London to Southhampton transportation

Sora

We have booked a Baltic Cruise on Celebrity but plan to spend four days in London before our cruise starts on May 25th. We need transportation from Heathrow to our hotel. Then from the hotel to Southampton on May 25th. At the end we need transportation from Southampton to Heathrow-Terminal 1. Can you help?

Your choices are basically

- private car, sedan/saloon car should be about 100 GBP Heathrow - South, 150 GBP London - South

- National Express bus (about 16 GBP person) from Heathrow to Southampton then local taxi to cruise terminal (6 to 10 GBP), (cheaper from London)

- Train, Waterloo to Southampton with taxi's at either end (faster but more expensive than bus option)

- Tour Transfer Coach (50 GBP) London or Heathrow hotel to cruise terminal via Stonehenge or in the opposite direction 3 different itineraries 50-70 GBP visiting Salisbury, Windsor, Bath Stonehenge

The crucial element is where your hotel is in London, especially for the Heathrow - Hotel sector. London has no "downtown" area, hotels are spread over a wide area.

I have the same situation. My hotel is in the Kings Cross area. I need to get to Southampton on October 13th. I am having no luck searching the National Bus website. Are suitcases also an issue on bus travel? I guess for me I want the cheapest and easiest way to get from point a to point b.

Cheapest is walking, easiest is private helicopter, so I suspect you're looking for a blend of cheap and ease.

Coach to Southampton Coach Station (don't pick the pier option)

Lots of coaches from London's Victoria Coach Station

Train to Southampton Central

3x Hourly fast trains (1½ hr) from London Waterloo. Advantages fast, cheap tickets available on megabus.com ; disadvantage price; getting to Waterloo across London

1x Hourly slow train (2½ hr) from London Victoria. Advantage closer to KingsX

1x Hourly fast train (1 3/4hr) from London Paddington, but requires a change at Reading; disadvantage changing trains, price; advantage closest option to KingsX

Private Transfer

disavantage: very high price; advantage door to door service

As you can see, every option has good and bad. Without knowing which are most important to you, it's hard to make the decision.

Heathrow to hotel:

The tube is cheapest at about £6 pp & very simple. Tube isn't luggage friendly, but you're boarding at the start and it's a direct tube train, no changes, so perfectly manageable. I guess around an hour.

Its the way I'd go.

Heathrow Express. About 20 mins to Paddington station, but costs £19 pp. Then taxi about 3 miles, mebbe £12. A direct tube option Paddington to Kings X, but if you're gonna do that you might as well ride the tube all the way.

Nat Express bus to Victoria coach station, then 4 mile taxi ride or walk to Victoria tube station & direct tube. Not the best option.

Private transfer. Pre-booked door-to-door, about £40, 40 minutes. Lots of operators (not smiths or west quay, who are based Southampton)

Hotel to Southampton.

Train. First you need to get to Waterloo station or Victoria station.

To Waterloo station. If your hotel is walkable from Euston tube station, a direct tube train. Or a 2-mile taxi ride. Then about 3 direct trains per hour to Southampton, journey time about 90 mins, tickets about £36. Or pre-book Megatrain tickets, available on a selected few trains from as low as £1. Megatrain tix only valid for the train you select, no amendments, no refunds.

To Victoria station. Direct tube from Kings X station, or 4 mile taxi ride. Then hourly direct trains to Southampton, journey time about 2.5 hours (a slow & convoluted but fairly scenic route), fares vary between £8 and £20. There is also the option of more frequent trains from Victoria, involving a change of train at Clapham Junction to join the train that left from Waterloo - but the change is no fun with luggage. No megatrain tickets from Victoria.

National Express coach. Taxi to Victoria coach station, or tube to Victoria & short walk to coach station. Hourly coach service, journey time about 2hrs 15mins, fare about £6. Your destination is Southampton coach station, the cruise ship option doesn't apply to your ship.

Greyhound coach. From adjacent Victoria coach station to Southampton town quay. A virtually identical service, choose according to price or convenient departure time.

Both coach companies - pre-booking is pretty essential to guarantee, & luggage limitation 2 x 44lb cases + handluggage per passenger.

For all the above, a £5 to £8 ride to your ship in a Southampton taxi.

Cruise ship transfer. Usually leave from Victoria coach station.

Sightseeing coach transfer, hotel to ship via Stonehenge. See London Toolkit website below.

Private transfer about £130 with www.smithsforairports.com or www.westquaycars.com both regularly used by CC members.

I'd go megatrain, or private transfer if my pocket were deep enough.

Southampton to Heathrow.

Train is a pain. Frequent London-bound trains, alight at Woking & transfer to RailLink shuttle to Heathrow. Total journey time about 2 hrs, fare about £36 (includes shuttle). No megatrain tix.

National Express coach. Poor frequency - about one every two hours. Journey time about 2 hours, fare about £17. No Greyhound service on this route.

Cruise ship transfers - suits flights up to about 12.30.

Sight-seeing coach transfer - only suits evening flights.

Private transfer, eg smiths or west quay, about £90, journey time 80 mins upwards depending on day/time (traffic)

I'd go National Express coach or private transfer

http://www.tubemap.com/

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

JB :)

I have the same situation. My hotel is in the Kings Cross area. I need to get to Southampton on October 13th. I am having no luck searching the National Bus website. Are suitcases also an issue on bus travel? I guess for me I want the cheapest and easiest way to get from point a to point b.

Kings Cross / St Pancras is the "wrong" side of Central London for public transport to Southampton, you will probably spend more on a taxi from Kings Cross to Victoria where National Express buses start than on the bus trip to Southampton.

The Underground is the cheap alternative but can be a pain if you have more than one case and Victoria Coach Station is a 10 minute walk from Victoria Underground Station.

When you do the National Express travel planner your departure point should be London Victoria and your destination Southampton Bus Station (not cruise terminal)

Greyhound UK run head to head with National Express on this same route which is part reason why its so cheap.

Luggage limit on National Express before you trigger excess luggage charges is 2 cases neither of which should weigh more than 20kg (44lbs) plus one hand luggage (handbag / laptop size not aircraft hand luggage size)

Edited by handfordr

Kings Cross / St Pancras is the "wrong" side of Central London for public transport to Southampton, you will probably spend more on a taxi from Kings Cross to Victoria where National Express buses start than on the bus trip to Southampton.

The Underground is the cheap alternative but can be a pain if you have more than one case and Victoria Coach Station is a 10 minute walk from Victoria Underground Station.

When you do the National Express travel planner your departure point should be London Victoria and your destination Southampton Bus Station (not cruise terminal)

Greyhound UK run head to head with National Express on this same route which is part reason why its so cheap.

Luggage limit on National Express before you trigger excess luggage charges is 2 cases neither of which should weigh more than 20kg (44lbs) plus one hand luggage (handbag / laptop size not aircraft hand luggage size)

Yes but the walk from the bus terminal to the port is very managable (at least for us, .6 miles I believe).

Hotel to Southampton.

Train. First you need to get to Waterloo station or Victoria station.

To Waterloo station. If your hotel is walkable from Euston tube station, a direct tube train. Or a 2-mile taxi ride. Then about 3 direct trains per hour to Southampton, journey time about 90 mins, tickets about £36. Or pre-book Megatrain tickets, available on a selected few trains from as low as £1. Megatrain tix only valid for the train you select, no amendments, no refunds.

To Victoria station. Direct tube from Kings X station, or 4 mile taxi ride. Then hourly direct trains to Southampton, journey time about 2.5 hours (a slow & convoluted but fairly scenic route), fares vary between £8 and £20. There is also the option of more frequent trains from Victoria, involving a change of train at Clapham Junction to join the train that left from Waterloo - but the change is no fun with luggage. No megatrain tickets from Victoria.

National Express coach. Taxi to Victoria coach station, or tube to Victoria & short walk to coach station. Hourly coach service, journey time about 2hrs 15mins, fare about £6. Your destination is Southampton coach station, the cruise ship option doesn't apply to your ship.

Greyhound coach. From adjacent Victoria coach station to Southampton town quay. A virtually identical service, choose according to price or convenient departure time.

Both coach companies - pre-booking is pretty essential to guarantee, & luggage limitation 2 x 44lb cases + handluggage per passenger.

For all the above, a £5 to £8 ride to your ship in a Southampton taxi.

Cruise ship transfer. Usually leave from Victoria coach station.

Sightseeing coach transfer, hotel to ship via Stonehenge. See London Toolkit website below.

Private transfer about £130 with www.smithsforairports.com or www.westquaycars.com both regularly used by CC members.

I'd go megatrain, or private transfer if my pocket were deep enough.

http://www.tubemap.com/

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

JB: I just want to thank you for the very detailed help you give on cruisecritic. You helped me on the Southampton to Glasglow thread and was needing the above information for our return to Southampton from London later in the month. So thanks again for the time you spend doing such detailed planning for others.

Thank you JB for your wonderful and detailed information. We will be flying RT from the U.S. to LHR next May for a cruise leaving from and returning to Southampton.

We plan to take the NE bus both ways (LHR to Southampton and returning Southampton to LHR). We will not be going into London this time due to time restraints.

In 2008, we were on a transatlantic cruise that ended in Southampton and we took the NE bus from there to London, Victoria Coach Station, and then walked over to the Victoria tube station.

It was easy to do even with our rolling cases (the size that fits under the airplane seat). We were even able to eat lunch in the food court right above the tube entrance. We then took the tube to our hotel in Earl's Court.

I am just starting my research, so I really appreciate your help!

Cheers!

Barbara and Orlando

Sooo.... I know I am planning a little early, but I was trying to check the National Express website for transportation between between London and Southampton...

Of all my entries, none work... see my example in the attachment.

Could it be the fact that my travel date is in May 2013 and that I am just too early in checking? :o

Thanks much...

677803618_nationalexpress_bad.jpg.a0f691dc2b14ccd4285a8901158b78a8.jpg

Sooo.... I know I am planning a little early, but I was trying to check the National Express website for transportation between between London and Southampton...

Could it be the fact that my travel date is in May 2013 and that I am just too early in checking? :o

Thanks much...

On the example you have posted, it looks like you have manually typed in a location (London Victoria) that doesn't exist in the database. You need to select one of the options that appears as you type, in this case London (Victoria Coach Station), I would assume.

On the example you have posted, it looks like you have manually typed in a location (London Victoria) that doesn't exist in the database. You need to select one of the options that appears as you type, in this case London (Victoria Coach Station), I would assume.

Your correct for that specific picture.... :rolleyes:

However, I had chosen many different selections from given choices and as previously mentioned, none worked. :( I am not sure if I was doing something else wrong.

Thanks much...

Two problems.

Firstly, the Eagle has cracked it. The website is sensitive to every letter. You need to type just London, then click on the first option in the drop-down box, London (Victoria coach station)

Secondly, yes your date may be a little too far out. I can currently get results up to 12th May.

Pricings & timings are unlikely to change if for the moment you want to research a random date (same day-of-the-week) in early May

A forewarning - some folks' credit cards don't allow them to buy. If you have a problem at that stage, you need to contact your card issuer & ask them to unblock this transaction/foreign transactions generally

Edited by John Bull

Two problems.

Firstly, the Eagle has cracked it. The website is sensitive to every letter. You need to type just London, then click on the first option in the drop-down box, London (Victoria coach station)

Secondly, yes your date may be a little too far out. I can currently get results up to 12th May.

Pricings & timings are unlikely to change if for the moment you want to research a random date (same day-of-the-week) in early May

A forewarning - some folks' credit cards don't allow them to buy. If you have a problem at that stage, you need to contact your card issuer & ask them to unblock this transaction/foreign transactions generally

The date I was looking at was for the 14th.... thus I will try your suggestion for an earlier date just to see if it works.

Many thanks to you and "the Eagle" for your help... :)

The date I was looking at was for the 14th.... thus I will try your suggestion for an earlier date just to see if it works.

Many thanks to you and "the Eagle" for your help... :)

And so, choosing one week earlier worked fine!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again and kind regards!! :)

• 3 months later...
We have booked a Baltic Cruise on Celebrity but plan to spend four days in London before our cruise starts on May 25th. We need transportation from Heathrow to our hotel. Then from the hotel to Southampton on May 25th. At the end we need transportation from Southampton to Heathrow-Terminal 1. Can you help?

I'm curious if you are still looking into transfers. We are also on this cruise and will be staying at the Marriott County Hall. Debating on whether to hire a private car or try the National Express bus as we will be close to Victoria Station.

Cheryl

I'm curious if you are still looking into transfers. We are also on this cruise and will be staying at the Marriott County Hall. Debating on whether to hire a private car or try the National Express bus as we will be close to Victoria Station.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

The Marriott County Hall is just a 5 -10 minute level walk to Waterloo rail station.

SouthWest Trains run 2 to 3 direct trains per hour, journey time to Southampton about 90 minutes, regular fare about £36

But pre-paid tickets cost as little as £1 per person (that's about a dollar & a half) when bought in advance from http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Megatrain is a subsidiary of SouthWest Trains, they charter carriages on the regular trains & offers cut-price tickets. The carriages are exactly the same as the regular carriages, they just have Megatrain signs in the windows.

Megatrain operate on only a selected few trains, you would need either the 09.39 (arrives at Southampton 11.12, cost £1) or the 11.39 (arrives 1.12pm, cost £6). You must pre-purchase, & the tickets are only good for the train you book - no cancellations or amendments.

Tickets can only be bought from about 8 weeks out.

National Express sometimes also offer cut-price tickets (fun-fares) for as little as £1, but you''d need a cab to Victoria - about £10 - £15.

From Southampton central rail station or coach station it's a £5 to £8 taxi hop to any cruise terminal

Cheryl

Cheryl, I found MegaTrain from Waterloo was excellent especially given the ticket was so cheap. Waterloo was very easy to get into with luggage ( I was managing alone) and to navigate. The train was just as easy to board and quite nice to watch the different towns we went through. The train station is just across the street from many of the hotels (I walked). My Hotel in Southampton had a dedicated phone to call for a taxi. So when I was ready to leave I called and it was about 5 GBP. I did order my MegaTrain ticket online from the USA without any trouble and about 1 month ahead of time. Sara

SouthWest Trains run 2 to 3 direct trains per hour, journey time to Southampton about 90 minutes, regular fare about £36

But pre-paid tickets cost as little as £1 per person (that's about a dollar & a half) when bought in advance from http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Megatrain is a subsidiary of SouthWest Trains, they charter carriages on the regular trains & offers cut-price tickets. The carriages are exactly the same as the regular carriages, they just have Megatrain signs in the windows.

Megatrain operate on only a selected few trains, you would need either the 09.39 (arrives at Southampton 11.12, cost £1) or the 11.39 (arrives 1.12pm, cost £6). You must pre-purchase, & the tickets are only good for the train you book - no cancellations or amendments.

Cheryl, I found MegaTrain from Waterloo was excellent especially given the ticket was so cheap.
Just for balance, what you get if you don't buy a Megatrain ticket but do the trip on a normal ticket is the flexibility to get up when you please, turn up at Waterloo when you please, and wait an average of only 15 minutes for the next fast train to Southampton - ie a transfer running to your own schedule rather than Megatrain's schedule, with no stress about having to get a specific train or about possibly missing it. (I think that Megatrain's tickets are only on the slower trains to Southampton, and even then not all of them.)

In addition, if you happen to be travelling to/from Southampton on Saturday or Sunday, you can then buy a cheap upgrade to first class.

Obviously, some people will prefer one method and some people will prefer the other, but it's worth knowing what you miss out on if you decide to go for the Megatrain option.

Just for balance, what you get if you don't buy a Megatrain ticket but do the trip on a normal ticket is the flexibility to get up when you please, turn up at Waterloo when you please, and wait an average of only 15 minutes for the next fast train to Southampton - ie a transfer running to your own schedule rather than Megatrain's schedule, with no stress about having to get a specific train or about possibly missing it. (I think that Megatrain's tickets are only on the slower trains to Southampton, and even then not all of them.)

In addition, if you happen to be travelling to/from Southampton on Saturday or Sunday, you can then buy a cheap upgrade to first class.

Obviously, some people will prefer one method and some people will prefer the other, but it's worth knowing what you miss out on if you decide to go for the Megatrain option.

Globaliser & I agree on most things, this is a regular exception :p

I've never been able to persuade Globaliser but hopefully I can persuade you ;)

The Megatrain ticket saving for two people is a minimum of about £60!!! Even if you end up travelling on the same train.

But if you buy Megatrain tickets & then foul-up or have a change of plan you'll only have thrown away between £1 and £6 each.

The difference in journey time between the stopping train (used by Megatrain) & the express is only 15 to 20 minutes. And if you simply roll up at the station, buy full-price tickets & catch the next available train you've a one-in-three chance it'll be a stopping train anyway.

For a same-day sailing, with Megatrain you've a choice of two convenient trains. For a next-day sailing you've a wider choice.

Paying full price does effectively mean you can just turn up at the station anytime & catch the next train within 15 minutes or so.

BTW, because mornings are peak-time for trains from Southampton to London, Megatrain tickets are only available for trains afer about 1pm - inconvenient for most cruisers.

And no Megatrain tickets available for sundays.

I'm curious about why one would chose the bus station rather than the cruise terminal for the National Express to Southampton. Seems counterintuitive, but I know there's an answer. Would this also to apply to Princess ships? I admit to being totally inexperienced in matters of public transportation!