Did something happen on the Statendam?

CruiseList

Ryndam also has suffered from power outages. I recall one year we were delayed leaving San Diego for Mexican Reiviera & Sea of Cortez because one of the generators has shut down. Power outage was spotty throughout the ship. For example in my cabin, an outside, I had dim power in the cabin, like the lights were very dim, but no power in the bathroom. This lasted over an hour. These S class ships are truly ready for replacement.:(

Being without power does it mean no lights, AC, TV hot or cold drinks?

That, and no water either, or working elevators---not good if you're in one. The Maasdam lost power for a while when I was on her once. It got very, very dark in that inside cabin. :eek: Oh, and no propulsion is possible.

I remember the time the Rotterdam lost all power in stormy seas in the north Atlantic. That was a dangerous situation, and it was fortunate that they got the engines restarted.

Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?

Power outage was on Sept 9 cruise; we were there. Just so happened we were already docked a day early, in Seward, when power failure happened. Out came our flashlights! Came in handy as usual. We had just finished our lunch/dinner when it happened. No problem for us, we just sat by our window in stateroom and watched the port activity. Rain and all. LOL Agree with cheese sandwiches, at least no one went without food, and we were not out to sea!

A glass of wine is compensation.

Not in my book it doesn't! Do you honestly believe that is what the poster meant? I don't!

Quote com-pen-sa-tion (kompn-sashn).Payment made for a person's work or services : pay, earnings, emolument, fee, hire, pay envelope, pay packet (British), salary, stipend, wage, wages, paycheck, income, compensation, recompense, reimbursement. Something to requite for loss or damage : restitution, amends, compensation, indemnification, indemnity, quittance, recompense, redress, reparation, reprisal, atonement, remuneration, reimbursement, repayment. Unquote

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

No power = no food, no lights, no toilets, etc.

We already missed Glacier Bay the day before.

We had a group of 20 on 4 tables together in MDR, they sat anytime dinners at one of our tables screwing up the entire group with the final arrivals not being able to dine.

Gifts (3 different) sent to members of group in cabin stated they were from an incorrect source. (all correct on paperwork...error had to be on ship)

NOT a well run operation.

Not in my book it doesn't! Do you honestly believe that is what the poster meant? I don't!

Quote com-pen-sa-tion (kompn-sashn).Payment made for a person's work or services : pay, earnings, emolument, fee, hire, pay envelope, pay packet (British), salary, stipend, wage, wages, paycheck, income, compensation, recompense, reimbursement. Something to requite for loss or damage : restitution, amends, compensation, indemnification, indemnity, quittance, recompense, redress, reparation, reprisal, atonement, remuneration, reimbursement, repayment. Unquote

Betty

"2. Something, such as money, given or received as payment or reparation, as for a service or loss." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/compensation

Example:

"Did you receive any compensation for the loss of power?"

"Yes, we received a free glass of wine as compensation."

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did the crew say what the problem was? Was there any compensation offered?

Also, I think I just validated my cruise related social media surveillance system! Can't believe how far in advance I found out about this!

What was the reasoning the person gave you when they asked you to remove the post?

BTW--I think there should be some compensation...the cost of a nice meal perhaps. They can NOT blame the weather.

So what if they only had cheese sandwiches, they didn't starve the Psgrs. Perhaps a glass of wine might have been offered with the sandwiches but compensation? That's absurd!

Betty

I was there. Everyone was offered a glass of Champagne. There was also, tuna fish, turkey and some kind of beef sandwiches along with fruit. It only affect those with late seating, (like my DH and me) or people from as you like seating who didn't eat yet. If you were at the Pinnacle or the Italian restaurant, (forget the name) you got whatever they could manage cold, (antipasto, salad, desserts, cold appetizers) and you weren't charged for the specialty restaurant.

The Lido buffet opened up later with some additional hot food once they got everything heated up. If you had the suites, which we had, you also had the food that was in the Neptune Lounge. Kat, the consignor, (I know it is spelled wrong, why can't I remember the correct spelling. LOL) went down to the galley, she said everyone crew and officier's who weren't needed elsewhere were making sandwiches to give the passengers something.

The Captain who was on his last week of 3 months of filling in for the regular captain and Anthony the Cruise Director kept us informed every step of the way. We couldn't let something like this bother what was otherwise a good cruise.

Should we have had some compensation besides the champagne. It would have been nice, but it was only 2 hours. It was just a shame that it was on the last night. But you can't always predict these things.

Hmmmmm, I just went back now to look at Cruise list's remarks about the outage. Our outage was definitly on the last night of our cruise on Sat Sept 15th. This sounds like it might have been the following Thursday which was the last cruise of Alaska for the season.

Just wanted to clarifiy this.

Also, one night in the Pinnacle Grill one of the staff said that rumors were running rampant that HAL was looking to sell the Statendam and that I new one was going to be build in the next 2 years. Who knows it is a rumor.

We had tables 34, 35, 36, & 37. There were 20 in our group. I assure you that we were NOT offered champagne or wine. We were not offered tuna fish, turkey or any kind of beef sandwiches. We had the cheese sandwiches or sliced egg sandwiches and whole apples for dessert. That was it.

......................The Captain who was on his last week of 3 months of filling in for the regular captain and Anthony the Cruise Director kept us informed every step of the way. We couldn't let something like this bother what was otherwise a good cruise.

Just a heads up for ya; there are no "regular" and "fill-in" captains. Your captain, Frans Consen, one of HAL's most senior captains, if not the senior, is one of two captains assigned to Statendam. The other, her current captain, is Albert Schoonderbeek.

Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?

No, the power outage was on the Sept 9 cruise. I was on it (back to back with the Sept 16-23 southbound return trip). That's why Captain Albert's blog doesn't contain any reference to it. He came aboard in Seward at the turnaround.

I was in the MDR during the power failure and my sandwich had no cheese, just a bit of egg between two slices of bread served on a paper plate. A lot of people were complaining vociferously but my take on the situation is that if that were the worst thing that would happen to me in my lifetime, I'd consider myself lucky.

I was there. Everyone was offered a glass of Champagne. There was also, tuna fish, turkey and some kind of beef sandwiches along with fruit. It only affect those with late seating, (like my DH and me) or people from as you like seating who didn't eat yet. If you were at the Pinnacle or the Italian restaurant, (forget the name) you got whatever they could manage cold, (antipasto, salad, desserts, cold appetizers) and you weren't charged for the specialty restaurant.

The Lido buffet opened up later with some additional hot food once they got everything heated up. If you had the suites, which we had, you also had the food that was in the Neptune Lounge. Kat, the consignor, (I know it is spelled wrong, why can't I remember the correct spelling. LOL) went down to the galley, she said everyone crew and officier's who weren't needed elsewhere were making sandwiches to give the passengers something.

The Captain who was on his last week of 3 months of filling in for the regular captain and Anthony the Cruise Director kept us informed every step of the way. We couldn't let something like this bother what was otherwise a good cruise.

Should we have had some compensation besides the champagne. It would have been nice, but it was only 2 hours. It was just a shame that it was on the last night. But you can't always predict these things.

:)Thanks for your post..IMO a glass of wine or champagne is appropriate for a two hour power outage, but don't think any other compensation is called for..And as you stated HAL was trying to make up for it in the Lido, once power was restored..

Cheers...:)Betty

:)Thanks for your post..IMO a glass of wine or champagne is appropriate for a two hour power outage, but don't think any other compensation is called for..And as you stated HAL was trying to make up for it in the Lido, once power was restored..

Cheers...:)Betty

Again...that was NOT offered to our four tables.

Also any decent hot food on Lido did not get there until after 11:00 pm.

Also, one night in the Pinnacle Grill one of the staff said that rumors were running rampant that HAL was looking to sell the Statendam and that I new one was going to be build in the next 2 years. Who knows it is a rumor.

That's not the first time that rumor has made the rounds. I hope it turns out to be true.

Edited by lorekauf

No, the power outage was on the Sept 9 cruise. I was on it (back to back with the Sept 16-23 southbound return trip). That's why Captain Albert's blog doesn't contain any reference to it. He came aboard in Seward at the turnaround.

Hi, IMO

Even if Captain Albert haad been the Master on the power outage sailing, he would not have mentionned it in his blog.

Nothing to do with camouflage or dishonesty. Simply a matter of protocol; it is simply inappropriate to have open chats about such issues on a public blog. Same as he ( Capt Albert) has never talked about the propulsion issues plaguing his vessel on his blog;it would be improper IMO.

Thankfully, the power outage was only 2 hours long, and happend IN Seward, not at high seas....( unless I'm wrong).

She's merely on her way to SanDiego and FortLauderdale now.

Cheers

Also. the captain or his representative will not put anything in writing.

Last Panama canal cruise, feb 2012, had some significant happenings.

A fire in the spa, waking up everybody at night.

A diversion to an unscheduled port to disembark a sick crewmember, thereby missing a scheduled port.

All of this was NOT mentioned on the cruiselog, given to all passengers on the last seaday. Wat were they thinking? That we forgot it?

BTW--I think there should be some compensation...the cost of a nice meal perhaps.

:confused: Are you referring to the 2 hour power outage that some are talking about ?

If the power went out in a hotel for 2 hours, would you also ask to be compensated with the "cost of a nice meal" ?

That, and no water either, or working elevators---not good if you're in one. The Maasdam lost power for a while when I was on her once. It got very, very dark in that inside cabin. :eek: Oh, and no propulsion is possible.

I remember the time the Rotterdam lost all power in stormy seas in the north Atlantic. That was a dangerous situation, and it was fortunate that they got the engines restarted.

I never thought of this. Being in a elevator would not be fun!

I never thought of this. Being in a elevator would not be fun!

I got stuck in an elevator on the Rotterdam once. Both the forward and aft elevator banks were out due a bad storm, and flooding on Promenade Deck, when my elevator stopped, too.

You'll be happy to know that the emergency phone in the elevator reaches a live person, and not just voice-mail. I was out within ten minutes---none the worse for wear. But do keep such things in mind when you are rushing back to your own cabin to use the facilities. ;)

I got stuck in an elevator on the Rotterdam once. Both the forward and aft elevator banks were out due a bad storm, and flooding on Promenade Deck, when my elevator stopped, too.

You'll be happy to know that the emergency phone in the elevator reaches a live person, and not just voice-mail. I was out within ten minutes---none the worse for wear. But do keep such things in mind when you are rushing back to your own cabin to use the facilities. ;)

Ruth,

How did they get you out? You did not have to climb out? Nice to know that you get a real person when you call for help.