Would you remove London or Paris?

Millenia98

Post cruise, we have about 4.5 days to do London and Paris – or just one. Now that I’m playing around with flights and train schedules, I’m wondering…would it be better to just go to one of these cities (I would choose Paris) – or should I try to do about 2 days in each one. This, versus 4.5 days in just Paris. We won’t be back to Europe next year b/c this is our third year in a row. Next year, it’ll likely be another continent.

Would you cut out one or try to do both? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

You'll be busy but 2 days in each city should be enough to cover the highlights. You just need to be organised and have a plan about what you want to see. if this will be you last chance to visit for the foreseeable future then I'd bite the bullet and visit both. If it has to be only one then good luck choosing because both have a huge amount to offer in their own ways. For history and landmarks pick London, for art and culture, Paris.

Have to agree. While both London and Paris are great cities to visit, our vote would always go to Paris which happens to be DWs favorite city on the planet. When friends ask us how we can stand the Parisians (even a lot of French do not like Parisians) we always reply that we love France despite the French :)

Hank

Have to agree. While both London and Paris are great cities to visit, our vote would always go to Paris which happens to be DWs favorite city on the planet. When friends ask us how we can stand the Parisians (even a lot of French do not like Parisians) we always reply that we love France despite the French :)

Hank

That stereotype of Parisians not being friendly did not ring true for us. To us, they were both friendly and helpful. Maybe it had something to do do with being there in the summer. Paris is my favorite city in Europe.

Two days is not enough in either city.

You'll be busy but 2 days in each city should be enough to cover the highlights. You just need to be organised and have a plan about what you want to see. if this will be you last chance to visit for the foreseeable future then I'd bite the bullet and visit both. If it has to be only one then good luck choosing because both have a huge amount to offer in their own ways. For history and landmarks pick London, for art and culture, Paris.

This whole post pretty-well sums up my own views.

Quite a few visitors have only a single pre or post-cruise day in London. Many only have a day-trip to Paris from a port-of-call at Le Havre, over 2 hours away. Some manage a day-trip to Paris from London (or vice-versa)

They can only scratch the surface, whereas with two days in each you can certainly "do" both cities. And Eurostar means the cities are remarkably close together.

But little time to sit & people-watch, or to spend a day in the British Museum or the Louvre. And there's plenty to fill four days and more in either city - plus places to go in nearby towns & countryside.

If you're likely to be in this neck of the woods in the forseeable future, best put one on the back-burner - your logistics might help decide which.

But if it's a once-in-a-lifetime, cover both in the one trip.

IMHO if your next visit is longer, perhaps a land visit, London (plus places from London) is worthy of the longer visit, though with a car you can fix a great tour of Normandy, Loire Valley etc from Paris. And with Eurostar, you can also split a longer visit between both.

JB :)

JB and others have summed up well that either option can be a WINNER!! It's a personal decision to fit you interests and style. It seems that you have been experienced doing lots in Europe. If you have more time in Paris, it does allow time to also do a day-trip whether it be Versailles, Loire, Reims/Champagne Country, Monet's Giverney, etc.

Then there is the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the France, etc? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice. Either way can work.

Here's a little more, as an example on VERSAILLES: By suburban subway/train (RER-C5 line, from St-Michel, every 15 minutes) or train (30 minutes) from Saint Lazare; started being built in 1660's for Sun King Louis XIV (during 1661 to 1715 period, involved 32,000 to 45,000 workers) in French classical architectural style; conceived as a world unto itself as seat of government, permanent residence of the royal family and the cream of nobility, was previously modest hunting lodge in swampy area; palace highlight is 236-foot long Hall of Mirrors where the treaty was signed ending WWI; a three-year restoration of this spectacular Hall of Mirrors was just completed in June 2007; through 2020, they are completing a $455 million project to upgrade Versailles with cleanings, new roofs, other restorations, etc.; this property has 700 rooms, 2,153 windows, 352 chimneys and 28 acres of roof; in the huge garden areas are Grand Canal, Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon and Hameau used by Marie Antoinette; town population of 100,000; possible bus tour or car drive options out to Versailles; open 9:45-5, park open sunrise to sunset; tour palace first and gardens later (closed Monday). From this website (http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

Plus more below on added, nearby options that are possible with more time in Paris. Lots to love there!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,522 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Monet’s Giverney has the gardens, his house, the pond and the famed bridge that he painted. It is located a little north of Paris near the town of Vernon.:

GivrHouseSpring.jpg

Fontainebleau has a great Royal history with spectacular interiors, etc. First, are the horseshoe-shaped stairs from which Napoleon bade farewell to his Old Guard and went into exile. Next is Napoleon's dramatic and large library as an example of just one interior gallery/hall.:

ParisFountblHorseshoeStairs.jpg

ParisFountblLibraryInterior.jpg

Vaux Le Vicomte was a spectacular inspiration for what would be the glory of Versailles. Here is its front view, then looking towards its gardens in the back and finally a view from the gardens towards to the back of the palace.:

ParisVauxFrontExterior.jpg

ParisVauxGardensStatue.jpg

ParisVauxPalaceRearStatute.jpg

Terry, how was travel to Vicomte? Since we were only in Paris for four days, we didn't have the time. We may be back in a couple of years and wondering if it is worth the logistics. I saw some tours which included dinner there and thought it might be a nice way to spend an evening. We won't have a car rental.

I agree with Terry - it really depends on what you want to see and how you want to spend your time (rushing to pack everything in or leisurely enjoying the sites). Both cities are great, but there really is a lot to see and do. So, for such a short amount of time, I would just pick one. For our Med cruise this past May, we split our pre/post cruise stays between Paris and London, spending 4 days in Paris and 3 days in London. While we managed to see/do a lot in each city, if I could go back and do it again I would just choose one place.

Terry, how was travel to Vicomte? Since we were only in Paris for four days, we didn't have the time. We may be back in a couple of years and wondering if it is worth the logistics. I saw some tours which included dinner there and thought it might be a nice way to spend an evening. We won't have a car rental.

Good question!! We had a rental car, moving, over time, from Alsace/Eastern France, to Reims/Champagne Country, then staying just south of Paris and then going to the Loire Valley, then Burgundy, etc.

At Vaux Le Vicomte, we were there on a Saturday night, doing a special "twi-light" program that was super wonderful. It is hard to do Vaux Le Vicomte direct from Paris. Possible, but the logistics get a little harder.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 104,522 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry. The tour companies provide transportation there. I thought dinner in a palace would be great. Since we saw most of the basics this summer, I thought this might be a good take. But it would definitely take up a good portion of a day and we have already been to Versailles. We have a long time to figure out our itinerary for our next four days in Paris and look forward to the less obvious things and enjoying Paris at a slower pace. For OP, two days in Paris is better than nothing. But if you can do four, take advantage. I have never warmed up to London, but really like seeing shows in the West End. Maybe I need to spend more time there. Have been there twice for a total of four days.

• 3 weeks later...
Post cruise, we have about 4.5 days to do London and Paris – or just one. Now that I’m playing around with flights and train schedules, I’m wondering…would it be better to just go to one of these cities (I would choose Paris) – or should I try to do about 2 days in each one. This, versus 4.5 days in just Paris. We won’t be back to Europe next year b/c this is our third year in a row. Next year, it’ll likely be another continent.

Would you cut out one or try to do both? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

You could 'SEE' both but you have to have a well thought out plan. Some tips: Book evening tours ex: Louvre, T.Eiffel & B.Palace. Buy 'skip the line' entrance tickets online & book a tour guide if possible. Weather permitting, sitting atop the HoHo is also good but time consuming, The Big Red Bus in London has a person commentating the tour. Also, stay at a centrally located hotel within walking distance of the Must See sights.

Archived