Keeping extra pounds at bay

Blucruise25

No pun intended!

I know this topic won't appeal to many, and I know the logic of "you're on vacation - live a little!" and I don't necessarily need to hear from those of you who will advise to splurge just this once.

I do want this thread to include responses from those who can offer helpful suggestions, or who understand what it's like to be in the middle of a successful weight loss journey and not wanting to mess it up!

I've lost more than 30 pounds in the last few months, not by depriving myself, but by making wiser choices and keeping my overall calorie count down. I've eaten healthily, I stay satisfied, I exercise a bit each day, and the excess weight has come off.

I have a 13-night cruise coming up, and while I know I probably won't lose weight with 24-hour yumminess available, I would like to come off the ship at the end of the two weeks weighing roughly what I do when I get on it.

I plan to make liberal use of the fitness area while I'm on board.

Are there any other tips from experienced cruisers who can relate?

I've lost more than 30 pounds in the last few months, not by depriving myself, but by making wiser choices and keeping my overall calorie count down. I've eaten healthily, I stay satisfied, I exercise a bit each day, and the excess weight has come off.

Use the same method you've used at home (quoted above) and you'll be fine.

Skip the desserts, ask for an apple cut up for dessert (or orange, banana etc).

Don't use the elevator (except if you are carting luggage).

Drink coffees (specialty ones without the whipped cream and extra drizzle).

Speed walk the corridors to/from your room. Take the long way IE if you know your room is on the right when you get out of the elevator go Left and go round until you get to your room (It will take a couple of extra minutes and add distance to your walk.

Number one secret is to drink a glass of water( or a bottle) just before you eat. It will help you fill full faster.

If you drink alcohol stick with plain drinks IE rum and diet coke. (0 carbs, 0 sugar). If you drink fruity drinks they have lots of cals and sugar. Straight rye, rum etc is best (Crown Royal of the rocks any one).

This is what I do...make as many healthy choices as you can when you eat...the cruise lines offers a variety. Don't go overboard on the drinks...a few glasses of wine won't hurt. And by all means, use the gym and the walking track...it makes a big difference. I only eat in thr dining room for dinner, and make healthy coices in the buffet. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I have been on WW since January. I cruised in June on the Oasis of the seas, this was my strategy:

I decided before we left that I would not splurge on breakfast and lunch, I would save my splurges for dinner. Breakfast every day consisted of some combination of fruit, yogurt, cereal (although one day I had biscuits and gravy!!). Lunches were salads, fish, veggies, etc. I ate what I wanted for dinner, but didn't go nuts. If I wanted 2 apps, I ordered 2 apps but tasted them, not finish them.

I ALWAYS had a water bottle with me and didn't drink anything but water through out the day. I'm not a big alcohol drinker, but had a few cocktails, wine, after-dinner-shots just not everyday.

I used the stairs instead of the elevator as much as possible. And went to the gym a few mornings. And just walked around the ship a lot.

I found that even though there is food available round the clock, I wasn't around the food except at meal time. Keeping busy was very helpful.

I got off the boat down 2lbs.

The buffet has great salad fixings at lunch time. If you get one that a chef is making such as Cesar, ask for the dressing on the side. Don't accept the salad that was just mixed with dressing. There is usually grilled chicken on the buffet to add a little protein to fill you up. There's plenty of fresh fruit at breakfast and lunch.

Forget that food is available round the clock and eat the meals you normally do.

Take the stairs instead of elevators.

Mary Lou

I have recently lost wait as well. I don't like to vacation with the mindset that I can't enjoy my food/drink. I always go to the gym or walk the track. Try to cut out sugar;which is hard in my favorite drinks. Eat mostly salads for lunch and for dinner stick to low carb. If I have something sweet it's usually a just a bite and that's it. I also stay away from the fried foods.

Stick to light beer, champagne, white wine and try to stay away from pina coladas.

It can be done. I figure if I gain a few lbs, I'll just get right back on my plan when I get back and in a couple of weeks, I'll be back to the same weight:D

What's been helpful to me is eat light for breakfast and lunch...i.e. protein and such, no carbs and then whatever I want for dinner but no bread basket...works well and I never feel deprived...we do not however eat at the buffet, so I can't comment on that...

Like many of the PP's, my DH and I have also recently dropped some weight. What works for us is simple and we do not deprive ourselves on vacation. We most always use the stairs and walk the promenade several times a day. We try to keep it short, 10 minutes before breakfast, 10 minutes after, 10 minutes before a scheduled activity, 10 minutes in the evening. We also wear a pedometer - setting daily attainable goals. You'd be surprised how quickly you do 10,000 - 20,000 steps daily on some of these larger vessels.

Well done on the pounds lost! My advice would be to keep moving, walk as much as possible--when the weather is poor, I walk inside, and use the gym. Also, don't deprive yourself--just eat a little of what you like. I find that when I deprive myself, I sometimes just give up and then splurge. If taking any ship excursions, my husband and I try to take at least one walking tour--that helps, too. We have friends who are constantly on a diet and are always miserable. A few extra pounds are better than misery! :)

First off.....CONGRATULATIONS!:D

My DW and I have both lost over 75 lbs a piece and have kept it off for over 7 years now. We have both gained back a little but have now learned to level off. The bad part is that we have discovered to keep it off you have to keep doing the same basic things you did to get it off. ;) We love to travel and it is a challenge to eat right when we do. You just have to make up your mind that you are going to "stick with the program".

There have been many great suggestions. They all will help. Again, way to go! :D:D

Well done on the weight loss

we find that picking days in port that involves a lot of walking a good strategy - we may not come back lighter but definitely come back a lot fitter

Fruit and low carbs at breakfast - ok to eat bacon and tomato but remove the fat and no bread

Lunch stick with salad

Evening meal - eat like you do at home - we don;t eat starters or deserts at home so try to stay off them when away

all that said - I put on 5lb on our last cruise - but a week later it was off again so there was a lot of water retention happening.

Well done with your weight loss Blucruise25.

Like you, we also have to make wiser choices these days to keep the weight down, mainly keeping the carb intake as low as possible without depriving ourselves. Not easy at the best of times, nevermind on a cruise. Here's what we do to keep it under control, though we still gain between 2 - 7lbs :(

We have room service breakfast most days apart from a couple of times when we use the buffet for a treat. That way we aren't tempted and can stick to cereal, fruit and yogurt just as we do at home.

Lunchtimes we try to stick to protein such as meat and salad, with fruit for dessert.

Evenings we have exactly what we want, even some of the lovely breads and including a dessert. The portions aren't enormous so that's fine for us. We find now that we are soon full to bursting :eek: .

We avoid sugary drinks, don't snack and never use the lifts other than on embarkation and disembarkation days with the luggage. We often go up the stairs at one end of the ship and back down at the other end just for extra exercise. We don't use the gym, but walk miles and miles in ports.

Even after all this we can still feel the daily expansion and our clothes feel tight. We find it soon drops off once you return to normal diet at home.

I think you'll find it difficult NOT to keep making those wise choices onboard as you know how difficult it has been to lose the pounds in the first place.

Have a great cruise and enjoy some treats :D

At dinner when the waiter is taking the order for appetizer/salad (I only pick 1) and entree I also ask them for fruit for dessert. Then when the waiter comes around later with the dessert menu I know I've already ordered my fruit dessert and I don't order anything else. Congratulations upon your weight loss.

You could always speak to the Executive Chef and explain your goals. Tne Chef can tailor dishes to help you meet your needs. They are always willing to work with me and I'm sure they'll work with you too. Keep up the great work!

I've personally never gained on a cruise. Just keep to what you do at home when it comes to food.

I usually have dessert on the ship, but I find I'm more active on a cruise between walking on the deck, using the stairs instead of the elevator and doing walking tours on excursions.

If you drink alcohol stick with plain drinks IE rum and diet coke. (0 carbs, 0 sugar). If you drink fruity drinks they have lots of cals and sugar. Straight rye, rum etc is best (Crown Royal of the rocks any one).

I have recently lost 21 pounds and we cruise in 13 days for 14 nights. My DH keeps telling me the same thing. But I love Flirtinis, Yellow Birds, etc. and the only place I really get them is on the ship. Not sure what I will do. I don't want to gain too much weight, but I want to enjoy my trip.

Our last cruise was 15 days and I only gained 2 pounds. We love food and the wonderful food on Celebrity is one of the reasons we are loyal customers, but didn't want to gain a lot of weight on the long cruise. We decided that we would only eat something if it tasted amazing. With all the good food available, it's amazing how often we find that we were eating what was given to us regardless of whether it was really good. There's a lot of "filer" available. Cut out that part, enjoy the rest and have a great cruise!

I have recently lost 21 pounds and we cruise in 13 days for 14 nights. My DH keeps telling me the same thing. But I love Flirtinis, Yellow Birds, etc. and the only place I really get them is on the ship. Not sure what I will do. I don't want to gain too much weight, but I want to enjoy my trip.

I suggest you decide which is more important the wonderful Flirtinis or ice cream loaded with sugar and fat and no buzz :). I always choose the Flirtinis and skip desserts because the buzz is nice :p

Archived