E-Docs rant!!

aggietd

That colour thing was what bothered me, did ask my travel agent and she said black and white was fine, but I just requested them from royal caribbean anyway.

Nancy

I'd like to know from you or anyone else, as to the reasons why color is important. Since the tags have your printed name and stateroom number, then why does it matter if the tags are in color versus black/white? Is it absolutely a matter of preference?

I'd like to know from you or anyone else, as to the reasons why color is important. Since the tags have your printed name and stateroom number, then why does it matter if the tags are in color versus black/white? Is it absolutely a matter of preference?

I assume that the color of the tag is either related to what part of the ship you are on (Allure has 4 quadrants), or some other systems (coded by cabintype?) that speeds up the sorting/delivering of the luggage.

It's like sending a letter without a zipcode. It will most likely get there eventually, but with a proper zipcode it will go faster.

Sorry for your frustration, OP. Personally, I just print the Set Sail pass and luggage tags (in color, for what it's worth). I don't bother printing all of that other stuff but I do save it to an electronic device which I take with me. I believe I recently read something about RCI discontinuing luggage tags via postal mail unless you are in a suite or above. So save yourself some black ink / paper and let the porters supply you with the tags.

Have a great cruise!

Nancy, I wouldn't think that black and white luggage tags would be a problem. After all, lots of folks wait and have the porters tag their luggage at the pier. Those are handwritten tags -- no color coding, and sometimes barely legible.

Just wanted to agree with this.

The only thing that you need to print out is your set sail pass to board. The edocs are just for your reading enjoyment. :D

I love to read! Not sure if edocs truly qualify as reading enjoyment. ;) Loved your humor.

To OP: Maybe you could outline your black and white copy in the color shown in your edocs. At the very least that might attract the luggage handlers eye.

I will miss getting our luggage tags in the mail. It adds to the pre-cruise excitement. I know, it's only a tag that ends up in the trash. I still like getting them! :cool:

If you want to keep a copy handy what I do is use a program on my computer called a PDF printer. There are several programs that do this, but I use one called "bullzip". Basically the program creates a printer on your computer, but when you print to it, it makes your printout into a PDF file (Adobe). You can then save the file on your computer so you can open it later, or even copy it to a memory stick or email it to a friend in case you don't have your own printer. I also copy the files to my smartphone in case I need to look anything up quickly or we need a last minute copy of something.

I do the same thing. Then I upload them to Evernote. Look it up on Evernote.com or you can use google docs. Then you can access the info anytime you have an Internet connection (like your phone if you have data plan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

3. You're going on a cruise. Your complaining comes across as silly and missing the big picture.

Totally unnecessary condescending comment. It's not a problem having a differing opinion but pretty pompous to be that dismissive.

Correct me if I am wrong ( I know some folks around here LOVE to do that!), but can't you still get the old-school docs by mail for a fee ($35 I think?)

If so, I will continue to get the docs by mail, and I am more than happy to pay the fee, when I think of what I pay for cruising, a $35 fee to make me happy is really nothing.:)

The reason I will pay for them isn't even really for me, my kids have a whole tradition when it comes to sticking the tags on the luggage, I'm not going to take their tradition away because RCCL chooses to cut corners, I'll simply pay to get what I want, that's generally the way the world works.:rolleyes:

You can no longer get luggage tags mailed to you, even for the fee. I suggest you have the kids start a new tradition of getting the luggage tags printed, cut up, and laminated. Then, they can put them on the baggage. The whole lamination process is a good project, too.

Totally unnecessary condescending comment. It's not a problem having a differing opinion but pretty pompous to be that dismissive.

So.., you do the same thing?

I thought it a valid point, although I might have tweaked the phrasing a bit.

I do miss the excitement of the docs arriving the mail, but have gotten use to filling out my info online and printing the set sail pass (I don't print the other pages). I do as others have noted regarding saving a copy as a .pdf file and email it to myself so it's on my phone.

As for the luggage tags, that was the only excitement left and it too is gone. For what it's worth, I have stayed in many different categories and parts of the ship and the color was always the same. The only difference was moving from "gold" to "platinum". I assume moving to "emerald" and "diamond" is also a different color. I don't think that has much to do with the location.....although I have not sailed on Oasis/Allure so they may have a system.

I personally am not willing to pay $35 to mail the docs to me and I'm not sure if the luggage tags are in there are not. Although I feel sorry for new cruisers never having that experience that I used to have when I was more of a newbie cruiser. Poor newbies!

It would be frustrating if they aren't providing the option for mail. I have seen it before. I wonder if it is something to do with booking through a TA or if it's the UK website being different then US website? I think I did read somewhere that UK is still sending the tags (although I could be mistaken, I'm obviously not in the UK).

Sorry for the disappointment. I can understand. I guess it's been awhile since I've received them mail that I forgot about the excitement.

My TA sent an email to print all the docs. I was disappointed. You all are such tekkies. I don't have a phone to send all these documents to. I now have a pay as you go phone and only put $100 on it a couple times a year... I am SO in the dark ages! I figure when I retire, my needs will change and maybe I'll get a tablet or ipad or some other new revolutionary technology they have by that time. LOL..

As others have stated, I, too, enjoyed getting something useful in the mail instead of all the JUNK all these companies continue to send us every week.... just look how much wasted paper is put out by Publishers Clearing House every week!

We got a new printer recently and passed up the color this time because it was always running out of the colored stuff. So... maybe I'll just get out the colored markers and spiff up a couple luggage tags.

I know a lot of people will dissagree with this post, but I an slightly miffed and need to rant!!

Also small niggle, but when I looked at the 'full' brochure there are all sorts of things in it that are not in the printer friendly version, Friendly 11 pages, Full 37 pages, that is one lot of ink!! I know about most of what is extra but, Am I being to picky!! but part of the excitement of the cruise was getting the Docs in the post, I know we should be saving resorces but!!

Love to hear others opinions on this, well rant over.

Still looking forward to a lovely cruise.

Nancy

You should be able to print out just the pages you need and not the whole document

I do agree that companies should still offer old fashioned post (even for a small fee if necessary) as not everyone is computer savvy.

The e-Doc is so useless I dont know why anyone would waste ink to print it other than the itinerary and your own personal data of the booking pages.

My rant is I could not seem to just print what I deem useful. I ended up use the screen capture software to capture the "open window" of the page I wanted and printed that one only.

By the fact that the printer friendly version is 20 some pages LESS than the fancy version you would understand that so much useless stuff are there. When you take out the Contract of Carriage and all other stuff that are geared to first time cruiser, you literally have may be 3 to 4 pages that are all you need.

As a matter of fact you really dont want to have any need to read the fine print of the CoC because if you do, there must be something has gone terribly wrong and you are trying to figure out if you are due for some compensation. Just save the doc in your hard drive and delete it once you finish your trip.

Morning Everybody,

Thanks to everybody who took the time to comment on this thread, whether you agree with me on not, everybody is intitled to ther own opinion, thats what makes the world such a diverse place.

Couple of points, there does seem to be a little bit of a difference between USA and the UK docs.

No, i didnt need to print of the whole document, just about six pages, (air tickets, transfers to from dock/airport, travel summary and contract ticket and of course the famous luggage tags!!, and thats what I did, my set sail pass was on a different part of the page and not with my e-docs, so I was not referring to that.

My original point is that I like to keep refering to the rest of the folder (rubbish or not)and since my computer study is at the top of the house (three flights of stairs) and I dont have a lap top, or a tablet, just an old fashioned PC, I like a paper copy to keep referring to and keep up the excitement. I do however have a e-book and I had never even thought about transfering the doc on to that, thank you to those who mentioned that, I am going to try it this afternoon. I have never tried to transfer a pdf file to it before, but I am willing to have a go, hope it works as one poster even has the camera manuals on it what a great idea.

Thanks also for the tip about colouring the edges of the labels, why are all the simple ideas the best! If the tags dont arrive from RCL then that is what I will do, just colour in the bit that is coloured on the tag.

As for my complaint be silly, well maybe it is (but I didnt think so) and I make no appologies for it, I just happen to be one of those people (and I think there are quite a few of us) that get very excited over every little detail of my cruise, from booking to the very last day, and the day that stops is the day I will stop cruising, (hopefully because I'm dead!!).

Thanks again for all the tips and Happy Cruising.

Nancy

Go one step more and put the pdf file (and other travel docs)on your cloud, Sky Drive, or google drive and you can access them from any computer.

That's what I do. I really like to use evernote.com, because you can encrypt certain things and they require a password to be viewed.

If you want to keep a copy handy what I do is use a program on my computer called a PDF printer.

If you are on a Mac, the ability to print to PDF is already on your computer. Just look at the lower left corner of the print window, and click on PDF.

I printed the few pages that were necessary for the four of us, and loaded the entire doc to my Kindle, just in case.

Since our last cruise this past Oct, we were still getting the tags mailed to us, my question regarding printing and they are in B&W, can't you indicate on your Printer options, to print in color.?

If I only want to print out certain pages which I have done, I indicate pages 1 to 4 or whatever the pages are I need to print.

That colour thing was what bothered me, did ask my travel agent and she said black and white was fine, but I just requested them from royal caribbean anyway.

Nancy

Royal doesn't send tags anymore unless you are in a grand suite, owners suite or Pinnicle status. the last tags mailed were in Aug. got mine just before they stoped for my Aug cruise.

Archived