Wine selection of ... one. It's misleading.

Balloon Man

Boarded Nautica today in Dover. Went to Reception and asked what wines were included in the $30 dollar wine with meals package? Was shown the wine-by-the-glass list and told "All except the expensive champagne". So bought two packages (my wife likes her white wine), went up to The Terrace, had a couple of glasses each from that list; handed over our suite card (which had been upgraded by Reception) and was told "Sorry, the package only includes house wines". :mad:

Back to Reception, who admitted they had got it wrong and refunded my payment. Reception agreed that the wording for the package is misleading - it is called a "House" package but does suggest a selection of wines is available. The selection is one white and one red that change day-by-day, so how can anybody possibly know if they are going to like the wines on offer?

Unless you are prepared to drink anything I suggest you avoid this misleading package.

Other than that the ship is great - smaller than Marina, but we like the R ships. Amazingly there is no socket in the bathroom (at least on deck 8) for shavers.

Will report further later in the cruise.

We had the prestige package on our August Regatta cruise ($49.99 per day). It included all wines by the glass (no bottles) and included the expensive champagne. It was a selection of about 5 to 6 different wines for both whites and reds. We found them to be very good. It also included all mixed drinks.

We had the prestige package on our just-completed Marina cruise. It included everything on the bar menu except the Louis XIII cognac (sells at $125 a glass), any specialty beers that are brought on board or the sakes in Red Ginger.

We could imbibe in the Perrier-Jouet champagne, at $15 a glass, and the Taylor Fladgate port, at $19 a glass. The wines range from $8 to $12 a glass, with 6-8 types available in whites and reds. There are also some more expensive tequilas and scotches you can try.

Speaking of the Louis XIII cognac, we did a tour at Remy Martin on this cruise. That particular cognac sells for €2000 or more for a 750 ml bottle. Our guide at the distillery said that $125 a glass (probably a tiny shot) is a bargain.

We had the prestige package on our August Regatta cruise ($49.99 per day). It included all wines by the glass (no bottles) and included the expensive champagne. It was a selection of about 5 to 6 different wines for both whites and reds. We found them to be very good. It also included all mixed drinks.

Hi Kcanada

What included Champagnes were being served?

Thanks

Rich

Check my response, which probably was posted at the same time as yours - the most expensive champagne was the Perrier-Jouet, at $15 a glass. There were a few other sparkling wines/champagnes that were less expensive. There is also a thread running around recently that i believe has more detail from the bar menu.

The Prestige package does allow a choice of all the wines by the glass; the $30 package doesn't - but the words to promote both packages are the same. Under UK law this would be misleading. I doubt Oceania meant to mislead - even the Reception staff were confused. But I'm still not happy. However if they'd like to send a few bottles up to 8049 ... Just about to set sail from Honfleur. More later.

... Reception agreed that the wording for the package is misleading - it is called a "House" package but does suggest a selection of wines is available. The selection is one white and one red that change day-by-day, so how can anybody possibly know if they are going to like the wines on offer?...
Balloon Man, I really appreciate this info. We recently received our docs for an upcoming Riviera cruise and were planning to purchase the House Select Package based on the description in our cruise docs:

HOUSE SELECT WINE & BEER

This package includes beer* and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or though room service.*

* Available with meals only.

That description wouldn't lead me to believe that a selection of wines by the glass would be literally a single white and a single red. Thanks for the heads-up.

That description wouldn't lead me to believe that a selection of wines by the glass would be literally a single white and a single red.

That is not exactly correct either. As as it was explained to me, in great detail today, the House Select Package includes Red, Rose, White, Dessert & Port Wines.

The Prestige Package offers selections within those categories, but in the Select Package one orders by type.

I have come to the conclusion that Oceania is the Audi Q3 of the Cruiseline Industry.

Have a look at the Audi Q3 website then go to the options.

http://www.audi.com.au/au/brand/en/models/q3/q3.html

They must be the only Car Company with options inside the options, and even more

worrying some options remove options from some of the other options :p

We had the wine package on our May Regatta cruise ($29.99 per day). It included all wines by the glass (no bottles) and included the expensive champagne. It was a selection of different wines for both whites and reds. We found them to be very good.

I have come to the conclusion that Oceania is the Audi Q3 of the Cruiseline Industry.

Have a look at the Audi Q3 website then go to the options.

http://www.audi.com.au/au/brand/en/models/q3/q3.html

They must be the only Car Company with options inside the options, and even more

worrying some options remove options from some of the other options :p

Your World...YOUR Way!

Jim and Stan: the difference between being told something - even in great detail - and actually experiencing it is what makes the reports on Cruise Critic so important. I experienced it while you are merely reporting what somebody else told you. And it seems they were wrong, or maybe that should be are wrong because things on Nautica changed just last night. Whether the management on Nautica realised the words were misleading or whether it was the power of Cruise Critic I do not know. But from today the $29.95 package has been extended to include all wines in the bar menu that are avilable by the glass during lunch and dinner. So thank you Oceania for listening: listening to the reasonable complaints of customers strengthens any brand.

Jim and Stan: the difference between being told something - even at great length - and experiencing it is what makes the reports on Cruise Critic so important. I experienced it while you are merely reporting what somebody else told you. And it seems they were wrong, or maybe that should be are wrong because things on Nautica changed just last night. Whether the management on Nautica realised the words were misleading or whether it was the power of Cruise Critic I do not know. But from today the $29.95 package has been extended to include all wines by the glass during lunch and dinner. So thank you Oceania for listening: listening to the reasonable complaints of customers strengthens any brand.

They probably got a memo from the THE BOSS who reads everything here ;)

Lyn

... things on Nautica changed just last night. Whether the management on Nautica realised the words were misleading or whether it was the power of Cruise Critic I do not know. But from today the $29.95 package has been extended to include all wines in the bar menu that are avilable by the glass during lunch and dinner...
Balloon Man, thanks for this news! I do hope your good fortune with the House Select Package will extend to us soon. I guess it all depends on whether the bar staff on Riviera also got the memo! Cheers.

Your World...YOUR Way!

Well yes and thats great.

But all these packages obviously confuse some people , and at the end of the

day they are being offered to make money from.

Now this can only be by comissions on planes / hotels / tour etc packages ,

and on the grog / internet etc someone has worked out how to suck

people in and know they wont use the whole package.

So I suppose its great if you are onto this , and bad luck for the mugs out

there.

Archived