Blu seating question

joelsmith101

There are a lot of tables for 2 as Aqua cabins are only double occupancy, so mostly couples travelling alone use them. However, it was our experience on Silhouette in July, that the tables were close enough together that, almost every night, we ended up chatting throughout the meal with couples on either side. You can ask for a quieter table if you wish, but we enjoyed meeting different people. It was our first Blu experience and we have booked Aqua for our next cruise on Eclipse next July. Breakfast in Blu was just the best, very relaxed and with the same waiters as at dinner, so we got to know them well and had great fun talking to them as well as other guests.

I love that in Blu the wait staff work as a team, even though you have a waiter and asst for your table the others are always around. They will offer water and pick up dishes as they pass by. We were also on the Silhouette and found the staff outstanding. Breakfast in Blu is so good. There were 4 of us and at dinner we asked to sit at a particular table beside the rose wall. There were no other tables beside us so we enjoyed talking about our day etc. At breakfast we always asked to sit closer to the windows where the tables were closer together. We met a lot of people that way. Love the set up, love Blu!

Are you basically on your own in Blu or do you get to converse with other passengers. How are the tables set up? Thanks.

I got a smile on my face when I read your words:"....get to converse" because we frequently had little choice but to converse with our neighbors - as others mentioned, many (not all) tables are quite close together. Not conversing would have seemed a little rude to us. We generally make an opening comment to acknowledge the presence of our neighbors and see how they respond and then decide whether to continue the chat or keep to ourselves.

Here is a link to some photos of various Blu dining rooms.

We generally make an opening comment to acknowledge the presence of our neighbors and see how they respond and then decide whether to continue the chat or keep to ourselves.

This is EXACTLY what we did! Sometimes the couples were chatty and sometimes they weren't. We happen to enjoy meeting and talking with others on cruises, so we were always happy when people wanted to chat.

Just a question.....I see some large tables. Are they strictly for those who come with a big party, or do they sometimes seat couples with others?

It was my impression that people were seated at their own tables UNLESS they asked to join other parties. We always had a table for two (breakfast without the teens) or four (dinner with the teens) and were never seated with others.

Just a question.....I see some large tables. Are they strictly for those who come with a big party, or do they sometimes seat couples with others?

My impression is that the large tables are for folks who come in as a party. For example, my husband and I were never seated at a large table unless we came in with other folks and asked for a table to accommodate all of us.

It was my impression that people were seated at their own tables UNLESS they asked to join other parties. We always had a table for two (breakfast without the teens) or four (dinner with the teens) and were never seated with others.

We were on the Equinox in January dining in Blu, and could sit anywhere we desired! You don't have a designated table. If you got there first in line, then naturally you had your choice of seats, however, they would always ask if you wanted to join another couple or sit alone! :)

Thank you. I figured that was the case, large tables for those coming with a group. From the sounds of it, you probably don't have to ask to sit with others if you want to converse with others, since the tables are so close. But I agree with the earlier posts that it is good to feel your neighbors out to see if the want to or not.

It is nice to get to sit where you want. I like to sit by the windows when the curtains are open. Also, I guess that you can choose to sit in a certain waitstaff's area if you particularly like one.

There are a lot of tables for 2 as Aqua cabins are only double occupancy, so mostly couples traveling alone use them. However, it was our experience on Silhouette in July, that the tables were close enough together that, almost every night, we ended up chatting throughout the meal with couples on either side. You can ask for a quieter table if you wish, but we enjoyed meeting different people. It was our first Blu experience and we have booked Aqua for our next cruise on Eclipse next July. Breakfast in Blu was just the best, very relaxed and with the same waiters as at dinner, so we got to know them well and had great fun talking to them as well as other guests.

I agree 100% with "reilly1". On one of my trips on the Solstice it was my mother-in-law and my granddaughter(12) and my grandson(10). My DH was suppose to be with me but he ended up needing emergency surgery. In order not to disappoint our grandchildren my DH insisted I go ahead with the cruise so "great grandma" joined us. We had 2 staterooms in AQ and had a GREAT time. The children were wonderful and as their Dad is a Naval Officer and they have traveled the world they were already educated with great social manners. They loved Blu as much as Grandma and I did. The only problem I see with Blu is that once tried I do not ever want to "go back". The children, were of course, very social and we conversed every evening with couples sitting next to us. The children also socialized a lot with the waitstaff. We all had a great time. On other cruises, my DH is much more private we have had some evenings when we conversed with neighbors and others when we did not. The same for breakfast. The tables are quite close together so it is easy to carry on a conversation "if" you choose to. It is a beautiful restaurant and the staff is OUTSTANDING in EVER way!!! We have never enjoyed dinning at sea as much! Please trust me you will love it to. They go out of their way to be sure you enjoy your dinner and your evening.

We have cruised in Aqua Class 4 times, most recently last week on the Equinox 11-nights Med cruise out of Rome, thus have eaten in Blu many times. Three of the cruises were as a couple and one with our three adult children and significant others. As a couple you will almost always be seated at a table for two and never with others unless of course you are part of that party. Yes, most of the tables are very close to each other but it is up to you where you want to converse with your neighbors or not. Most people are very respectful of others space. By the way, it IS NOT rude not to talk to your neighbors as some fear. I'd say the Caribbean cruises were a little more "chatty" than the Med but even then I would estimate that fewer than 20-25% of "table neighbors" converse (not counting a polite "good evening").

It's open seating so you show up whenever you like, although there tends to be the "early" and "late" seating groups at dinner. It's not formal; just people's patterns. Aqua Class was sold out on the Med cruise and Blu was usually very crowded around our preferred time (8:00 - 8:30 pm) but we never waited more than 5 minutes for a table.

Enjoy!

We have gotten a seating time for the first night only. After that, we have been able to eat at any time.

The tables are real close to each other. One evening, we were talking and the couple at the next table just joined in our conversation without even saying "hi" or introducing themselves. But that is not typical.

Anybody know what they do with singles in Blu? My room mate is not a morning person, so I expect that I will be going to breakfast on my own most days.

Linda, My partner is not a morning person either, and often had room service deliver breakfast to our cabin long after I was up and about. The staff in Blu always asked if he'd be showing up in a little while or not when I appeared for breakfast alone. If I said I was alone that morning, I was always asked where I wanted to sit. If I knew people already eating, they would try to seat me at a two top close to my friends, but always at my own two top close to the windows (they knew by the second day, that I liked that location). A couple of mornings, I was seated at a two top next to another single diner, also at their own two top. People were always friendly, and would engage me in conversation. I never felt ignored or alone. So no need to worry!

Anybody know what they do with singles in Blu? My room mate is not a morning person, so I expect that I will be going to breakfast on my own most days.

Linda, Rod and I eat early but this time Elaine and John are joining us for breakfast so we probably will get to Blu between 8:30 and 9 am. See me on thie ship and I will know more our morning schedule. Be glad to eat breakfast with you.

Pat

We have gotten a seating time for the first night only. After that, we have been able to eat at any time.

The tables are real close to each other. One evening, we were talking and the couple at the next table just joined in our conversation without even saying "hi" or introducing themselves. But that is not typical.

Do they really assign a time for the first night? If so, how can we make sure it is not before 8:00?

Thanks, Mark

Linda, I always travel solo, and usually in AQ. Occasionally I made arrangements to join new friends from the Roll Call for breakfast or dinner, and sometimes I dined alone. But as noted earlier, tables are so close together one often ends up talking to the people on either side.

Do they really assign a time for the first night? If so, how can we make sure it is not before 8:00?

Thanks, Mark

Mark, just show up on the first night when you are ready for dinner. (Ignore what your reservation says about time of dinner.) I usually dine in Blu around 8:30-8:45, and rarely had a wait of more than 1-3 minutes.

Archived