlines.

But - I figured 2:35 hrs was enough to get our luggage, bring it back up to Delta, check it, and get on the Delta flight....hope I am right. But if we can't make it, at least Delta has many more flights out of Orlando.

We even saved $196 over our original AirTran fare, and the $80 in luggage fees we would have had. ;) I can always look on the bright side....

One risk of booking with two different carriers for flights on the same day is if the first flight is so delayed that it causes you to miss the second flight. If you are booked with two different carriers on completely separate tickets, if you miss the second flight because the first was delayed they have no obligation to put you on another flight. You might have to purchase same day tickets if you miss the second flight.

One risk of booking with two different carriers for flights on the same day is if the first flight is so delayed that it causes you to miss the second flight. If you are booked with two different carriers on completely separate tickets, if you miss the second flight because the first was delayed they have no obligation to put you on another flight. You might have to purchase same day tickets if you miss the second flight.

Well, its too late now ;) But I am assuming the risk is a bit less since the flight is from San Juan to Orlando - less chance of weather problems, and there are multiple flights both to Orlando and from Orlando.

Well, its too late now ;)
Didn't Napoleon say something like that after setting off for Russia?
But I am assuming the risk is a bit less since the flight is from San Juan to Orlando - less chance of weather problems, and there are multiple flights both to Orlando and from Orlando.
Not really. The jetBlue (B6) aircraft has to come from somewhere, and if there is a weather problem there (for example, JFK is the main B6 hub), a flight can be weather delayed even in perfect conditions in SJU. Even if the flight is not directly coming from a weather delayed hub, the cascading effect can affect an entire airline's operations.

Then you talk of "multiple flights". That doesn't necessarily help you - your B6 ticket won't be good on other flights out of SJU. And from MCO onward, if you miss your flight, DL doesn't care that you were delayed because of a B6 problem. To them, you are an originating passenger, originating at MCO. In fact, the fact that you didn't buy from DL out of SJU may make them even less sympathetic since you took business to a competitor.

Finally, in your other post you talk about savings on luggage fees. Have you forgotten that you will pay for your bags on DL?

So, your assumptions aren't as rosy as you may think.

Didn't Napoleon say something like that after setting off for Russia?

Not really. The jetBlue (B6) aircraft has to come from somewhere, and if there is a weather problem there (for example, JFK is the main B6 hub), a flight can be weather delayed even in perfect conditions in SJU. Even if the flight is not directly coming from a weather delayed hub, the cascading effect can affect an entire airline's operations.

Then you talk of "multiple flights". That doesn't necessarily help you - your B6 ticket won't be good on other flights out of SJU. And from MCO onward, if you miss your flight, DL doesn't care that you were delayed because of a B6 problem. To them, you are an originating passenger, originating at MCO. In fact, the fact that you didn't buy from DL out of SJU may make them even less sympathetic since you took business to a competitor.

Finally, in your other post you talk about savings on luggage fees. Have you forgotten that you will pay for your bags on DL?

So, your assumptions aren't as rosy as you may think.

Well, since I already panicked at finding us flights back home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and went ahead and booked.....my choices are: worry between now and the day we come home or hope for the best. At least Orlando is warmer than Russia.....

Unless you are aware of some way I could make changes now? Take out flight insurance on our Delta flights?

We have a Delta/American Express Gold card and the first piece of luggage is free for all of us.

I will remember for the next time why I prefer NOT to use AirTran - we have only flown with them 3-4 times and this is the 2nd time they made significant changes to the flights.

I will try to remember next time not to panic, and wait for advice here first...;) No promises though - being angry and worried tends to make me impatient.

Well, since I already panicked at finding us flights back home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and went ahead and booked.....my choices are: worry between now and the day we come home or hope for the best. At least Orlando is warmer than Russia.....

Unless you are aware of some way I could make changes now? Take out flight insurance on our Delta flights?

We have a Delta/American Express Gold card and the first piece of luggage is free for all of us.

I will remember for the next time why I prefer NOT to use AirTran - we have only flown with them 3-4 times and this is the 2nd time they made significant changes to the flights.

I will try to remember next time not to panic, and wait for advice here first...;) No promises though - being angry and worried tends to make me impatient.

;) Well because of your post - I decided to look into trip insurance - I think it will help cover our risk for a relatively low cost. Certainly less than the $400 we saved. Thank you for making me assess the risks more thoroughly.:D

;) Well because of your post - I decided to look into trip insurance - I think it will help cover our risk for a relatively low cost. Certainly less than the $400 we saved. Thank you for making me assess the risks more thoroughly.:D

Very risky strategy, booking two separate flights, especially for that time of year. It's already been pointed out that if you miss your DL flight, your DL ticket will be cancelled and they have no obligation to place you on another flight. For your date, I am wondering about available space on other flights anyway. It's a VERY heavy travel date.

Please read any travel insurance carefully as it doesn't cover every situation. Call and discuss your situation with an agent. Even if you find insurance that will cover this situation, what are you going to do if there's no space on any flight? And, read the limits of coverage. If you can find seats on another airline, you'd be paying walkup fares. Will the limits of the insurance cover this very high cost?

Very risky strategy, booking two separate flights, especially for that time of year. It's already been pointed out that if you miss your DL flight, your DL ticket will be cancelled and they have no obligation to place you on another flight. For your date, I am wondering about available space on other flights anyway. It's a VERY heavy travel date.

Please read any travel insurance carefully as it doesn't cover every situation. Call and discuss your situation with an agent. Even if you find insurance that will cover this situation, what are you going to do if there's no space on any flight? And, read the limits of coverage. If you can find seats on another airline, you'd be paying walkup fares. Will the limits of the insurance cover this very high cost?

Thank you - yes I have researched carefully and called Travelex to determine if it would be covered and to what amount. It is covered under Trip Interruption and up to 150% of my insured cost.....so $4500 hopefully would cover it? I guess I can cover more if needed.

Thank you - yes I have researched carefully and called Travelex to determine if it would be covered and to what amount. It is covered under Trip Interruption and up to 150% of my insured cost.....so $4500 hopefully would cover it? I guess I can cover more if needed.

Just for clarification purposes,,,, I hope you understand that insurance is "reimbursement" only. In other words, you have to buy the new tickets to get home. THEN, you apply for reimbursement with you travel insurance company.

Just for clarification purposes,,,, I hope you understand that insurance is "reimbursement" only. In other words, you have to buy the new tickets to get home. THEN, you apply for reimbursement with you travel insurance company.

Thank you, yes the insurance agent was clear about that as well. We would need to get documentation from both airlines involved too. My understanding is that you need to contact the insurance company immediately and find out from them what is necessary.

Hopefully it will never be tested - ;)

Archived