Question on the nikon D-3200

mrbill62

The upgrade / GAS cycle is a terible one. No question that the D3200 or D3100 are huge upgrades from the D60.

Both offer signficantly improved sensors, much improved focus modules, better low light performance and a lot more pixels, and VIDEO. The real question is what is your current camera not delivering for you. Of course just getting something new is also very cool...

I disagree, the d60 to d3200 isn't much of an upgrade in terms as upgrades go. They are both entry level cameras. Yes, it has video and other crap that I wouldn't use on a camera. An upgrade would be a d5100. It's got a bigger, beefier body, and better sensor. Or a D90 or D7000 with internal focus motor, allowing you to use old AF lenses that don't have the built in motor.

I disagree, the d60 to d3200 isn't much of an upgrade in terms as upgrades go. They are both entry level cameras. Yes, it has video and other crap that I wouldn't use on a camera. An upgrade would be a d5100. It's got a bigger, beefier body, and better sensor. Or a D90 or D7000 with internal focus motor, allowing you to use old AF lenses that don't have the built in motor.

Not sure why the D3200 sensor would be referred to as markedly inferior to the D5100...

p1153828120.jpg

Seems to be pretty close with the color rendition and overall score going to the D3200 and as chipmaster said, both are a huge step up over the old 10MP CCD in the D60.

I personally don't use the video on my cameras to any extent and often forget that it is there. That said, it certainly isn't crap. Even entry-level DSLRs like the D3200 and especially step-up cameras like the D5100 can shoot excellent full-hd video that relieves many travelers from the burden of carrying a separate video camera. The lack of the body-mounted AF motor would be a negative if you have a bag full of old Nikkor AF-D glass. If you are just starting out, the newer AF-S lenses with the built-in AF motors (and many with optical stabilization) would be preferable to all but the most expensive or specialized older models. Bigger and beefier is good, but unless you are wrestling on the sidelines with the press corps, chasing Alec Baldwin or banging through crowds at a wedding reception, it may not be a positive trade-off for folks wanting a compact, easy to use travel camera.

Don't diss the entry-level! :D

My 2¢....

Dave

The D5100 is still an entry level camera. It has a few more features perhaps, but not to warrant the price.

If you want to upgrade your D60, in my view, it should either be that D3200 or D7000. Although with the recent price drop in the D5100, I suppose it is a worthy 3rd choice.

But you should realize that both D3xxx and D5xxx cameras are entry level, and do not have advanced features as in-camera focus motors, CLS commander capability, FP high-speed sync, or a host of other features that the advanced cameras have (essentially D90 and above).

The D5100 is still an entry level camera. It has a few more features perhaps, but not to warrant the price.

If you want to upgrade your D60, in my view, it should either be that D3200 or D7000. Although with the recent price drop in the D5100, I suppose it is a worthy 3rd choice.

Two years ago, I upgraded from my beloved D50 to a D7000. At the time, the D7000 was way more camera than I could fully use, if you know what I mean. In the past two years, I feel as though I have really grown into it; I have learned so much, and am still learning more. I love this camera.

Recently, I bought the D5100 as a back up body -- the price had really dropped, and it has the same sensor as the D7000. I haven't used it that much yet, but I do miss the ease of being able to change various settings (e.g., shutter speed, aperture) merely by spinning the command or subcommand dials. These capablities do exist on the D5100, of course, but they must be done via the on-screen commands. I suppose if that's what you get used to doing, it's not a problem. It seems to take good pictures, but definitely has a less "sturdy" build than the D7000. It's also only about half the price, and it's lighter.... I would certainly put it in the mix of options (at the lower price).

All are excellent choices as the new sensors blow the old D50/60 ones out of the water. It will allow you to got much better indoor and low light images.

The big issue is in-camera motor, but if you only have the 18-200 it will not be an issue!

All are excellent choices as the new sensors blow the old D50/60 ones out of the water. It will allow you to got much better indoor and low light images.

The big issue is in-camera motor, but if you only have the 18-200 it will not be an issue!

Yes, I have to believe that the biggest market for the D3200 and D5100 are folks who don't have a lot of older lenses around and will be using

new AF-S lenses (such as the one you mention), so there's no problem.

One thing you have to be sure of is whether or not you wish to buy any new AF lenses, as Nikon still sells at least 20 of them in their latest catalog; along with Tokina you can add a few more.

Here is an example. You can buy the excellent Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 for about $1,200. The Nikon AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 on the other hand costs $2,400.

While the focusing is a bit faster on the AF-S, as well as it has VR, I have the AF 80-200, and the autofocus is still fast enough in any situation I have used it in.

So if you ever want a professional quality zoom telephoto/sports lens (which means a f/2.8), you can buy a D7000 and AF 80-200 f/2.8 for a lot less than a D5100 and AF-S 70-200 f/2.8.

So it really all comes down to your budget - so all I am saying is to think ahead - say 5 years ahead - and see where you want to be.

The upgrade / GAS cycle is a terible one. No question that the D3200 or D3100 are huge upgrades from the D60.

Both offer signficantly improved sensors, much improved focus modules, better low light performance and a lot more pixels, and VIDEO. The real question is what is your current camera not delivering for you. Of course just getting something new is also very cool...

CORRECT

I personally would not consider any Nikon body w/o a motor.

The 80-200 and 85f1.8 are 2 of the best deals for glass. There are also many more, all can be found on eBay or thru KEH.

If you need lenses that have BIM lets not forget Tamron, Sigma as well :D

Frankly there is sometimes too much snobbery with old nikon D glass. Todays modern CAD, manufacturing in cheaper eastern countries with superior coatings and techniques means many offbrand 2.8 zoom give many a old nikon classic a run for the money.

One thing you have to be sure of is whether or not you wish to buy any new AF lenses, as Nikon still sells at least 20 of them in their latest catalog; along with Tokina you can add a few more.

Here is an example. You can buy the excellent Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 for about $1,200. The Nikon AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 on the other hand costs $2,400.

While the focusing is a bit faster on the AF-S, as well as it has VR, I have the AF 80-200, and the autofocus is still fast enough in any situation I have used it in.

So if you ever want a professional quality zoom telephoto/sports lens (which means a f/2.8), you can buy a D7000 and AF 80-200 f/2.8 for a lot less than a D5100 and AF-S 70-200 f/2.8.

So it really all comes down to your budget - so all I am saying is to think ahead - say 5 years ahead - and see where you want to be.

The D glass that is still manufactured has for the most part been updated. For instance the 80-200 has ED coatings.

And it is not snobbery when the resale value of the Nikon glass is much higher than Sigma or Tamron.

The D glass that is still manufactured has for the most part been updated. For instance the 80-200 has ED coatings.

And it is not snobbery when the resale value of the Nikon glass is much higher than Sigma or Tamron.

CORRECT again

I recently sold 6 lenses to justify buying into the new Fuji X system.

The 3 "old" Nikon D lenses sold for 90 percent of the original purchase price.

The 2 Tokinas sold for 75 percent and the Tamron for 70 percent.

Sigma has high QC issues.

Tamron makes a low price f2.8 lens with very good IQ.

Tokina makes a medium price high quality lens. The build rivals Nikons.

Three of my lenses are Tokina, and they do rival Nikon lenses.

But unfortunately most (but not all) of Tokina Nikon mount lenses will not autofocus on a D3200 as they require an in-body focus motor in the camera as they use the older jackscrew focusing system.

There are only two currently made Tokina lenses that will focus on a D3200 if I recall (that have an in-lens focus motor). They are marked "DXII" (or DX 2).

One is the 12-24mm f/4 DX2 and the second is the 11-16mm f/2.8 DX2, however, I don't know if the latter is available yet or not. But both lenses are excellent super-wide angle lenses that would autofocus on the D3200. On the other hand, the DoF at 11mm is so wide, that if your focus point is a few feet from the camera, you almost don't have to focus the lens anyway.

I have the 11-16mm f/2.8 for my D90.

Not sure why the D3200 sensor would be referred to as markedly inferior to the D5100... Don't diss the entry-level! My 2¢.... Dave

Appreciate the great details and backup substance provided by Dave and others. Making a camera more complicated is not always good and/or "best". There are some legitimate differences for how Nikon makes the camera bodies on the entry-level versus the higher-end models. BUT, many of the "fancy features" can be time-consuming to figure out and maybe seldom, if ever, used in most cases. Much depends on your real needs and practical uses.

I have been very pleased by what my Nikon D3100 has done for me in the past two years since I bought it. Glad to see Nikon making continued improvements. Have looked at the D7000 and it is interesting. But, is it worth the added cost? It's nice to have choices and options. I have had Nikon equipment since the late 1960's. Super like their quality and innovation. BUT, too much techno snobbery can be a little dangerous.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,229 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Recently, I bought the D5100 as a back up body -- the price had really dropped, and it has the same sensor as the D7000. I haven't used it that much yet, but I do miss the ease of being able to change various settings (e.g., shutter speed, aperture) merely by spinning the command or subcommand dials. These capablities do exist on the D5100, of course, but they must be done via the on-screen commands. I suppose if that's what you get used to doing, it's not a problem. It seems to take good pictures, but definitely has a less "sturdy" build than the D7000. It's also only about half the price, and it's lighter.... I would certainly put it in the mix of options (at the lower price).

the simple way on the D5100 is to put it in either A or S mode and spin the command dial to your preferred setting. So you dont have to jump into the screen. I use it all the time

the simple way on the D5100 is to put it in either A or S mode and spin the command dial to your preferred setting. So you dont have to jump into the screen. I use it all the time

Yes, thanks,you're correct of course; I haven't used this body much yet! I should have said you must go to the screen to change the ISO, WB, etc. -- things for which there are buttons on the D7000. Not deal breakers for the D5100 of course, I was merely commenting on some differences. Thanks!

Treat yourself to a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 or Nikon 85 F1.8 lens. They will work fine with the D7000 and your photos will knock your socks off.

Seriously, consider buying a D7000 book off amazon, it's $15-20 well spent.

Good luck and enjoy........

Archived