Shoes for treadmill?

Blucruise25

Trying to cut down to just absolutely necessary shoes, but since I enjoy walking on a treadmill, I may have to toss in some tennis shoes as well, which I had planned not to take. Most places with treadmills require closed-toed shoes for using them. Is that true on Celebrity?

I just bought some easy spirit sneakers that are so light and very comfortable. I plan on taking these as they are so light and not bulky for my suitcase. I saw an article in one of the running magazines about how easy spirit reinvented the sneaker.

Pat

A number of years ago, a friend of mine ripped off a part of her big toe using a treadmill with no shoes. Not sure exactly how she did it - just sayin' it might be worth finding a pair of those lightweight shoes to bring with:)

There are partial leg amputations every year from the use of treadmills. I once wrote a three page letter to the CEO of NCL because they were letting people wear those open toe shower type shoes in the gym and people were taking them off to use the mats, so they were barefoot (disgusting!!!). I also saw children barefoot next to the mother on a treamill.....I almost lost my mind.

Treadmills are dangerous pieces of heavy equipment in the same way that escalators are. Someone was flown of an NCL ship a few years back after a bad accident on a treadmill. There is one type of she and one type only for treadmills.......SNEAKERS!!!!!!! That is it!!!!!!!

Glad I am not the only one who recognizes that some rules are there for a reason - safety. People use certain things (like escalators) regularly and don't stop to think about safety. I used to work for an insurance company that insured a major elevator company (the name would be familiar to most). Every year there were people who literally had arms and/or legs crushed by the doors. On occasion people were crushed to death. Think about that the next time you stick your hand into a closing elevator door to try to stop it because you are in a hurry! Yes, there is a mechanism that is supposed to sense movement and stop the closing. No, it does not always work. No need to be paranoid about living, but smart precautions make alot of sense when using these big mechanical items.

All right - you've convinced me! Tennis shoes it is! I've got some little lightweight sneakers - sort of a "Keds" style - that I'll take along. We're not in America, but in a "developing nation", so no shopping at Kohl's for me this month. And we're packing up to move - that is, put everything in storage - for several months while we are back in the U.S.. Unfortunately, my little sneakers are already in a box, sealed and labelled, but I will dig them out again! It's worth it to be able to use the treadmills on board ship, and use them safely!

And yes, Ando! Now we know who NOT to put in charge of the fitness room...! :rolleyes:

Glad I am not the only one who recognizes that some rules are there for a reason - safety. People use certain things (like escalators) regularly and don't stop to think about safety. I used to work for an insurance company that insured a major elevator company (the name would be familiar to most). Every year there were people who literally had arms and/or legs crushed by the doors. On occasion people were crushed to death. Think about that the next time you stick your hand into a closing elevator door to try to stop it because you are in a hurry! Yes, there is a mechanism that is supposed to sense movement and stop the closing. No, it does not always work. No need to be paranoid about living, but smart precautions make alot of sense when using these big mechanical items.

Otis.......

Guess what I do???? :)

I have sneakers by reputable companies that are all black and don't really look like sneakers, so they can be used either on formal night or in the gym. The only pair within range of the computer is Dr Scholl's. If you can find something similar it really cuts down on the number of shoes to pack.

I have sneakers by reputable companies that are all black and don't really look like sneakers, so they can be used either on formal night or in the gym. The only pair within range of the computer is Dr Scholl's. If you can find something similar it really cuts down on the number of shoes to pack.

Wow! That sounds like quite the pair of shoes! Just for future reference, do you have a picture or a link?

We were just walking through to have a look when we were asked to leave. My sandals are actually high end Ecco walking sandals. I did not try to use the treadmill. I actually would wear my Saucony's if I was going to get on it ( which I take on every trip)

No kidding - small world! This was over 30 years ago - hope things have improved but I'm guessing these things can still happen on occasion:)

My best friend's husband is a union elevator mechanic in Manhattan. He always warns us of the dangers of elevators, it is really no joke. There are dozens of deaths and serious amputations ever year because of elevator doors.

I used to throw myself in between the doors because I assumed they would bounce back...... I ges ass-u-me is the operative word.

I never ever put even my picky in the door now.........

I found a pair of Skechers yesterday that only weigh a few ounces, squash down to nothing and are machine washable. They are crazy comfortable, feel like slippers to wear, they have the same sole and padding as their running shoes but are more streamlined and cuter. I bought the bright blue ladies ones and will go back for the more conservative black ones when I prove to myself they are as good as I think they will be. Girl in the shop said they even fit her orthotics.

As soon as I saw them I thought they looked like the perfect cruise shoes!

Archived