Fort Lauderdale - Embassy Suites

sail7seas

We have been staying at the Embassy Suites for past 20 years.

We avoid rooms in the front, back and over the pool/bar area, which leaves the east side as the best, which also looks towards the port. Floors 11 and 12 get you high enough to see ships clearly.

All the rooms are the same.

We avoid the front (street noise), back (the noise of air conditioning or other machinery plus elevator noisy issues) and the pool/bar area goes without saying.

We have noticed that the hotel is not as nice as it use to be ... now it serves RCCL very large ships... lots of families and kids running around making lots of noise. We actually first booked the Embassy because we were at a Marriott down the street that had lots of crazy cruisers running around making lots of noise and we could not sleep. The quiet relaxing Embassey Suites we use to enjoy is gone. Too bad.

Getting a taxi was a zoo there on our last trip. Next time we will make arrangement for a taxi at a specific time the night before.

We also found the hotel has contracted out the car parking service. WATCH OUT they automatically add a parking fee to your hotel bill even if you don't have a car. They removed it when we pointed it out but I would guess lots of folks are so excited about their cruise they don't pay attention. I think the fee was something like $17 per day.

We like the location, that is what keeps coming back, it is okay for one night.

Great post.

Very happy to hear all opinions especially when they hit on so many areas that are concerning.

Thank you.

We were recently at Hyatt Pier 66 for 8 or 9 nights and though both Oasis and Allure embarked/disembarked there were very few RCI cruisers at the hotel. I made it my business to pay attention on the mornings they came into and left port. I knew there had to be a number of cruisers either with children or not that stayed overnight somewhere and there weren't many at the Pier........ now I know where at least some of them stayed.

I think the economy is hitting most of the FLL hotels. They all seem to need some freshening and attention. The get run down very quickly if not tended to constantly, IMO

The former Marriott, now Hilton, across the bridge didn't look any too busy from our observations but we certainly don't know for sure. Yes, it was off season but those are huge ships that hold a lot of people. A certain percentage came to town at least one day pre cruise and many also stayed at least a day post cruise.

We avoid rooms in the front, back and over the pool/bar area, which leaves the east side as the best, which also looks towards the port. Floors 11 and 12 get you high enough to see ships clearly.

We avoid the front (street noise), back (the noise of air conditioning or other machinery plus elevator noisy issues) and the pool/bar area goes without saying.

We have noticed that the hotel is not as nice as it use to be ... now it serves RCCL very large ships... lots of families and kids running around making lots of noise. We actually first booked the Embassy because we were at a Marriott down the street that had lots of crazy cruisers running around making lots of noise and we could not sleep. The quiet relaxing Embassey Suites we use to enjoy is gone. Too bad.

Getting a taxi was a zoo there on our last trip. Next time we will make arrangement for a taxi at a specific time the night before.

We also found the hotel has contracted out the car parking service. WATCH OUT they automatically add a parking fee to your hotel bill even if you don't have a car. They removed it when we pointed it out but I would guess lots of folks are so excited about their cruise they don't pay attention. I think the fee was something like $17 per day.

We like the location, that is what keeps coming back, it is okay for one night.

That's interesting:confused: do you mind if I ask when you were last there? We weren't charged for car park fees nor anyone we were with (and YES I do check my bills).

We were there at what I would consider to be a peak time (March) and while there were a few children by the pool (and why wouldn't they be) we enjoyed watching them cavort and have fun - they stuck to one side and the adults to the other - it's a big pool - but the young people were not rude or annoying in any way - at least not for us.

No problem for us to leave as we wanted -doesn't mean you didn't have an issue - but you have me wondering?

And I totally agree as to where to book - I requested the top level to see the ships when I booked and was pleasantly surprised that all of us got exactly that :D Haven't been elsewhere in the hotel - but I made the same request again for our next booking and hopefully we get it:D

Appreciate your input as they are issues we haven't seen so that's why I ask when it happened. I hope you don't mind. I'm just trying to make sure we either have a heads up for our next booking and/or know what to watch for. Thanks so much for sharing:D

The rooms might be the same, but I don't think the balconies are. Some are regular balconies that you can actually sit out on while other rooms have the Juliet balconies.

That's interesting:confused: do you mind if I ask when you were last there? We weren't charged for car park fees nor anyone we were with (and YES I do check my bills).

We were there on March 10 & 11th this year. Glad you did not get charged we did and we did not have a car???

We were there at what I would consider to be a peak time (March) and while there were a few children by the pool (and why wouldn't they be) we enjoyed watching them cavort and have fun - they stuck to one side and the adults to the other - it's a big pool - but the young people were not rude or annoying in any way - at least not for us.

Our issue was not regarding kids at the pool. It was the atmosphere in the lobby area, it was a zoo.

No problem for us to leave as we wanted -doesn't mean you didn't have an issue - but you have me wondering?

As I said, the lobby area was a zoo, which made it crazy simply getting a taxi to the ship. The difference this time was the hotel was full of folks from both Princess and RCCL new large ships.

And I totally agree as to where to book - I requested the top level to see the ships when I booked and was pleasantly surprised that all of us got exactly that :D Haven't been elsewhere in the hotel - but I made the same request again for our next booking and hopefully we get it:D

Appreciate your input as they are issues we haven't seen so that's why I ask when it happened. I hope you don't mind. I'm just trying to make sure we either have a heads up for our next booking and/or know what to watch for. Thanks so much for sharing:D

Next time, I will probably check to see if there are large RCCL ships in port on the days we play to stay at the Embassy. Then I will know in advance and plan accordingly.

Hope this responds to your questions, don't mind you asking. This thread is about info that may help others.

The rooms might be the same, but I don't think the balconies are. Some are regular balconies that you can actually sit out on while other rooms have the Juliet balconies.

Sounds like you may have info about larger balconies? The rooms we have stayed in did not. We usually request the same room # when we book.

Maybe someone else will respond to the issue of larger balconies and which rooms do have them.

Thanks for the photos, KK.

We've driven by the hotel probably hundreds of times and I've hardly paid it any attention.

When my friend asked me about it this week, I shocked myself to realize I couldn't answer. :D Having spent so much time in FLL down the street and having passed by it innumerable times, it was silly I didn't know much to share with my friend.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm a big balcony user/enjoyer. It's a negative their balconies are so insignificant but at least there is something and a way to get fresh air.

The photo of the bedroom certainly looks at a minimum fine.

I appreciate this thread, perfect timing for us. We just booked Embassy Suites for our next pre-cruise stay. Thank you everyone for the great info and pictures!

DH who is not fussy really wanted to go back - we really like this hotel. I hope you do too.:)

We have a reservation at Embassy on 17th St prior to our Eurodam cruise in November. We have a late arrival guarantee but I'm concerned because we do not arrive at FLL until 9:15 pm. We have stayed here several times but have always arrived prior to 6 pm. Has anyone ever had a problem with your room being given away due to late arrival with Embassy?

Thanks,

Bookfinder

We have a reservation at Embassy on 17th St prior to our Eurodam cruise in November. We have a late arrival guarantee but I'm concerned because we do not arrive at FLL until 9:15 pm. We have stayed here several times but have always arrived prior to 6 pm. Has anyone ever had a problem with your room being given away due to late arrival with Embassy? Thanks,Bookfinder

If you guaranteed your reservation with a credit card I don't know of any hotel who would give your room away. I'm sure you will be fine.

We have a reservation at Embassy on 17th St prior to our Eurodam cruise in November. We have a late arrival guarantee but I'm concerned because we do not arrive at FLL until 9:15 pm. We have stayed here several times but have always arrived prior to 6 pm. Has anyone ever had a problem with your room being given away due to late arrival with Embassy?

Thanks,

Bookfinder

6 PM is just the cancellation-cutoff time. You can cancel by 6 you will not be charged. If you do not cancel by 6 your credit card is charged. Hotel has been paid for your room so they don't care when you arrive or if you arrive at all.

6 PM is just the cancellation-cutoff time. You can cancel by 6 you will not be charged. If you do not cancel by 6 your credit card is charged. Hotel has been paid for your room so they don't care when you arrive or if you arrive at all.

That is what I understood but there are posts on the boards saying that their room was gone when they arrived late and with a guarantee. I don't remember it being Embassy. Also, someone stated that hotels overbook like the airlines due to no-shows. I know I'm probably worrying for nothing but we have never arrived this late. A few years back I had a guarantee reservation at a Sheraton in New Orleans and they had overbooked and wanted us to stay miles away in Slidell, LA and come back the next night with a promise of a room when we returned. We had arrived in the middle of the afternoon. We really enjoy Embassy so I hope they handle their business differently. I posted because I hoped that "No News" was "Good News".

Thanks,

Bookfinder

Should be no problem at all but to put your mind at ease, contact the hotel and advise them you will have a very late check in and have your reservation marked as such. You should not have to do that but if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt. :)

Sounds like you may have info about larger balconies? The rooms we have stayed in did not. We usually request the same room # when we book.

Maybe someone else will respond to the issue of larger balconies and which rooms do have them.

I had booked a suite for 3 nights pre-cruise in March. Then I read that many of the balconies were "Juliet" style. I like to sit on the balcony, so I contacted the hotel to sort it out. I received this response: "your reservation has been amended to accommodate your large balcony request. You are now booked into a suite on an upper floor with a large balcony." That's as much as I know about it. I am assuming a "large" balcony will at least be large enough for me and one chair.

Should be no problem at all but to put your mind at ease, contact the hotel and advise them you will have a very late check in and have your reservation marked as such. You should not have to do that but if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt. :)

I was going to suggest the same thing. A few times when I knew we would arrive somewhere much later than normal I have called the hotel and asked that it be marked on my reservation. I have also called when close to a hotel (maybe from the airport, etc.) to let them know we are on our way. But this is only for a very late arrival. Otherwise I never worry. But then again, we've never had a problem.

That is what I understood but there are posts on the boards saying that their room was gone when they arrived late and with a guarantee. I don't remember it being Embassy. Also, someone stated that hotels overbook like the airlines due to no-shows. I know I'm probably worrying for nothing but we have never arrived this late. A few years back I had a guarantee reservation at a Sheraton in New Orleans and they had overbooked and wanted us to stay miles away in Slidell, LA and come back the next night with a promise of a room when we returned. We had arrived in the middle of the afternoon. We really enjoy Embassy so I hope they handle their business differently. I posted because I hoped that "No News" was "Good News".

Sheraton is known for over booking their hotels.

We were glad that we had arrived early at the Downtown Sheraton a few years ago as another couple whom we were to meet up with for dinner didn't get to stay there -- their Guarantee room was given away.

Thanks,

Bookfinder

Bookfinder - our flights came in late last time too. We arrrived at the hotel around 9:30 pm or so and our rooms were waiting for us:)

Archived