Flat Iron Steak?

ctdahlquist

Here's some good info on where Flat Iron Steak came from........

The Flat Iron Steak

Is it really the best cut of Beef?

By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide

The Flat Iron Steak (also know as a Top Blade Steak), now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus was developed by teams at the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. The problem presented to these researchers was what to do with a waste cut of beef from the shoulder of the cow. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle.

So, after developing a method for cutting and presenting this steak, these friendly scientists have offered to us an amazing cut of beef. More than that, they have developed a nearly perfect steak for the grill. The Flat Iron (supposedly named because it looks like an old fashioned metal flat iron) is uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape. The only variation is the cut into the middle of the steak where the connective tissues have been removed.

Like any non-loin steak, the Flat Iron benefits from marinating and is best if it isn't cooked too well beyond medium. Depending on the particular cut you purchase, you might find it more convenient to cut the Flat Iron steak in half because of the center cut through the middle. This steak has a deep, rich flavor which makes it perfect not only on its own, but also as meat for many dishes.

i have had the flat iron steak at least once on all of my cruise. only once was it not so good. that doesn't mean i couldn't eat it...it just means it wasn't darn near perfect.

i have no complaints about the food on board....as long as i get to have my warm chocolate melting cake with two scoops of vanilla ice cream nobody gets hurt lol.

I think that some people are negative about it because it represents a change. Unless we are open to new ideas and new ways of thinking, change can be threatening.

No, it just wasn't very good. We had our first Carnival Cruise this year and the food overall was just OK. And the flat iron steak was actually pretty awful.

On the Fascination a few cruises back, my then 19 yr old daughter and her friend ordered the Flat Iron Steak 4 out of 5 nights in the MDR. They really liked it. And my daughter's friend is extremely picky with steak, as her grandfather has a cattle farm and she knows good steak.

i ahve had the flat iron steak many times and it is very good. I do not know why so many people are negative about it. Maybe its the name? Flat Iron kinda sounds like a paper thin steak. Its not though. It is very good.

I was one of the people negative about the flat iron steak because it was terrible!. The steak had no taste and it was tough and chewy. And that was after having it on 2 different cruises. The first cruise it was just bad but I had other things to eat so I let it pass. I tried it on our second cruise on a different ship and it was worst than the first time. I didn't expect Ruth or Morton's but it was not even close to an Outback steak.

So, in anticipation of my 12/16 cruise on the Glory, I've been back on Cruise Critic to help prepare for my vacation. I've been reading all kinds of comments from unhappy Carnival cruisers about everything from loyalty programs to cuts of beef now on the menu. There are quite a few comments out there disparaging something called Flat Iron Steak.

I have only limited experience with this cut; I've ordered it a couple of times as a very nice French restaurant in my town. Having seen it for sale at the grocery store this weekend, I thought I'd give it a go on the grill.

Well, after marinating the steak for about an hour and grilling to medium, I enjoyed one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had! It was very juicy, quite tender, and the flavor was outstanding. I can guarantee that in a blind tasting, 99% of all tasters would not know the difference between Flat Iron and some other cut of steak.

So, I'm looking forward to ordering this steak when I'm aboard the Glory in December.

I'm also including some information found on the internet: http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm

Although I find the occasional glance at Cruise Critic to be fun, I am not telling my travel companions about this site. Those without prior cruise or Carnival experience would definitely be frightened by all of the "horrors" they are about to experience (sort of like being sent to the Gulag for a week!). I want them to go with an open mind and form their own impressions.

I am far from a meat expert. My experience with the flat iron steak is that it has wonderful flavor but is tuff if overcooked. One person in our group ordered it medium well and it was like shoe leather. Another ordered it medium to medium rare and it was tender and delicious. These were served the same night at the same table in the dining room and by appearances were the same cut of meat other than the degree of cooking. So I would suggest that those who like their meat well done should probably go get a more tender cut of steak in the steakhouse. I actually thought the flavor of the flat iron steak was better than a filet.

Well now I have to try the flat iron steak. Never sounded good and not because only of the CC boards. I'm new to CC and learned quick if your week minded you should not be on here regularly. It's kind of like boot camp if you know what to expect you will handle it a lot better. Humanity is humanity, don't take it personally.

Archived