Any Alaska ports to avoid? Not worth it?

ctmama4

We're trying to decide on itinerary for Alaska cruise with kids ages 10/12 next June. Any suggestions on how to chose an itinerary? Ports that just aren't worth it or are too touristy?

Looking at boards there are lots of "Must-see's". Trying to whittle it down.

thanks!

This depends on your interests.

For example, we went to Icy Strait and did a whale watch. We loved it. But, if you do not want to pay for that (about $150/person). Tthere are a limited number of other things to do. There is a zipline(hugea) and a wildlife tour. You can walk around Hoonah. But, that is about all. Will your children be happy with one of those options?

Ketchikan is one of the most rouristy places to go. But, we loved visitng the Totem Bight and Potlach park to see the totem poles. We took the city bus for $1.

It just depends what your family wants to do.

Narrow down your interests and then you will get more replies.:)

Prince Rupert. Don't care for it at all. I think Ketchikan is great as long as you get away from the downtown port area. If you're just lazy and hang around the gift shops you'd probably be better just staying on the ship.

Good Point Dragon. OK, let's narrow it down first - if the kids may not get back to Alaska until they're grown, is Denali/Anchorage important to include prior to cruise? That would narrow down our choices quite a bit.

We're not super hikers. We are looking to Alaska to enjoy nature/scenery, but wouldn't enjoy 6-8 hours a day outdoors hiking/kayaking. Shorter excursions for sure, with some diversity of activities.

Good Point Dragon. OK, let's narrow it down first - if the kids may not get back to Alaska until they're grown, is Denali/Anchorage important to include prior to cruise? That would narrow down our choices quite a bit.

We're not super hikers. We are looking to Alaska to enjoy nature/scenery, but wouldn't enjoy 6-8 hours a day outdoors hiking/kayaking. Shorter excursions for sure, with some diversity of activities.

I would go to the library and pick up both some children's and some adult books on Alaska. Read with your children and get an idea of what they and you would like to see and do. Then it will be much easier to make your decision. Frommer's and Fodor's Alaska Travel books will be a good starting part for you. Your local library should have copies. You don't need the most recent copy.

Personally I think you can find something to do of interest in every port. The biggest problem, however, could be budget. Not everyone can afford the excursions that get you away from the busy ports and take you into the wilderness to experience Alaska. Some people are able to splurge on just one excursion, so they choose carefully. If possible your family could split up for excursions if there are different interests.

Good luck with your planning. How fortunate your children are to see Alaska!!!

OP.

I am currently planning an Alaskan trip including kids with similar ages as yours.

We have eliminated any Flight-seeing options based on budget.:(

We are also not hikers, but enjoy kayaking (but not ALL day)

We are looking to start in Fairbanks for a couple of days, two or three days in Denali, and probably Seward for the remainder of the pre-cruise week.

Our ship stops in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

For Skagway, we are looking to rent a jeep and drive to Emerald lake. Probably stop and do the "summer" dogsled ride on the way.

In Juneau, many folks to the whale watch. We may do a smaller boat day tour before we board the ship in Seward or Whittier. And we will have done scenic cruising. And we plan on going fishing In Ketchican, so we are thinking something different. So we are looking at Kayaking in the lake at the base of Mendelssohn Glacier. I think you are on the kayak for 3 hours, but it is also self guided if you would like to return sooner. We may do kayaking at Seward or Whittier instead. Trying to figure out where we have to have reservations and what flexibility we can have with weather.

As I said in Ketchikan, the kids are dying to Salmon fish. We would do that rain or shine, as long as the captain doesn't say it is too rough to go out.

We will stay a night in Vancouver post cruise, but not enough time there to do more than the HopOnHopOff tour (or just visit Stanley Park.)

Good luck planning

I think Denali is a "must see." But, that is just IMHO. The animals will have lots of babies with them in June and looking for food after the winter. There will still be lots of snow around on the mountians. It will be beautiful. The kids will like the NPS sled dog demo (free) You get to pet the dogs. There will likely be a new litter by then. I enjoyed the demo and the dogs!!

However, you need at least 2 days to see Denali. It is a 4-5 ish hour drive from Anchorage. It is less from Fairbanks--but, plane tickets are higher into there.

We took a Tundra Wilderness tour ffor 7-8 hours. We enjoyed it. (but we are adults) If you take a cruise tour you are locked into tours into Denali. If you DIY you can take a shutte for 1/3 of the cost per person and kids ride free.

We enjoyed our time in Anchorage. But, that was because we rented a car and toured the surrounding area. (Alamo at the airport. Our minivan was $92 for 2 days) There are a couple of good museums in Anchorage. Only you would know if your kids would like those.

We visited Alyeska and rode the tram. (45 min south) Great views and the kids woud enjoy the tram ride. There are some trails on top of the mountain and a cafeteria type restaurant. (also a fancy restaurant for evening--$$$)

The second day we drove to Matanuska Glacier on the Glen highway.(west from Anchorage) It was 100 miles away. But, there are photo ops and great scenery. You can actually walk on this glacier with a tour (we did not) There is an interesting restaurant (Long Rifle RoadHouse) that has good views of the glacier and is filled with stuffed animals.

You can take a 19 mile detour to the Independence Gold mine on your way there or back. We really wanted to do this--but, it closed for the season a couple of days before we got there. I think the kids would enjoy that.

There was a Reindeer farm and a Musk Oxen farm off of the Glen highway, too. I do not know anything about them--but, it would give you something else to research and see if your kids would like that.

Your children are old enough to remember this trip. My daughter in law went with her parents when she was 12. She still remembers the trip.

It is a big airfare to get to Alaska. The 3-4 stops the cruise ship makes do not justify the expense. (IMHO)

We went from Vancouver NB because the scenery gets better all the time. And it was a 3 hr differenece from EDT. Anchorage is 4hrs. It helped us get adjusted.

I've cruised Alaska many times and now will be taking my kids for the first time - like you this will probably be our one family trip to Alaska for awhile. After spending lots of time on these boards, I decided the best route for us would be a one-way so we could spend a few days pre-cruise in Alaska. I would love to see Denali, but because of the time required to get there/back, we decided to rent a one-way car from Anchorage to Seward to enjoy the scenic drive and then stay in a cabin for a couple nights before our cruise to explore Exit Glacier and take a wildlife viewing boat ride in Seward.

Best,

Mia

We like the one-way cruises so we can do some additional independent travel. We also like the back-to-back cruises as it gives us opportunities to do some of our favorite tours twice. What we are NOT big fans of are itineraries that give almost no port time in Victoria.

This isn't the Caribbean with a couple crappy ports thrown in every itinerary. EVERY Alaska port is excellent and VERY worthwhile. Also very different from each other. There are only 6 on the inside passage. I suggest you take some time, request visitor guides, head to your library. Fodor's has a Ports of Call book,as an example.

Take your TIME with this decision. Most of. Alaska is a "must see and do". And it's going to take 30++++ trips to see and do it. Be realistic in your ideas and plans.

The second day we drove to Matanuska Glacier on the Glen highway.(west from Anchorage) It was 100 miles away. But, there are photo ops and great scenery. You can actually walk on this glacier with a tour (we did not) There is an interesting restaurant (Long Rifle RoadHouse) that has good views of the glacier and is filled with stuffed animals.

/quote]

We visited Matanuska Glacier last month, and it was one of the highlights of our trip! You can walk on the glacier without a tour for $20 per adult. The kids' price was a few dollars less.

Here are some photos of the glacier, including a view from the highway:

spacer.gif232323232%7Ffp43432%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D375286998%3A327nu0mrj

spacer.gif232323232%7Ffp43892%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D3752869979327nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp437%3B8%3Enu%3D3253%3E2%3C7%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D375286995%3B327nu0mrjspacer.gif

Archived