Did something happen on the Statendam?

CruiseList

Ruth,

How did they get you out? You did not have to climb out? Nice to know that you get a real person when you call for help.

I don't know what was done to make it happen, but the doors opened at a deck. I don't recall if the elevator and deck were flush to each other, or if there was a gap. But if there was, it wasn't much.

This was back in August, 2003. I sure recall the storm as if it were yesterday. It was a beaut. The sea breeched the water-tight doors on Upper Promenade and cascaded down the stairs in front of the stage like a waterfall. The show was interrupted, and canceled. BINGO was canceled the next day (so you know it was serious).

Hi, IMO

Even if Captain Albert haad been the Master on the power outage sailing, he would not have mentionned it in his blog.

Nothing to do with camouflage or dishonesty. Simply a matter of protocol; it is simply inappropriate to have open chats about such issues on a public blog. Same as he ( Capt Albert) has never talked about the propulsion issues plaguing his vessel on his blog;it would be improper IMO.

Thankfully, the power outage was only 2 hours long, and happend IN Seward, not at high seas....( unless I'm wrong).

She's merely on her way to SanDiego and FortLauderdale now.

Cheers

not to mention it would be acknowledging there is a problem :eek:

I don't know what was done to make it happen, but the doors opened at a deck. I don't recall if the elevator and deck were flush to each other, or if there was a gap. But if there was, it wasn't much.

This was back in August, 2003. I sure recall the storm as if it were yesterday. It was a beaut. The sea breeched the water-tight doors on Upper Promenade and cascaded down the stairs in front of the stage like a waterfall. The show was interrupted, and canceled. BINGO was canceled the next day (so you know it was serious).

OMG. that's just this side of 'abandon ship'

Edited by CtheW0rld

Boy if Bingo was cancelled it was serious:rolleyes::p

Seriously Ruth, I got stuck in an elevator in a very nice hotel a few years ago. No one answered the phone for what seemed like forever:eek: A fellow guest forced the doors open and helped get me out. I was in there for nearly an hour.

Sounds like HAL gave you much better service than my expensive hotel gave me (I was shaking like a leaf when I got out).

Perhaps we should take a new perspective on service on our cruise ships;)

Ruth,

That is really scary to be stuck like that. Did they give you some chocolate after getting you out? I would have ate a ton of it to calm me down after that.

Ruth,

That is really scary to be stuck like that. Did they give you some chocolate after getting you out? I would have ate a ton of it to calm me down after that.

It was only ten minutes or so. There was never any reason to get upset. I never thought of asking for a plate of truffles.

As the little sign says: You get too soon old, and too late smart. ;)

I was there. Everyone was offered a glass of Champagne. There was also, tuna fish, turkey and some kind of beef sandwiches along with fruit. It only affect those with late seating, (like my DH and me) or people from as you like seating who didn't eat yet. If you were at the Pinnacle or the Italian restaurant, (forget the name) you got whatever they could manage cold, (antipasto, salad, desserts, cold appetizers) and you weren't charged for the specialty restaurant.

The Lido buffet opened up later with some additional hot food once they got everything heated up. If you had the suites, which we had, you also had the food that was in the Neptune Lounge. Kat, the consignor, (I know it is spelled wrong, why can't I remember the correct spelling. LOL) went down to the galley, she said everyone crew and officier's who weren't needed elsewhere were making sandwiches to give the passengers something.

The Captain who was on his last week of 3 months of filling in for the regular captain and Anthony the Cruise Director kept us informed every step of the way. We couldn't let something like this bother what was otherwise a good cruise.

Should we have had some compensation besides the champagne. It would have been nice, but it was only 2 hours. It was just a shame that it was on the last night. But you can't always predict these things.

How nice that you were offered a glass of bubbly. We were in our room watching the football games when the power went out. about 5:15 PM local time. Since we were anytime dining, we waited an hour or so, but when the power had not been restored, DW went to the Rotterdam dining room to ask about dinner. She was told that she would be called at our stateroom when dinner was available. Finally at 7:45 we walked up to the dining room, and there was no apology for not calling us as promised. We were shown to a table and were offered a tuna sandwich. No, not tuna salad, but canned tuna on white bread with mayo and cheese (OK, we had the deluxe options). DW can't eat canned tuna, but luckily, the table next to us was offered turkey sandwiches, and she asked and was given a turkey and american cheese sandwich.

The positives on the outage were the frequent updates from the captain and cruise director, and the fact that my football team was being beaten, so the power outage relieved that.

The negatives were that the updates provided NO helpful information or any background on what had caused the outage, and why it took three and 1/2 hours to fix it. I'll confess that I am not an electrical engineer with power distribution expertise, but there was no update that "our frammitse was overloaded and our engineers had to cable around a failing overloadinsk, and also they had to put a penny behind the fuse in the fusebox!

However we have learned a very important lesson from our cruise. When the power goes out, walk up the stairs immediately to the lido to the sandwich station, because you are likely to NEVER, EVER get a better alternative.

Ruth, and that was after we had endured the BLACKOUT OF THE NORTHEAST the day before sailing...

Ruth, and that was after we had endured the BLACKOUT OF THE NORTHEAST the day before sailing...

As the song says, "Ah, yes! I remember it well." I didn't lose power at home, and was very fortunate that I had hired a car to drive me to NYC. We sailed right down the highway, and pulled up to the terminal with no problems. Others had flights canceled, were stuck in subways and hotels. We didn't sail until 1:00 AM. It was a very special sail down the Hudson, past Lady Liberty.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw a tweet earlier (since deleted) from a family member of the ship's crew that suggested there was a two hour power outage on the Statendam due to a fuel pump failure. Is anyone onboard that can confirm this?

What a topic : On land a power failure regular occurs. Sailed so many times on Statendam - Maasdam-Rotterdam-Ryndam-Veendam , never experienced any power failers or other incidents. The vessels are well maintained have the best engineers on board. Are we looking for compensation for the two hours there were only cheese sandwiches. There are huger problems in the world . Just finished a cruise on Ryndam, another great ship.

Stop moaning about a one time small incident, and write about all the best you got on board Hope Holland America line will sail many years more with their smaller ships. we love them, and it's not because I am Dutch.

Cees

Edited by cornelis

My guess is that if there is any ships to go it will be the Veendam first not the Statendam.

We had a power outage on the Ryndam many years ago. The Ryndam was dead in the water outside of Cabo for about 3 hours. No big deal. I can't believe people are complaining about having to eat cold sandwiches. Give me a break, like anybody is starving on a cruise ship after many, many wonderful meals. What is wrong with a tuna, turkey or cheese sandwich if your that hungry. Your complaining about a little inconvenience, really. Just give me some crackers and I would be happy.

We've been stuck in an elevator like Ruth. Took about 10 min or so to get us out. We've also missed ports because of one thing or the other. Things happen and we all need to be a lot more tolerant and quit wanting compensation everytime the wind blows.............JMO

What a topic : On land a power failure regular occurs. Sailed so many times on Statendam - Maasdam-Rotterdam-Ryndam-Veendam , never experienced any power failers or other incidents. The vessels are well maintained have the best engineers on board. Are we looking for compensation for the two hours there were only cheese sandwiches. There are huger problems in the world . Just finished a cruise on Ryndam, another great ship.

Stop moaning about a one time small incident, and write about all the best you got on board Hope Holland America line will sail many years more with their smaller ships. we love them, and it's not because I am Dutch.

Cees

Welcome to the Cruise Critic forums! Glad you're here!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Statendam when this power failure occurred. I have been waiting to post on this thread until I received a reply to my concerns from HAL. I can summarize their reply in two words - "Stuff happens". I had asked them to explain what happened and what the ramifications would have been had the ship not been in harbor. They chose to totally ignore my questions. That's just pathetic customer service (more on that in a bit).

To those of you who feel this is no big deal, I would respectfully but strongly disagree. I do know a fair bit about power systems and generators from a former career keeping a data center running. A total power failure like this is a very big deal due to the simple fact that everything on that ship is electric. Had we been at sea, there would have been no propulsion. Not a situation I would want to be in while in Alaskan waters. Add in the no running water, toilets, HVAC and after a while you have a bad situation.

As to the handling of the situation......

The announcements made by the captain and cruise director were useless and really provided no information as to the severity of the situation.

There were no elevators running for those guests who needed them. While running on emergency generator, the normal scenario goes like this. The controller in each elevator bank will start one elevator at a time and return it to a home floor and park it there. The system will then leave the last elevator operational, although it requires someone with a key and knowledge of the operating procedures. The crew could have, and should have, done this. I know that the parking occurred, as all of the elevators were on one deck. I saw several people fall on stairs during this incident, and there were no crew members around the stairs to help out.

I cannot comment as to the competance of the engineering staff on the ship. I have not seen the machinery spaces and know nothing of the crew's background. Neither do those of you who state that they have the "best". It's simply an unknown. However, looking at the funtionality of the ship's systems that I observed, there are either some design or maintenance issues. If one fuel pump took down all the generators, that would be a design problem, as a system such as that should not have such an obvious single point of failure. The hot water temperature on the ship was very erratic during the whole cruise. The water temperature in the hot tubs varied between lukewarm and hot enough to cook in. Thermostats are a fairly simple device whose proper function seems to not occur on the Statendam. Along those lines, the HVAC thermostat in our stateroom took an hour to respond to changes in setting. There were also several light switches in our stateroom that were non-functional. In total, this does not lead me to believe that the Statendam is well maintained mechanically and electrically. It's nearly 20 years old, and seems to be showing its age.

Last, HAL's response. I work for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and last year we had a major incident occur when the main support beam in one of our theatres cracked. I won't go into all the details about how this situation was handled, but there were lots of refunds and free shows while we were in alternate venues. Unlike HAL, however, we were right out there telling our patrons that there was a problem (a big problem) and providing lots of detail. HAL seems to only admit that there was a "technical issue". This leaves me with the very distinct impression that they're trying to hide something. It's simply the wrong way to handle a major failure. Had they been more forthcoming, I might think about sailing with them again. At this point, not gonna happen!

Last, the issue of refunds. That has never been what I was after, but I can understand some folks thinking they should have made a refund in an amount commensurate with the meal those folks didn't get. There have been some comparisons here to a hotel giving a refund due to a power failure. Interesting analogy, but I don't think it works. Here's why. If a hotel loses power that is something that is not within their control as they are getting power from a utility. If a cruise ship loses power, that is within the cruise line's control and responsibility. Although I was extremely disappointed that this cruise had to skip Glacier Bay, the weather is outside of HAL's control and I accept that. But, I can sure understand why people might thing HAL should buy them dinner!

Hmmmmm, I just went back now to look at Cruise list's remarks about the outage. Our outage was definitly on the last night of our cruise on Sat Sept 15th. This sounds like it might have been the following Thursday which was the last cruise of Alaska for the season.

Just wanted to clarifiy this.

Also, one night in the Pinnacle Grill one of the staff said that rumors were running rampant that HAL was looking to sell the Statendam and that I new one was going to be build in the next 2 years. Who knows it is a rumor.

That's not the first time that rumor has made the rounds. I hope it turns out to be true.

It isn't rumor. :) HAL has made an official announcement a new ship is under construction at Fincantieri Ship Yards outside Venice, Italy. It will be something like 99,000 ton.

While the announcement did not detail which, if any, HAL ships are for sale, most would agree it likely Statendam is probably available for purchase.

It isn't rumor. :) HAL has made an official announcement a new ship is under construction at Fincantieri Ship Yards outside Venice, Italy. It will be something like 99,000 ton.

While the announcement did not detail which, if any, HAL ships are for sale, most would agree it likely Statendam is probably available for purchase.

Thx for the info but I had heard. My comment was made over a month ago.

Thx for the info but I had heard. My comment was made over a month ago.

Yes, YOU know but perhaps there are some other folks here who did not know. ;) The post was meant for the whole community.

I was on the Statendam when this power failure occurred. I have been waiting to post on this thread until I received a reply to my concerns from HAL. I can summarize their reply in two words - "Stuff happens". I had asked them to explain what happened and what the ramifications would have been had the ship not been in harbor. They chose to totally ignore my questions. That's just pathetic customer service (more on that in a bit).

To those of you who feel this is no big deal, I would respectfully but strongly disagree. I do know a fair bit about power systems and generators from a former career keeping a data center running. A total power failure like this is a very big deal due to the simple fact that everything on that ship is electric. Had we been at sea, there would have been no propulsion. Not a situation I would want to be in while in Alaskan waters. Add in the no running water, toilets, HVAC and after a while you have a bad situation.

As to the handling of the situation......

The announcements made by the captain and cruise director were useless and really provided no information as to the severity of the situation.

There were no elevators running for those guests who needed them. While running on emergency generator, the normal scenario goes like this. The controller in each elevator bank will start one elevator at a time and return it to a home floor and park it there. The system will then leave the last elevator operational, although it requires someone with a key and knowledge of the operating procedures. The crew could have, and should have, done this. I know that the parking occurred, as all of the elevators were on one deck. I saw several people fall on stairs during this incident, and there were no crew members around the stairs to help out.

I cannot comment as to the competance of the engineering staff on the ship. I have not seen the machinery spaces and know nothing of the crew's background. Neither do those of you who state that they have the "best". It's simply an unknown. However, looking at the funtionality of the ship's systems that I observed, there are either some design or maintenance issues. If one fuel pump took down all the generators, that would be a design problem, as a system such as that should not have such an obvious single point of failure. The hot water temperature on the ship was very erratic during the whole cruise. The water temperature in the hot tubs varied between lukewarm and hot enough to cook in. Thermostats are a fairly simple device whose proper function seems to not occur on the Statendam. Along those lines, the HVAC thermostat in our stateroom took an hour to respond to changes in setting. There were also several light switches in our stateroom that were non-functional. In total, this does not lead me to believe that the Statendam is well maintained mechanically and electrically. It's nearly 20 years old, and seems to be showing its age.

Last, HAL's response. I work for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and last year we had a major incident occur when the main support beam in one of our theatres cracked. I won't go into all the details about how this situation was handled, but there were lots of refunds and free shows while we were in alternate venues. Unlike HAL, however, we were right out there telling our patrons that there was a problem (a big problem) and providing lots of detail. HAL seems to only admit that there was a "technical issue". This leaves me with the very distinct impression that they're trying to hide something. It's simply the wrong way to handle a major failure. Had they been more forthcoming, I might think about sailing with them again. At this point, not gonna happen!

Last, the issue of refunds. That has never been what I was after, but I can understand some folks thinking they should have made a refund in an amount commensurate with the meal those folks didn't get. There have been some comparisons here to a hotel giving a refund due to a power failure. Interesting analogy, but I don't think it works. Here's why. If a hotel loses power that is something that is not within their control as they are getting power from a utility. If a cruise ship loses power, that is within the cruise line's control and responsibility. Although I was extremely disappointed that this cruise had to skip Glacier Bay, the weather is outside of HAL's control and I accept that. But, I can sure understand why people might thing HAL should buy them dinner!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hope you post more often.

Appreciate your comments.

Cees

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have been on a couple of HAL ships when we lost power for a brief time.

Hopefully the Veendam goes - I think most are happy with the Statendam no? or at least a lot happier than with the Veendam:confused:

Yes, YOU know but perhaps there are some other folks here who did not know. ;) The post was meant for the whole community.

Since you quoted me I thought you might have thought I didn't know. Generally when you quote a post it's an answer to that poster.

Here is your quote:

:

Originally Posted by lorekauf

That's not the first time that rumor has made the rounds. I hope it turns out to be true.

My post was in response to yours as well as the other I included.

It referenced about what I was speaking...... that there is a new build announced by HAL.

While you may have learned since you wrote that post that HAL made an annoucement, there likely are many others who did not know that.

I was advising the rumor you reference turned out to be true.

Edited by sail7seas