Recent Pearl cruisers...tell me about your bed!

coka

LOL...a strange request, huh? Even so, I am curious. One of the things we remember most about the Pearl is the fantastic bedding. When freestyle 2.0 upgrades came about years ago the Pearl got not only pillow top mattresses but mattress toppers in addition. Having sailed in various categories from inside to suite on the Pearl, they all had the toppers on the beds no matter the category. I am not referring to an egg crate nor piece of foam. I remember they were thin foam or latex toppers that had protected covers on them.

Does anyone know if the Pearl in particular still has them? If not, tell me about your bed on the Pearl anyway...good or bad.

Coka

LOL...a strange request, huh? Even so, I am curious. One of the things we remember most about the Pearl is the fantastic bedding. When freestyle 2.0 upgrades came about years ago the Pearl got not only pillow top mattresses but mattress toppers in addition. Having sailed in various categories from inside to suite on the Pearl, they all had the toppers on the beds no matter the category. I am not referring to an egg crate nor piece of foam. I remember they were thin foam or latex toppers that had protected covers on them.

Does anyone know if the Pearl in particular still has them? If not, tell me about your bed on the Pearl anyway...good or bad.

Coka

We were in a Garden Villa on the Pearl and had a Matermoll (sp?) mattress made especially for the cruise line (so the Butler, Room Steward and Hotel Director informed us). Best mattress we ever slept on and got the best night's sleep on.

Coka

Coka, not a strange request at all, I could be asking the same!

I have been diagnosed as having factoid arthritis in my lumber region (heredity unfortunately) so need special bed mattress. Our bed is kinda tempuredic and doesn't give me pain.

I find Marriott hotels (JW, regular, Courtyard and new Fairfield Inn) have beds ideal for my needs.

As for NCL ships, I found Pearl and Jade beds best for me and they were pre 2.0!!! You have been on Gem - aren't they the same as Pearl?

The worst are on Spirit and Sun. The Epic and Star (new SJ) aren't good enough for me - had to ask for egg-crate.

This time we're embarking on Epic for 17 day TA, we're investing in buying a 2" memory foam for us to take on holiday so I can sleep well. It will cost us extra baggage each time we travel but ... I gotta sleep well.

I know a lot of people do find most bedding very comfortable but I'm not like most people unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies so far. In the first few years of Gem, she had the toppers too. Last few sailings last few years not (these were in balconies). I have sailed Epic, Star, Gem, Dawn, Jewel since sailing Pearl and no go on the comfy matter moll toppers on the beds. They had egg crate and big foam things but still not the kind I found in Pearl's inside, balcony, mini-suite and penthouse suite the four times I sailed her. My last Pearl sailing was in 2010 so I am curious if the toppers are still around. Another thread asked posters to use smileys to show how they felt about their next Norwegian cruise and I wanted to post a sleeping smiley. Now I am looking for a questionable sleeping smiley! Lol

coka

• 3 months later...
Coka, not a strange request at all, I could be asking the same!

I have been diagnosed as having factoid arthritis in my lumber region (heredity unfortunately) so need special bed mattress. Our bed is kinda tempuredic and doesn't give me pain.

Wood-n't you know it? But in my experience, NCL beds will Tree-t you just fine.

Stephen

Wood-n't you know it? But in my experience, NCL beds will Tree-t you just fine.

Stephen

NCL ships have always given me a good nights rest...until our recent STAR cruise. They were by far the worse beds ever! Very hard and just uncomfortable. Others on the ship and my roll call agreed too. We even had someone in the mini-family-suite and they complained about the beds. :(

I agree with everything said in favour of he beds so far - except for one exception, the second bedroom in the 2-bed family suite rooms! The convertible bed in the second bedroom is like sleeping on concrete. Our adult daughter had the egg-crate doubled and even then it was hard, so we ended up taking the mattress out of the main cabin bed-settee on top before it became anything like comfortable.

It is weird to say the least that NCL take so much trouble to have fabulously comfortable beds in the main room and then let themselves down with a terrible bed in that second bedroom.

Heck, if you want some great night's sleep book the Marriott for a couple of days then get on the Pearl. ;)

Unfortunately it depends on which Marriott you're at. DH & I slept at a Marriott in Portland, OR last night and it was NOT a great bed. Felt like a trampoline with a sink hole in the middle. As with any sleeping experience YMMV.

As for the Pearl, I won't get to try her out until September, but I'm hoping for the great sleeping experience you are all describing!

Unfortunately it depends on which Marriott you're at. DH & I slept at a Marriott in Portland, OR last night and it was NOT a great bed. Felt like a trampoline with a sink hole in the middle. As with any sleeping experience YMMV.

As for the Pearl, I won't get to try her out until September, but I'm hoping for the great sleeping experience you are all describing!

I agree. DH didn't like the bed at the Courtyard MIA, but it didn't bother me.

We're needing a new mattress at home. Wish now I knew what kind of mattresses (brand and type or maybe specific number) were in the mini-suites on Pearl. Never thought to look.

Well I should give an update! The bed was just as comfy as I remembered! The mattresses are still Mattermoll (an Italian company) and the awesome toppers were on top of the pillow top. I think the style is their hotel style. Not sure if available to general public but I remember years so checking out their website.

Even more exciting for future cruisers, the mattresses are all brand new again, as told by our cabin steward during Thanksgiving week sailing. He said they were all changed the week before. This was also verified by OceanDreams when she did the behind the scenes tour.

I always look at the bedding and although the topper might not have been brand new, I agree the mattress was.

Coka

We're needing a new mattress at home. Wish now I knew what kind of mattresses (brand and type or maybe specific number) were in the mini-suites on Pearl. Never thought to look.

This information was posted about a year or two ago. If you do a search, you might be able to find it. I do remember everyone talking about it and it was posted...beware, from what I can remember it was E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E!!

...The worst are on Spirit and Sun. The Epic and Star (new SJ) aren't good enough for me - had to ask for egg-crate...

I agree about the beds in the Star SJ Suites - positively awful! We were very disappointed to discover that these Suites were not equipped with the signature "Bliss" bed, and even after adding the eggcrate topper the bed was still among the most uncomfortable we've ever experienced. I cannot imagine why NCL chose not to furnish these with the Bliss collection. We loved everything else about that suite, but will never book an SJ again because of that bed. :(

Archived