How to avoid tipping in Miami port?

elifnena

Why? Seriously......I appreciate the option and take advantage of the service frequently, but I don't respond positively to "have to"s, "must"s, and not having the option without a sensible reason.

Maybe the "sensible reason" is that they are aiming for a quick and efficient way to process thousands of passengers and pieces of luggage:rolleyes:

[/qutoe]

Sorry it doesn't work like that either, its not a perfect world. If saving $5 is that much to you, then you can't afford this vacation.

Actually many people who CAN afford to pay for monthly cruises/trips if they'd like, might just have a limit on what they tip, who they tip and how they spend their money. Has nothing to do with "affording" it.

Tipping is a personal decision. Scolding others for their choices is silly.

Edited by eandj

I guess you've never cruised from NY.

Actually I have cruised from NY many times. No one hassled me to tip as I approached with my bags, though I do always tip. In fact the last time I chased down the porter to tip him after he put my bags on the cart & quickly moved on.

To the OP, I have found that yes you can just put your bags on the cart. I've done it a few times. My thinking is why take them from car or cab & put them on the ground in front of the cart for the porter to pick them up? Let's just get the job done...who cares if it's the porter or us!!!

I do wind up tipping anyway even if we put them on the cart, but no one has yet to tell me not to load them.

• 1 year later...
the last cruise i went on the porter ACTUALLY SAID...if you want to see your luggage on the ship i would recommend tipping...after that i do not sympathize with these people, is it hard work, sure it is and they have a choice. will i tip them, yes because i dont want to be ghetto blackmailed to not receive my luggage.

If someone said that to me, there is no way they would get a tip. I'd take their picture and say, have a nice day. I don't go along with threats and would not worry about my luggage getting on the ship.

?..:cool:

Actually, I think there are two discussions going on here, which might be causing some confusion.......one is about actually transporting/carrying your bags from the dock onto the ship (that would be the stevedores), and the other is about transporting/carrying your bags from the curb when you step out of the taxi to the loading area where the ship is docked (that would be porters). I think that's what I've been reading here (my interpretation is like Lou33's).

At the previous ports where I've sailed, we were allowed to transport our own bags to the dockside if we wanted, though porters were available to help if we desired. We were not required to hand over our luggage as soon as we stepped out of the cab......and I can't think of a single reasonable reason why we would have to. That would be like everyone being required to use a red-cap porter to transport your luggage from the door of the airport terminal building to the ticketing agent.

I would agree. Basically when u get to the port you will need to tip ONE person(unless u want the ship to sail while your bags wave goodbye to you from the dock), that person will be the one with the ship's luggage tags. You can schlep your own bags to the point they actually handled by the "porter" that will place them in the metal suitcase transports.

I think Miami transporters are the most aggressive. On our very first cruise (before we really knew what to do) we used ships airport transport and we weren't allowed off bus until the driver could get ALL the bags ready and he made you give him a tip. Our travel documents said in BOLD print that all tips were included in our transfer rate. This was almost 12 years ago with carnival. Don't know if they still include tips or not as that was our only carnival cruise, but the driver was really aggressive that time, both upon arrival at hotel and then again when getting to airport after cruise.