How do they do that?

Rebel54

How do they get the ship ready for boarding so fast? If the ship arrives at 0700 and you can board late morning, how do they get so many staterooms cleaned and ready so fast? Seems like it takes hotels for ever to get rooms ready after a 1200 check out, so how does HAL do it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

On turn around day many workers that are not needed in their normal jobs (e.g. entertainment and activities staff) are pressed into assisting the cabin stewards by "staging" supplies, delivering items to cabins for incoming guests, etc. We try to help by waiting for debarkation in a public area rather than in our cabin.

How do they get the ship ready for boarding so fast? If the ship arrives at 0700 and you can board late morning, how do they get so many staterooms cleaned and ready so fast? Seems like it takes hotels for ever to get rooms ready after a 1200 check out, so how does HAL do it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I wish I knew the secret!!! We have a 13 room B & B inn and it takes 2/3 girls from 9 to 3 to turn all the rooms! One thing I know for sure: Whether we only have a few rooms or a full house, it takes them the same amount of time. :-(

They fill up those dispensing shampoos, conditioners and shower gels the night before. I guess that saves a minute or so in the a.m. Many people have early flights and have to depart early so that gives them freed up cabins to do first.

Since the new dispenses were put on the ships, we have walked into our cabin on embarkation day and sometimes they were filled to the top -- other times only about 2/3 filled.

Many people go to public rooms and so this helps a lot. Stewards can get into rooms much quicker. It is amazing when one thinks about it. The ship docks around 7 (sometimes we get in before seven but Customs does not come on until after 7. Disembarkation starts around 7:20 or 7:30 and the ship is down to zero by 9:35 and new Passengers start boarding at 11:30 and the ship is out to sea by 5PM. Not only are all bags off and new bags on but food for the entire voyage is also loaded as are flowers for the Voyage.

Many people go to public rooms and so this helps a lot. Stewards can get into rooms much quicker. It is amazing when one thinks about it. The ship docks around 7 (sometimes we get in before seven but Customs does not come on until after 7. Disembarkation starts around 7:20 or 7:30 and the ship is down to zero by 9:35 and new Passengers start boarding at 11:30 and the ship is out to sea by 5PM. Not only are all bags off and new bags on but food for the entire voyage is also loaded as are flowers for the Voyage.

Agree Himself - their organization is amazing - I think the pick up of the bags the night before helps - as well as others pitching in to help the steward - but there is still an amazing number of things to do. They have it down to a fine art of organization.

I was shocked when we boarded the Veendam in May....walking down the hall to our stateroom, our luggage was coming the other way! To be fair, we didn't board til 12:30 - give or take - as that's when the Homeport Bus arrived from Boston....

Our upcoming cruise has a turnaround day so I intend to tell our stewards that as long as we have fresh towels they can overlook our room that day. An unmade bed won't kill us or I may just make it myself.

What a wonderful idea! Hope you don't mind but I think that I will do the same thing on our cruise in December.

Our upcoming cruise has a turnaround day so I intend to tell our stewards that as long as we have fresh towels they can overlook our room that day. An unmade bed won't kill us or I may just make it myself.

We did that on our back to back last December and when we got back to the ship it was cleaned and made up anyways :)

We did that on our back to back last December and when we got back to the ship it was cleaned and made up anyways :)

The important part is that you were kind enough to make the gesture. Maybe they finished all the new passengers' cabins first and then found time to do yours.

My guess is that ships have a lot more cabin stewards than hotels have room attendants.

The stewards are a group of dedicated, hard working individuals. Along with help from other staff, they are able to accomplish the task.

If only American workers were that hard working.

I know many American workers who are dedicated and very hard-working.

Archived