Concerns about Belize

soccersharon

Normally I'm not a nervous travel type. But, I have to admit to being a little nervous about our stop in Belize. We've booked a Carnival excursion (Altun Ha and Belize City tour) hoping we'd feel safer.

We are traveling with our kids, which ups the nervous factor for me.

To anyone who has traveled there very recently, please let me know what you experience was (the good, the bad, and the ugly).

Thanks to everyone in advance.

DW and I have been to Belize two times and have taken two excursions into the countryside without any incidents. We have been told by excursion operators not to venture past the dock area or into the countryside by yourself. Excursions are the safe way to go.

It is no problem. Stay in the tourist areas or go on a tour. I wouldn't walk around in non protected areas but then I would not walk around in Chicago in some areas either. In fact I'd say you'd be safer in Belize than in some areas of Chicago. Use street sense, you'll be fine. My 5 yr old has been to Belize 3 times, at age 2,4, and this past May. We have taken ship tours and a private tour. If you are real concerned take ship tours. By the way my husband works often in Central America and he likes Belize. It is a nice country, there is crime yes, but we have lots of crime here too. It is a very poor third world country. Our tourism dollars are important for their economy. He'll be there for a month next yr. on a job.

The cruise lines have done a thorough job of trying to convince cruisers that anyone wandering outside the "compound" in Belize is in grave danger. Now that couldn't be to keep you shopping at the compound stores from which they receive a kick-back or to get you to book excursions could it? ;) We have been twice and have had no problem walking around Belize City on our own, even with my young, petite sister-in-law. Some do not like to see others living in conditions worse than what they are used to or seeing a military presence and I think those are a lot of the ones put off by Belize City, but its really not bad at all. Yes, the locals will approach you (oh the horror!) and if they are selling wares will want you to look at them (terrifying ain't it?) but if given a chance most are very warm and friendly and want you to enjoy their city so get out and see it.

Or you could just stay on the ship and wait for a more man-made, Disneyfied stop like a "private island" or St. Thomas.

We did Altun Ha last August, we had our two DSs with us, they were 12 & 14 at the time. It was ok, the tender was the worst part. We didn't really feel scared at any time. But our bus sort of broke down-the emergency door flew open several times, so we were on the side of the road alone for like 30+ minutes. We weren't nervous or anything. It is mainly country on the way to the ruins. You should be ok. Just be ready for the tender.

I consider us fairly adventurous and usually have no compunctions about exploring no matter where we are. Belize City is the ONLY place the little internal warning signs have kicked in (raised hairs on the back of the neck, etc). We were on a Carnival excursion, the Belize City Tour, and I wandered off a block or so during a stop at a Cathedral just to get some local "flavor". I started to feel very uncomfortable and turned right back around to rejoin the group.

I heard Samantha Brown say the same thing on a show she did from Belize - reasonably safe, but always pay attention to what your senses are telling you and avoid those uncomfortable situations. She also turned around at one point while filming.

I would have no issues with returning to Belize City and surrounding areas, but I would not do it on my own, only as part of a group.

The cruise lines have done a thorough job of trying to convince cruisers that anyone wandering outside the "compound" in Belize is in grave danger. Now that couldn't be to keep you shopping at the compound stores from which they receive a kick-back or to get you to book excursions could it? ;) We have been twice and have had no problem walking around Belize City on our own, even with my young, petite sister-in-law. Some do not like to see others living in conditions worse than what they are used to or seeing a military presence and I think those are a lot of the ones put off by Belize City, but its really not bad at all. Yes, the locals will approach you (oh the horror!) and if they are selling wares will want you to look at them (terrifying ain't it?) but if given a chance most are very warm and friendly and want you to enjoy their city so get out and see it.

Or you could just stay on the ship and wait for a more man-made, Disneyfied stop like a "private island" or St. Thomas.

I have to agree with you on this. If you walk outside the doors to the Tourist Village where the tenders dock, and walk across the street tot he crafts/flea market, you'll find, friendlier folks to deal with and lower prices for the same merchandise inside the TV. While the hawkers are a bit on the aggressive side they are not out to mug you. The immediate area around the TV is home to some upper scale hotels and several embassies. Granted that when taking a taxi or tour outside of Belize City you have to travel through some of the poorer section of BC and the countryside is, for the most part, very poor.

I don't recall any reports of danger, muggings or murders to cruisers while in Belize City over the past few years. But I do recall that a young girl was killed by a gang related shoot out in St Thomas while she was on a cruise ship sponsored tour to what was supposedly a very safe place to be.

We went to Belize in April and did the Xunantunich Ruins tour through Carnival.

It included a 2 hour bus tour through Belize.

Never once did we feel unsafe.

We found the locals to be friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps.

We did this tour also and had the same experience. We felt safe on the tour. We didn't do any walking outside the port area in the city because it didn't appear to offer much and seemed a little sketchy. It's like touring any city, you just have to be aware and street smart.

We were in Belize not recently but I would say about 2009. We loved it. We heard all the things you did, even from the waiter at dinner. I was nervous getting off the ship. We had a ship booked excursion that went to Lamanai (and the New River) and it was fantastic. The tour guides especially were wonderful. Lots of information, warm and friendly. If we were ever to stop again I would book an excursion but would not hesitate to get off the ship.

You should be fine....

the "warnings" about Belize are more directed to deter folks from just walking out of the gate and grabbing a taxi....

I have walked outside of the compound (and over to the hotel to use their Internet)....

so any independent tours that are recommended here on the boards or the ship tours should be fine...

Like others have said, the cruise ship wants to keep you in their complex so you'll spend your money there. I've been to Belize four times and three times walked outside the complex to the local dive shop and encountered very friendly, helpful people. That's about a half-mile walk. The fourth time we took a dive trip that picked us up from the ship, otherwise we would have done the walk again.

I have been to Belize twice on a cruise........once in 2004 and again in December 2011. It was night and day how stuff had changed for the better in 7 years. In 2004 I was ready to get back on the ship after about 30 minutes :eek: because we saw people eating fire, a man with snakes draped all over him, and overall appeal of the downtown area.

I throughly enjoyed myself in 2011. We went on a city tour with Belize Tours Unlimited and it was a great way to see how stuff had changed :) and then we went to THE WET LIZARD (which is a bar/restaurant on the boardwalk. Its right by where the cruise ship tenders come in). You have to make a stop here.....if anything just to see all the dollar bills on the walls and ceiling :)

Thank you, everyone!

I live in a big city, so I'm pretty street-wise (at least here). We are doing a Carnival excursion, so am *hoping* the likelihood of issues is a bit less.

I am looking forward to this port and visiting Altun Ha. Not looking forward to seeing the poverty, but it is an opportunity for my kids to see how lucky they (we) are.

Happy cruising everyone!

We did a cave tubing tour with VIV tours on our trip to Belize in August. I never felt unsafe at any point. Outside the gate there were plenty of people selling stuff, but I feel as though the Belizians are not pushy at all, tell them no thank you and they back off right away, not so in many other islands/countries. There were 7 of us ranging in age from 9 to 45 so dont worry about your kids, if you are with a tour you are definitely safe.

I actually felt more nervouse in Camden NJ today when I took my son to the Aquarium!:)

We hung out in the dock area, had a Bilikin, then did a bunch of shopping. How do they sell real Coach for so cheap?? LOL. Still looks good. I thought the shopping area was fine. Wouldn't go out of area on my own though. But that 's a lot of the islands as well

Thats funny we live a couple of hours from NY and my wife buys a Louis Vuitton big travel bag in Belize

Archived