Help! I've accidentally booked a 9am flight after Allure...

jarz85

Ughhh I've stuffed up! For some reason, I have no idea why, I booked our flight on disembarkation day from the Allure at 9:00am departure. I knew from the start I need to book a flight after 12pm but somehow I've ended up booking a 9:00am departure.

I can change the flight for $150pp (4 people) or leave it as is and hope the ship clears customs quick.

Should I keep the 9am flight and hope for the best? I've heard of people getting to FLL at 7:30am after leaving Allure/Oasis? We can line up at the exit before the ship clears to be the first lot of people off and then run to a taxi? So long as we are at the airport by 8.30am we should be ok?

What do you reckon we should do?

Just more info... it is a domestic US flight, however we are Australian citizens. Can we still get through customs quick or do international guests disembarking the ship have to go through additional screening?

I can be done, but everything has to be perfect. You will have to pack so that you can walk off the ship. Get one of the first cabs. Are you gold, platinum, emerald,diamond? If you are a higher loyalty group, you can get off faster. I would be worrying the entire trip so I don't know if it would be worth it to me to try it. Security Lines at Fort Lauderdale (FLL) can be very slow because of all the novice traverlers trying to bring their stuff they bought on vacation through the check point. You can stock a pretty good sized bar from the alchol left at the FLL check point.:eek:

When & how did you book the flights? The new US passenger protection law allows for full refunds for up to 24 hours after booking. If you just booked it and booked it directly with the airline, contact the airline immediately (don't say change your ticket--just ask for a full refund and then re-book). If you booked through a 3rd party site (Orbitz, etc.) I don't know if that would apply. If it's been more than 24 hours, I'd still make the change now. While $150 per person plus any fare difference would be expensive, it could be more costly if you miss your flight and have to purchase full fare tickets with no advance purchase (even if the airline were to be sympathetic and allow you to travel standby on later flights you could be sitting and waiting for flights for days).

As for arriving at the airport 30 minutes before flight, that is cutting it extremely close. If you've checked in online in advance and have no checked luggage you might make it. Most airlines have a cut off for checking luggage around 45 minutes before flight time. Security lines at FLL on a morning where cruise ships come in could be very long. Also, most airlines require you to be at the gate a minimum of 10 minutes before departure time (some say 15 minutes) or they have the right to give away your seats.

I know that non-US citizens are often cleared in different lines from US citizens. I would think the amount of time to clear would depend on how many non-US citizens on the ship and how many agents devoted to the line.

Good luck!

We have been in and out of the airport many times and would put your odds of making a 9am flight at less then 50-50. Keep in mind that the normal US standard for a domestic flight out of FLL is to arrive 90 min before your flight! Getting there at 8:30 will not work. Some airlines even insist that if you are checking luggage you must have it checked 45 min before your flight. And once checked-in you still will have to wait in line to get through security (these lines can be long) and since FLL is a large airport it can quite a hike to your gate. In addition, many US airlines now have a rule that you must be at the gate at least 20 min before your flight or you can be denied boarding.

So now you have the bad news.

Hank

This flight is way too early and I wouldn't risk it. What airline did you book with? I think Delta still offers a complete refund within 24 hours? I would call ASAP to see what you can do.

I can confirm that United Airlines does the same too because I just purchased tickets from them yesterday and I saw the "24 hour" refund policy as well.

Sorry I can't help you much in your predicament.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you...

Thanks for the replies.

We have no status with RCL but are staying in a suite and can do self disembark.

We booked the flights 2 days ago so just out of the 24 hour period! I don't know how I missed that I booked the wrong time flight! GRR!

I think I'll just pay the $600 and change the time... at least that way we can enjoy a last breakfast on the Allure!

Thanks for the replies.

We have no status with RCL but are staying in a suite and can do self disembark.

We booked the flights 2 days ago so just out of the 24 hour period! I don't know how I missed that I booked the wrong time flight! GRR!

I think I'll just pay the $600 and change the time... at least that way we can enjoy a last breakfast on the Allure!

I know that airlines have that 24 hour policy, but maybe (I know it’s a very long shot, but we’re talking $600 here) can you phone them up and explain your situation? I don’t know how much long distance/oversea call charges you’ll accumulate in the waiting time and finally talking to, hopefully, a compassionate airline rep who might be willing to waive the change fees.

If the above is not a viable option, then just like you said, you can look forward to a leisurely last breakfast on the beautiful Allure and an easy disembarkation :D

Our flight was at 11am but we decided to do the self-checkout. We left the ship at 6:15, able to clear customs by 7am, get a taxi and at the airport at 7:15. We were in the terminal by 8am. Thank goodness for smartphones to make the time fly by. Oh, by the way, friends of ours had a 9am flight. They left the same time we did and they made it.

So it's possible to make the 9am flight. Good luck to you!

It seems it's one of those 'Do you try your luck' situation. Normally we book flexible plane tickets but for this one flight we decided to pay the extra and book a "First Class non-refundable" ticket. And of course, it's the one flight I completely stuffed up...

I will ring them up now, it's 11:30pm here so it must be morning in the USA. If they won't change it for free (gotta try) I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow~!

It looks like you have awhile before the cruise. If the airline makes any changes to the flight time, they will let you change your tickets for free. I might wait it out and see if they change the schedule at all. What airline is it?

However, if your flight is at 9 am, they start boarding at 8:30 am. So arriving at 8:30 is pushing it.

Maggie

Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that you are Australian, so one small advantage is you go to the non-US custom agents. Since you are in transit (if you are travelling home) it is much faster than US as you have nothing to declare. We are Canadian and with every cruise we have taken in FLL that was our situation.

But as I stated earlier please pay the deviation fee and have a less stressful day of travel with a later flight time.

It looks like you have awhile before the cruise. If the airline makes any changes to the flight time, they will let you change your tickets for free. I might wait it out and see if they change the schedule at all. What airline is it?

However, if your flight is at 9 am, they start boarding at 8:30 am. So arriving at 8:30 is pushing it.

Maggie

It's US Airways. I just rang them up then and spoke to a very grumpy lady :(. She said it would be $150pp to change the ticket plus a $50 phone service fee pp. So that would be $800 total :eek:

I will just sleep on it and decide in the morning. Maybe we can book another economy fare for less than $150pp (I will see when Jetblue release their dates).

GRR I can't believe I stuffed this up... I have booked 10 flights for this mega trip, including 4 international flights and this is the only thing I stuffed up!

I noticed that you are Australian, so one small advantage is you go to the non-US custom agents. Since you are in transit (if you are travelling home) it is much faster than US as you have nothing to declare. We are Canadian and with every cruise we have taken in FLL that was our situation.

But as I stated earlier please pay the deviation fee and have a less stressful day of travel with a later flight time.

We aren't travelling home... we are flying to New York! Does anyone know what the deal is if you miss your flight by like 30 mins? Once you get to the airport do they just put you on standby for another flight?

Does anyone know what the deal is if you miss your flight by like 30 mins? Once you get to the airport do they just put you on standby for another flight?

They are not required to do this; if you have lots of status with the airline they are more likely to be generous with you, but otherwise you would really have to hope they cut you slack. If you miss the flight (without the airline being to blame) they have the right to cancel your ticket - so you may have to pay full price for last minute tickets. On other occasions they cut you a little slack (and do not make you pay full price), but charge you change fees and/or differences in fare from what you paid for your tickets and the current price of the flight you are trying to get onto. Also be advised that these days airplanes fly full as much as possible, so it is not always easy to get on a later flight - especially during a day cruise ships are in town.

A 9am flight is doable for Oasis/Allure as the terminal was built to allow really smooth debarkation, the ships almost always arrive on time and the airport is so close - but it is nevertheless quite risky since you have minimal wiggle room for anything other than a short delay.

Also, not that this will help much...

I checked our itinerary and the Allure is the ONLY ship in port on Sunday 5th May 2013. That means there shouldn't be a huge line at the airport early on a Sunday morning!?

I reckon we should live life on the edge and deal with the consequences later :D

If this were your international flight home, I'd say buck up and pay for the change. But $200 per person to change a FLL to NYC flight? That is crazy. And since Allure generally arrives and disembarks very early, so you have a real chance of making that domestic flight. I would hold on to those tickets...If you are comfortable doing self disembarkation (and can handle the risk without stressing too much), you may well make that flight. If this will drive you crazy in the interim, you can hope the airline will change their flight schedule, giving you the opportunity to renegotiate with them or get a refund. You should watch fares and perhaps buy cheap tickets from a different airline later in the day...then you would have two sets of tickets and can select whichever flight works better that day.

Also, not that this will help much...

I checked our itinerary and the Allure is the ONLY ship in port on Sunday 5th May 2013. That means there shouldn't be a huge line at the airport early on a Sunday morning!?

I reckon we should live life on the edge and deal with the consequences later :D

I'd say go for it! This past May, the Allure was also the only ship in port at the time of disembarkation and that made our transfer from ship to airport very smooth. Again, we self-disembarked at 6:15am. I'm not sure about the living on the edge/consequences you are referring to since I don't think any of that applies to your situation.

If you're going to attempt to make the 9 AM flight, you might want to consider paying for luggage concierge service if it's offered for your airline. I think it's $25 PP, and they pick up your bags the night before and take them to airport and get them checked in for you so all you have to worry about is yourself and your carry-on luggage. If you're in a suite, it's complimentary. We used this on our Oasis trip because we were in a suite, and it was great.

Archived