Customer Service is of no help

smoosh21

First of all, I hope everyone can see that I have been on Cruise Critic for many years and have many posts under my belt. This is not an attempt to start a flame war, but merely an attempt and hope that somebody at corporate will see this posting, since many members write that Corporate does read these comments.

As you can also see I have multiple upcoming cruises with Royal. This post concerns my upcoming Allure Cruise. I am sailing with 6 friends (8 passengers total, 4 reservations, 2 Travel Agents). The Two travel agents is where things are breaking down, according to Royal.

I am attempting to make dinner reservations on-line. Since we are doing MTD and we are also eating at Specialty restaurants it would make sense to do that ahead of time to get the seating times we need. I am unable to do so, because the Royal Website Interface does not allow you to link on-board reservations, even for dining options, if you were not all booked with the same Travel Agent.

OK, that seems like a very bad design, but I can live with that answer. I call Royal Caribbean Help Desk and they respond with the same answer. There is no way to link reservations if they were not all booked with the same Travel Agent even from the access that they use. I feel that this is a very bad policy on the part of Royal. There are many reasons that friends may book with different agencies, but still choose to do things together (like eat) on the ship. OK, more frustration, but no breakdown yet.

I ask if there is an escalation policy for Customer Care issues. I understand that front end agents cannot make the reservations, but there is always a work around. Somebody Somewhere has the authority to override decisions and override rules that may be set up for front line customer care. I am told that there is no escalation policy for problem issues at Royal Caribbean, and that nothing can be done. I was told this by two different agents, that if they can't help then nobody can.

OK, so now I try to work with Crown and Anchor. I realize that I am only an Emerald, so I am not going to get the treatment that a D+ would, but I would hope that being somewhat loyal would help. I am also scheduled to become Diamond on this sailing. Even though my email was clearly about Dining Reservations, Crown and Anchor forwarded the Issue to the Custom Shore Excursion desk.

I only heard this back after waiting 5 business days. Beside the fact that 5 business days is an unacceptable delay to hear that your problem was even looked at, it took that long just for them to discern it was with the wrong team, and now it has to go back to the beginning of the queue with the Dining reservations team.

I am sailing in a suite this time, so I guess my next step would be to contact the onboard concierge, but none of my friends are in a suite. And should I really have to be a suite passenger to get an issue resolved?

I am very frustrated with Royal Caribbean at this time. I am trying to actually spend more money on-board with multiple other passengers. Yet, Royal is making it impossible to do so. 4 of these other passengers are sailing Royal for the first time. This level of service is not a good start to making happy repeat customers.

Has anyone else had a similar situation, and were they able to get it resolved before they got onboard?

Thanks

From what I know, if a travel agent makes your reservations for your group, than linked reservations does not show up on your account online, but the reservations are linked. If you make your own reservations through the web then you are in control of the linking reservations process.

All you're wanting to do is make advance reservations for specialty dining for your group? Why not ask for all of the reservation numbers and log in separately with them to make the reservation? Or have them do it on their own. That seems to be the only option unless your agent can take care of it for you.

All you're wanting to do is make advance reservations for specialty dining for your group? Why not ask for all of the reservation numbers and log in separately with them to make the reservation? Or have them do it on their own. That seems to be the only option unless your agent can take care of it for you.

The issues is I want a table for 8, if I make two reservations for 4, or 3 for 4,2 and 2, I have a feeling that the restaurant may not have the table for 8 available for us.

We had three different TA's for a group of 10. I called each couple and got their booking #'s, then called our TA with those #'s, she called Royal and had everyone in the party booked at the same table.

The other two TA's never got involved.

Dont know why you couldnt get a resolution for this problem.

Have you tried asking one of the TA's to call Royal with all the #'s and the resies you want to book

The issues is I want a table for 8, if I make two reservations for 4, or 3 for 4,2 and 2, I have a feeling that the restaurant may not have the table for 8 available for us.

This might happen. I would suggest once you get onboard that you visit the restaurant that you have reserved to inform them that you all want to be seated together.

I had a similar problem. When I called customer service they couldn't help me either. I finally got someone from the resolutions department to take care of it on their end. I truly feel your frustration as I haven spent a lot of time dealing with this. I find their website very frustrating.

We have linked reservations before with different travel agents involved and some bookings direct with the cruise line. All you should need is each reservation # and I would also get names and cabin numbers just to be safe. Have your travel agent make the rezzies for you. He/she should be able to do this for you - ours has done it MANY times.

I will say though that sometimes they still get it wrong. Once, we weren't seated together. We noticed it at checkin that we had different table #'s so we immediately went to the maitre'd to have it corrected. Easy fix. We also always request main floor, center of room in front of staircase. One time they had us shoved in a corner on the second floor by a busboy station. Again an easy fix. My TA and I laugh about it because she always provides me with her documentation and their confirmation that they received the request.

My advice is to have the travel agent do it for you with all the rezzies. And if they can't or won't, there might be a problem with your TA since mine has never hesitated. Second, I would email the concierge the week before your cruise and ask them to doublecheck your dinner reservations- explaining why it's a little complicated, again providing the rezzie #'s and names and cabin #'s. They should be able to do this for you but bear in mind it's appropriate to tip them for something "extra" like this. The concierge(s) I have met are all lovely and would have no problem doing something like this. This is a nice suite benefit - don't feel guilty about asking. I know one time our friends did something similar - they were in a suite and we were in a JS and the concierge didn't have an issue doing something that included us. We did thank and tip him for going the extra mile since we were not officially suite peeps. ;)

Finally, I would still check on everything when you board. Best laid plans.... :)

The customer service stuff doesn't surprise. Seems like every big corporation is like this now.

My problem is a bit different. I have a booking reward from a TA (online) of 2 free tickets to a specialty restaurant. We have 2 couples needing to use their tickets but cannot reserve the night and time we want because RCCL site makes you pay for them upfront. And since we do not get these credits in the form of OBC I guess until the second day on our accounts...that means we cannot book ahead. We would have to wait till we are onboard and take our chances in getting a table for 4 on the night we want. I realize this is partially the fault of the TA, but you would think Dining could understand this is common and allow you to send them confirmation of your free gift or something in order to allow you to book ahead. What do you think of this? I have spoken with both parties and were told no can do.

My problem is a bit different. I have a booking reward from a TA (online) of 2 free tickets to a specialty restaurant. We have 2 couples needing to use their tickets but cannot reserve the night and time we want because RCCL site makes you pay for them upfront. And since we do not get these credits in the form of OBC I guess until the second day on our accounts...that means we cannot book ahead. We would have to wait till we are onboard and take our chances in getting a table for 4 on the night we want. I realize this is partially the fault of the TA, but you would think Dining could understand this is common and allow you to send them confirmation of your free gift or something in order to allow you to book ahead. What do you think of this? I have spoken with both parties and were told no can do.

Good question. I have one of these certificates, too. For those of you who have used them in the past, what did you do about reservations?

Specialty restaurants shouldn't be totally booked before you board either. Board early and go straight to the restaurant to set it up if you haven't succeeded the other way. That's actually our normal method, but I'll grant that I only have to set up for 4 or 5 instead of 8. Still, shouldn't be too bad.

We had this issue a year ago. We had a conference call with our TA and their TA and they exchanged information. Then both TA's sent E-mails requesting that the reservations be linked for dining and that seemed to solve our problems.

If you have a specialty restaurant certificate and you book PRIOR to getting on the ship, they will reimburse your account for the amount of your certicates.

Don't even get me started on trying to link different bookings for a specialty dinner. Three couples tried for over 2 months to eat together at Portofino's. I called, I emailed, my TA called, he emailed. Both of the other 2 couples called and they were even given a different story. It was the biggest mess I've ever seen. This is rocket science RC, just link 3 couples together for dinner. HOLY COW BATMAN. (even my TA was baffled at the responses he received):eek:

Needless to say at the moment: I have a dinner reservation for 7:30PM, another couple has 6:30PM, and the 3rd was told 8something. OMG! I even received a call back from the head person in the dining department and it still has never been resolved. I just don't get it.

I sail on 10/14/12, I will let you know if we all managed to eat together. At this piont, nothing will surprise me. :rolleyes:

we linked a bunch of reservations..some made with a TA some not...took all of 5 minutes..did it on line, and each other linked number (well part of it) showed up on the MY CRUISES accounts of all of us....

really not sure why it happened..and actually it could have been done without involving the TAs....

Like. How does RC know the linked Res wants to be linked?

Good question. I guess they just wait for all the TA's to send in their request, but, they may just take each TA's word for it. I do know it works, we have three separate TA's who have linked an upcoming cruise for a group I am sailing with.

If you have a specialty restaurant certificate and you book PRIOR to getting on the ship, they will reimburse your account for the amount of your certicates.

Don't even get me started on trying to link different bookings for a specialty dinner. Three couples tried for over 2 months to eat together at Portofino's. I called, I emailed, my TA called, he emailed. Both of the other 2 couples called and they were even given a different story. It was the biggest mess I've ever seen. This is rocket science RC, just link 3 couples together for dinner. HOLY COW BATMAN. (even my TA was baffled at the responses he received):eek:

Needless to say at the moment: I have a dinner reservation for 7:30PM, another couple has 6:30PM, and the 3rd was told 8something. OMG! I even received a call back from the head person in the dining department and it still has never been resolved. I just don't get it.

I sail on 10/14/12, I will let you know if we all managed to eat together. At this piont, nothing will surprise me. :rolleyes:

Thanks

This is exactly what I am going through. My Travel Agent has told me that it is up to Royal. Royal isn't even referring me back to the travel agent, they are just saying that it can't be done. No way, no how.

I am also trying to make one reservation because they have a sailaway special that gets you 30% off at Giovannis, but you have to book for 8.

I don't get why the travel agent even should need to get involved for making a reservation at a specialty restaurant. If I am paying and I know somebodies reservation number, obviously I know them.

very frustrating, and very bad customer service on the part of Royal, and it is really just them losing the opportunity to make more money. Making a dining reservation should no be difficult.

Not sure why the agent cant link the ressies...unless there are too many and the computer cant handle it :rolleyes::eek:.....but they dont have to call or email royal....

And the speciality ressies should not be all booked...that should not be a prob.....unless you are all going together and they do not have a big enough table.....you should be able to.fix it on the ship

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

We received 2 specialty dinners from an online TA for our cruise on the Mariner last April. I had to print out the certificate form the TA to take on the ship and was to present it to Specialty Dining once I was on board. Just so happened that a crew member representing Specialty Dining was trying to sell Specialty Dining while we were eating in the buffet upon embarkation. I showed him my certificate and asked how I could make a reservation. He took care of it and made the reservation on the spot. Had no problem getting any night.

RCCL does know you have the certificates because when we got to our cabin there was a note their from Specialty Dining reminding us to make our reservation.

Archived