Are there chairs to rent at Rum Point?

LiseD

I think we will rent a car...but there is a tour that goes to stingray city and than Rum Point....trying to decide which to do.

Do the tour that includes Stingray City, snorkeling and Rum Point. It should include lunch, too. Great way to spend the day.

I think we will rent a car...but there is a tour that goes to stingray city and than Rum Point....trying to decide which to do.

Rent a small car and make the easy drive to Rum Point, best spot on the island to relax on the beach. The Wreck Grill serves great food and the best mudslides (that's where they originated). You can rent jet skis or just lime. Definitely the best day you'll have if you're not interested in the Fat Fish Adventure tour that included a stop at RP on their last tour of the day.

Nativway offers a tour (not through the ship) that takes you by boat to Stingray city and one other spot for snorkeling...that 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point...lunch included...than boat ride back to dock. It looks like a great tour and I heard they keep the size under 25 people.

For a water tour I would recommend Fat Fish over all others. But for a great day on the island a drive to Rum Point (or Kaibo beach club and Starfish Point) would definitely be our choice. RP is the nicest spot on the island to relax with a cold drink and a bite from the Wreck Grill:D

Nativway offers a tour (not through the ship) that takes you by boat to Stingray city and one other spot for snorkeling...that 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point...lunch included...than boat ride back to dock. It looks like a great tour and I heard they keep the size under 25 people.

we've done this tour and it's one of the best we've experienced! Going to book thru them again today, just haven't decided 'which' tour. however, we really weren't impressed with Rum Point stop. The included food offerings were decent, and they had several picinic tables available but the beach area in front of it was really small and crazy crowded.

I'm wondering if you are permitted to use beach area on other side of resort? anybody know? We were there on a really cold, windy day and were chilly from snorkling so we didn't pursue it at the time.

The other side of Rum Point? As in away from the parking lot end? If I'm remembering correctly, there's only a narrow strip of beach in front of the condos. And you'd have to be pretty close to the water in order to not be in their yard, so to speak. (That would actually apply on both sides of Rum Point...the beach is only public up to the high water mark, further inland than that means you're in someone's yard, which is not cool.)

The other side of Rum Point? As in away from the parking lot end? If I'm remembering correctly, there's only a narrow strip of beach in front of the condos. And you'd have to be pretty close to the water in order to not be in their yard, so to speak. (That would actually apply on both sides of Rum Point...the beach is only public up to the high water mark, further inland than that means you're in someone's yard, which is not cool.)

i'd say not lol

was hoping there would be bigger beach on that side, oh well thanx for answering.

i'd say not lol

was hoping there would be bigger beach on that side, oh well thanx for answering.

You might enjoy Kaibo more than Rum Point if you're looking for more sand and fewer people. It's about 5 minutes further if you're driving, and there's a large-ish public park almost right next door.

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=29

Doesn't help you if you're on the Nativeway tour, though, sorry...

bookbabe i ran across that restaurant in search today that i'm going to check out reviews.

Capt. Marvin's Beach Lunch Stingray/Snorkel Tour is the best of the best! It includes two snorkel stops (one of which will be a conch dive during conch season, Nov. 1st through April 30th), the Stingray City sandbar for interaction with the stingrays, and a fresh seafood lunch on the beach at the Kaibo Yacht Club across the North Sound (near Rum Point).

I've eaten at both Rum Point (daytime beach grill and evening sit-down restaurant) and the Kaibo (upstairs and downstairs) MANY times. They're the only restaurants within walking distance of our vacation home, so we're usually there a couple of times every trip.

For daytime lunch on a weekday, I personally prefer the menu at the Kaibo. Prices are comparible, and I think the Kaibo has better food and a better selection than the beach grill at Rum Point. There's also "normal" tables and chairs in the bar area, so you aren't forced onto picnic tables on the sand unless that's where you want to be. Shoes are still optional, though... :D

Full menus for both spots are on their websites:

http://www.rumpointclub.com/bar-and-grill

http://www.kaibo.ky/menus/lunch/ (prices are on Cayman Good Taste that I linked to previously)

If you have other questions about either spot, just ask...

We had a great dinner at the RP restaurant their last evening of the season in early Sept and the free cat sail there and back was quite a nice bonus. We will definitely go there next time we stay on the island.

I also loved the grouper BLT at the Wreck Grill, and their mudslides were excellent! We didn't care for the outdoor staff at Kaibo, I don't know if that was just a bad night, etc...But others have said they do like the upstairs dining there.

bookbabe we ate at the East End resort when we went to enjoy the BFM and the cuisine there was decent, nothing to rave about. Do you stay in the East End area or elsewhere? We were looking at condos and fractionals on the island and the East End appealed more to us than the west but we never got to check any places on the north end...

We had a great dinner at the RP restaurant their last evening of the season in early Sept and the free cat sail there and back was quite a nice bonus. We will definitely go there next time we stay on the island.

I also loved the grouper BLT at the Wreck Grill, and their mudslides were excellent! We didn't care for the outdoor staff at Kaibo, I don't know if that was just a bad night, etc...But others have said they do like the upstairs dining there.

bookbabe we ate at the East End resort when we went to enjoy the BFM and the cuisine there was decent, nothing to rave about. Do you stay in the East End area or elsewhere? We were looking at condos and fractionals on the island and the East End appealed more to us than the west but we never got to check any places on the north end...

For service, a lot will depend on time of day and day of week. Crowd levels will have an impact on service too. We've usually had good service at the Kaibo, better than daytime at Rum Point. Evenings are pretty good both places.

In terms of food, I prefer evenings at Rum Point to upstairs at the Kaibo, personally. Kaibo upstairs is pretty fancy, and it doesn't appeal to our tastes as much. The seafood hot pot at Rum Point is delicious. Both places are way better than the restaurants at Morritt's and the Reef, though...food-wise, anyway. Kaibo and Rum Point don't have much in the way of entertainment, and Barefoot Man is awesome.

Our place is out at Rum Point, well, officially it's Cayman Kai. The big drawback to that area is distance from stores, I think. It's a long drive into town. (It's expensive, too. Then again, that's par for the course in Cayman.) But for peace and relaxation, great beaches, easy access to Stingray City and good snorkeling, the Rum Point area can't be beat. We wouldn't change where we bought for anywhere else.

Archived