Flat Iron Steak?

ctdahlquist

So, in anticipation of my 12/16 cruise on the Glory, I've been back on Cruise Critic to help prepare for my vacation. I've been reading all kinds of comments from unhappy Carnival cruisers about everything from loyalty programs to cuts of beef now on the menu. There are quite a few comments out there disparaging something called Flat Iron Steak.

I have only limited experience with this cut; I've ordered it a couple of times as a very nice French restaurant in my town. Having seen it for sale at the grocery store this weekend, I thought I'd give it a go on the grill.

Well, after marinating the steak for about an hour and grilling to medium, I enjoyed one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had! It was very juicy, quite tender, and the flavor was outstanding. I can guarantee that in a blind tasting, 99% of all tasters would not know the difference between Flat Iron and some other cut of steak.

So, I'm looking forward to ordering this steak when I'm aboard the Glory in December.

I'm also including some information found on the internet: http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm

Although I find the occasional glance at Cruise Critic to be fun, I am not telling my travel companions about this site. Those without prior cruise or Carnival experience would definitely be frightened by all of the "horrors" they are about to experience (sort of like being sent to the Gulag for a week!). I want them to go with an open mind and form their own impressions.

I have found the flat iron steak to be quiet tasty,

and I agree with you about not telling your friends about this site,

if I had been on here "before" I cruised I would have never tried it... well in 16 more days I will be on #10 and looking forward to many many more.

So, in anticipation of my 12/16 cruise on the Glory, I've been back on Cruise Critic to help prepare for my vacation. I've been reading all kinds of comments from unhappy Carnival cruisers about everything from loyalty programs to cuts of beef now on the menu. There are quite a few comments out there disparaging something called Flat Iron Steak.

I have only limited experience with this cut; I've ordered it a couple of times as a very nice French restaurant in my town. Having seen it for sale at the grocery store this weekend, I thought I'd give it a go on the grill.

Well, after marinating the steak for about an hour and grilling to medium, I enjoyed one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had! It was very juicy, quite tender, and the flavor was outstanding. I can guarantee that in a blind tasting, 99% of all tasters would not know the difference between Flat Iron and some other cut of steak.

So, I'm looking forward to ordering this steak when I'm aboard the Glory in December.

I'm also including some information found on the internet: http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm

Although I find the occasional glance at Cruise Critic to be fun, I am not telling my travel companions about this site. Those without prior cruise or Carnival experience would definitely be frightened by all of the "horrors" they are about to experience (sort of like being sent to the Gulag for a week!). I want them to go with an open mind and form their own impressions.

Marinating tough steaks is why you do it. Even spices used to be used to cover up rancid meat idays gone by.

I prefer a tender cut not needing marinating.

I have found the flat iron steak to be quiet tasty,

and I agree with you about not telling your friends about this site,

if I had been on here "before" I cruised I would have never tried it... well in 16 more days I will be on #10 and looking forward to many many more.

Totally agree with you on both!

I almost cancel my first cruise to Hawaii due to all the "bad reviews" from people. I'm so glad we went...it was a wonderful cruise. One of our favorites!

i ahve had the flat iron steak many times and it is very good. I do not know why so many people are negative about it. Maybe its the name? Flat Iron kinda sounds like a paper thin steak. Its not though. It is very good.

I think that some people are negative about it because it represents a change. Unless we are open to new ideas and new ways of thinking, change can be threatening.

flat iron i think is the same as skirt steak which used to be called butchers cut because the butchers knew how good they were kept to themselfs great medium rare, and cut at angle against the grain

I think you mean butlers steak, and it's nothing but tough unless you fix it.

Love it!!!

Love it!!!

i agree i look to these boards as part of the excitement of planning my upcoming criuse. all 5 have been great and i am still looking forward to number 6 in nov.

Had the flat iron steak twice on the carnival breeze on our cruise two weeks ago. Is it filet mignon? No. Was it juicy and tender and cooked perfectly both times? Yes. I was hesitant to order it with all the negative talk about it here, but, I took a chance with it and I am glad I did.

In my experience with flatiron steaks on Carnival, if you get a steak that's of decent thickness (1/2 inch or more) cooked medium rare, you'll usually have a good experience. I have had flatiron steaks that were cut too thin and wound up being cooked medium well or well done. They were very tough. At home if I buy flatiron or skirt steaks it's usually to marinate then grill for fajitas.

In my experience with flatiron steaks on Carnival, if you get a steak that's of decent thickness (1/2 inch or more) cooked medium rare, you'll usually have a good experience. I have had flatiron steaks that were cut too thin and wound up being cooked medium well or well done. They were very tough. At home if I buy flatiron or skirt steaks it's usually to marinate then grill for fajitas.

perfect way to cook it medium rare and cut on the bias across the grain great use for it also fajitas

I don't eat steak. I just can't seem to force myself to swallow it, something about the texture I think. But DH loves it and he said the flat iron steak he had on the Glory last year was wonderful and tasted very good. I never told him what people were saying about it on CC.

Archived