how to walk from st. george ferry to tobacco bay--with pics!

elbodans

greetings!

because so many people want to do this--and should do this, it's such a lovely walk--i put together directions from the ferry dock in st. george to tobacco bay. i took photos last time i was there with the express purpose of using them in these directions. so--here you go. a photo description of how to get from the ferry dock to tobacco bay. i hope this helps someone. enjoy!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/09/26/bumming-around-bermuda-walking-from-st-georges-to-tobacco-bay/

Great Picturers. Love that walk. We always walk to the right and go to St. Catherine's also. It is a beautiful beach and a nice Fort on the point of the land. Then we continue going to our right and walk along the road through the "Farm Lands" of Bermuda. It is a beautiful walk and it takes about 2-3 hours depending on how often you stop and enjoy the views. There is a small Sea Glass Beach along the way that you can wade into the water and pick up colored Sea Glass. Then, just before you walk back into St. George, you pass the Cut in St. George Bay that the cruise ship use to go through when they were smaller and docked there. Usually, along the way, you can chat with the local residents. They love to ask where you are from and wonder why you don't live in "Beautiful Bermuda."

Great Picturers. Love that walk. We always walk to the right and go to St. Catherine's also. It is a beautiful beach and a nice Fort on the point of the land. Then we continue going to our right and walk along the road through the "Farm Lands" of Bermuda. It is a beautiful walk and it takes about 2-3 hours depending on how often you stop and enjoy the views. There is a small Sea Glass Beach along the way that you can wade into the water and pick up colored Sea Glass. Then, just before you walk back into St. George, you pass the Cut in St. George Bay that the cruise ship use to go through when they were smaller and docked there. Usually, along the way, you can chat with the local residents. They love to ask where you are from and wonder why you don't live in "Beautiful Bermuda."

We do the same walk.

One resident we talked to wanted to live in Pennsylvania, and in the general area where we live.:D

i'll have to do your 'extended' walk next time i return! which, hopefully, will be sometime in the next few months. i love that i can sail out of NYC to bermuda. it's the most relaxing vacation ever.

and yes, that is a good question--why DON'T i live in beautiful bermuda? ;)

We do the same walk.

One resident we talked to wanted to live in Pennsylvania, and in the general area where we live.:D

that's too funny! i live in PA too--in the lehigh valley, which is about an hour north of philly. it IS beautiful here. but i guess i take that for granted, as i've lived here all my life. but the more i travel (to equally beautiful places, to be fair) the more i realize how lovely my home really is, too.

though it wouldn't kill PA to have a turquoise blue beach somewhere. ha!

Not sure any of us could afford to live in Bermuda. That cost of living would kill my savings in a short time. You have to be able to prove your income before you can even begin looking for a house on Bermuda. Then the prices would kill you before you ever found one. Guess it is just best to keep Bermuda in our mind as the most beautiful place on earth. I would go there once a month if I could find a way to do it. I love the cruises to Bermuda just because you get to stay there for three days. As you can see my posting, we are leaving in just 302 days for another three day stay. Truely counting the days.

i'll have to do your 'extended' walk next time i return! which, hopefully, will be sometime in the next few months. i love that i can sail out of NYC to bermuda. it's the most relaxing vacation ever.

and yes, that is a good question--why DON'T i live in beautiful bermuda?

;)

Why not? It's a difficult process like maybe marrying a Bermudian and then having to wait 10 years to apply for citizenship, or maybe having mucho mega bucks to buy one of the few houses that can be owned by non-Bermudian. They make it quite difficult which is fine by me so Bermuda does not get overcrowded and lose it's uniqueness.:)

that's too funny! i live in PA too--in the lehigh valley, which is about an hour north of philly. it IS beautiful here. but i guess i take that for granted, as i've lived here all my life. but the more i travel (to equally beautiful places, to be fair) the more i realize how lovely my home really is, too.

Ah ha...the Lehigh Wally.:D My MIL was born in Egypt and lived in Trexlertown.

Edited by iheartbda

;)

Why not? It's a difficult process like maybe marrying a Bermudian and then having to wait 10 years to apply for citizenship, or maybe having mucho mega bucks to buy one of the few houses that can be owned by non-Bermudian. They make it quite difficult which is fine by me so Bermuda does not get overcrowded and lose it's uniqueness.:)

Ah ha...the Lehigh Wally.:D My MIL was born in Egypt and lived in Trexlertown.

yeah--after his second visit with his family (years and years ago) my husband (who i did not even know at the time) looked into moving there. it just isn't possible. ah well.

i'm just up the road from trexlertown. :p

Great directions for those looking to make the walk from St. Georges; most folks don't realize how easy it is to get around on those old lanes. On our Trip 7 in June, we somehow managed to leave all our cash on the ship, so we decided to take the walk instead of being lazy; a lovely trip, and well worth it - but it is a great suggestion to stay in the shade!

Oops!!! I forgot one thing. If you do the walk, make sure you take water with you. You get pretty thirsty out there walking around the island.

Yes, you do get thirsty and if you finish your water like we did, there is a woman who sells bottled water at a good price right across the street from the unfinished church. It tasted delicious!!

greetings!

because so many people want to do this--and should do this, it's such a lovely walk--i put together directions from the ferry dock in st. george to tobacco bay. i took photos last time i was there with the express purpose of using them in these directions. so--here you go. a photo description of how to get from the ferry dock to tobacco bay. i hope this helps someone. enjoy!

Hi Tracy, so happy to see your post. However, when you posted it we had already left on the 23rd. Would have been great to have - so I printed it out for next year.

You so inspired us with your historical interest when we met you on our Gem to Bermuda cruise last year, we did the Bermuda National Trust (Tucker House, Verdmont, Rogues & Runners) this year and really enjoyed it. Our plans were to walk to Tobacco Bay in the afternoon but this big black storm cloud ended that :(.

So we will give it a try next time - with directions in hand. Thanks again.

elbodens

I'm all for a turquoise beach in PA. But alas, the closest thing to that for us would be the wave pool in a waterpark. Certainly no turqoise water in the Susquehanna River.

Hi Tracy, so happy to see your post. However, when you posted it we had already left on the 23rd. Would have been great to have - so I printed it out for next year.

You so inspired us with your historical interest when we met you on our Gem to Bermuda cruise last year, we did the Bermuda National Trust (Tucker House, Verdmont, Rogues & Runners) this year and really enjoyed it. Our plans were to walk to Tobacco Bay in the afternoon but this big black storm cloud ended that :(.

So we will give it a try next time - with directions in hand. Thanks again.

ooops--sorry it was too late to help you. but it seems the weather gods conspired to keep you away, anyway.

glad i motivated you to to the bermuda national trust thing--that's on my list for next time. i don't usually repeat destinations, but i so love bermuda. and with the new ncl ship sailing there next summer, i hope to return. perhaps our paths will cross again! :D

Would this be considered a wheelchair accessible walk?

Thank you.

um if you dont mind walking up and down the 1 hill to the unfinished church, and then back up another hill after the day at the beach, yes, otherwise not really.

The walk was nice, thanks to the original poster. Very easy directions to follow. We definitely enjoyed our time at the beach once we got there

• 2 years later...
greetings!

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2012/09/26/bumming-around-bermuda-walking-from-st-georges-to-tobacco-bay/

I know this is an old thread, but it fits my needs. . .

Thank you everyone for answering my sometimes redundant questions. This time I'm cruising with an 80 year old and 85 year old so I need to tweak the "tried and true". I actually searched something and found my own reply from 2003! hahaha

Anyways, Is this walking route still the same to Tobacco? I figured if we can't find two cabs, some of us can walk it. . .I know I have done so in the past.

We plan on catching 9:30 a.m. ferry from Dockyard to St. George, watch the activities and shop and then proceed to Tobacco. Where do we find the cabs?

Also, will there be cabs waiting at Tobacco Bay to bring us back to the ferry? I don't mind paying for a regular fare cab, can't worry about that new shuttle that might or not be in operation.

The 85 can walk but distances and heat would be taxing on her health. I don't want to have her walk unnecessary distances if it can be avoided.

Thank you everyone for answering my sometimes redundant questions. This time I'm cruising with an 80 year old and 85 year old so I need to tweak the "tried and true". I actually searched something and found my own reply from 2003! hahaha

Anyways, Is this walking route still the same to Tobacco? I figured if we can't find two cabs, some of us can walk it. . .I know I have done so in the past.

We plan on catching 9:30 a.m. ferry from Dockyard to St. George, watch the activities and shop and then proceed to Tobacco. Where do we find the cabs?

Also, will there be cabs waiting at Tobacco Bay to bring us back to the ferry? I don't mind paying for a regular fare cab, can't worry about that new shuttle that might or not be in operation.

The 85 can walk but distances and heat would be taxing on her health. I don't want to have her walk unnecessary distances if it can be avoided.

The start of the walking route is not the same as the ferry no longer docks in the same place. It used to dock very close to Kings Square, but now the ferry dock is at Penno's Wharf, a longer distance from Kings Square, and in the opposite relative direction from Kings Square. There may be taxis that meet the ferry at Penno's, but Kings Square is the place where it taxis often wait for passengers.

If there aren't taxis at Tobacco Bay (and there may not be) I'm reasonably sure the operators of the concession stand will call a taxi dispatch company for you.

In any event i would not recommend attempting the walk to Tobacco Bay with an 85 year old. Based on your comment, I'm not sure if they would be able to do the walk from Penno's to Kings Square in the heat.

Edited by njhorseman

When I was there in June there were several taxis waiting at Pennos Wharf which is now the ferry terminal. But if you decide to walk to the Square for a taxi do not take the first left up the hill! That is a longer walk. Keep walking to the end and turn left on the waterfront road. That road which has a gas station on it then splits to the right on to Water Street which leads to the town square.

At Tobacco Bay they are taxis coming and going. Sometimes they may be waiting. If there are none there do as njhorseman suggests and have them call for one.

Edited by Charles4515