The Quest and returning participants....

You mean we have to grow up?:eek:

I love the silliness of Quest - the perfect antidote for my normal serious life. I enjoy it more when people aren't prepared - and I too love to drag unsuspecting newcomers into it.:p BUT, one of the worst cases of Quest bag I've ever seen was from a 1st time cruiser who had read up on Quest and had a full size beach bag ready to go - I wouldn't let her use it at all and we still won.

You will most likely find me playing Quest next week - unless I just decide to keep my seat at the bar.:D

Here are a few quests Drew Devine asked for two weeks ago, (and broadcast on the monitors for all to see, sometimes several times, and often in slow motion):

- tattoos on women, and yes no place was sacred, piercings, and again, we saw all kinds in all locations; thongs, most still being worn by ladies who had no problems hiking up their dresses; a method of birth control, and I saw some very imaginative methods acted out; and finally, two guys in their favorite sexual position. :eek:

But here is the wildest scene I've ever experienced. And I swear its true.

It was our third cruise, on the Grandeur...

This was back when the CD let you choose your own groups. The lounge was packed, and by the time we got there - standing room only.

We ended up standing between a very older couple (he with an oxygen tank), and on our other side a family with two 20-something young ladies in sun dresses, and mom & dad. I think you needed 8 people so I went down as team leader (nobody in our group had done Quest before) and grabbed our number.

Everything was pretty normal until CD asked for a thong. Well, one of our 20-somethings whipped off her thong in nothing flat, and ran it down. The other girl was down there as back-up or something, not sure.

Anyway, the next thing is... the CD asks for two lady members of your team to switch clothes.

Well, this is where time starts to slow down, the lights in the theatre dim, a hush comes over the crowd, and all heads slowly turn to the two girls. Eyes start to bulge from peoples heads. Even grandpa beside me, manages to stand up, straining at his oxygen supply.

The two girls whip off their little dresses, (and remember the other girl had already removed her thong). Right before our eyes, they switch dresses but for a moment that image is forever burned into my brain (and everyone else in the room) one girl is completely naked, the other in just her thong.

After the quest DW turns to me and asks, did I get a pic of that?

When I finally got my tongue back in my mouth I had to admit NO, I had been frozen, and couldn't move.

To this day, I compare all Quests to that one.

...BUT, one of the worst cases of Quest bag I've ever seen was from a 1st time cruiser who had read up on Quest and had a full size beach bag ready to go - I wouldn't let her use it at all and we still won.

You will most likely find me playing Quest next week - unless I just decide to keep my seat at the bar.

Hi Wrona - I think your team won 1st on our Alaska Serenade cruise, did it not.

(although Maggie and I had seats way back and didn't participate as much)

Enjoy Quest next week. :)

My dh and I were discussing this last night and we both felt that nothing would be inappropriate for our 14 yr. old (girl). I am sure she has seen more on TV or the internet.

Not sure what part of the Quest (we have been to 3 of them on 2 different cruiselines) would we not want her to see.

Its not up to me to advise you regarding your 14 yo DD, however if it was me, I would NOT be bringing my 14 yo. I just know that whether or not they've seen anything like that or worse themselves, just sitting watching it with older adults would probably make them feel uncomfortable at times.

The CD's will not stop you, but they do make an announcement at the beginning. It's then up to you (and your DD).

Whatever decision you make, enjoy. :)

The "H" is for honest, not humble. And I was being honest. Sorry, guess honest is not appreciated here.:rolleyes:

So normally your opinions are dishonest?

Hehehehe... when people say "To tell you the truth..." or "Let me be honest here..." I always say in mock shock "So wait! Everything you've said up to this point is hogwash?"

Its not up to me to advise you regarding your 14 yo DD, however if it was me, I would NOT be bringing my 14 yo. I just know that whether or not they've seen anything like that or worse themselves, just sitting watching it with older adults would probably make them feel uncomfortable at times.

The CD's will not stop you, but they do make an announcement at the beginning. It's then up to you (and your DD).

Whatever decision you make, enjoy. :)

Thanks. We won't be taking the kids on our next cruise so I don't need to worry about it (she doesn't stay very long with us anyway on cruises-too busy with her new friends-lol). I really doubt she would be uncomfortable as she says anything and knows a lot more than I did when I was her age-lol.

I talked to a CD who said his method of battling "Quest Cheaters" was to ask for larger quantities.

Especially on the larger ships, that takes care of the problem. Instead of asking for a belt or a bra, they ask for 5 or 6. Even if one person has a bag, they rarely have enough of each item to throw a game.

Ps. Neither of us received a key chain.

It took me 7 cruises to get a silver medal on Jewel. I think PH8's team got the gold. We wore it proudly the rest of the night. Not sure it made it off the ship. Now that prize for first place in The Love and Marriage show can be worth preparing for, but also on Jewel, the Champagne bottle we got for 2nd was pretty good. I did cheat on one question though, but that was because the Assistant Cruise director read the answer meant for me to the other couple and I recognized it.

Hi Wrona - I think your team won 1st on our Alaska Serenade cruise, did it not.

(although Maggie and I had seats way back and didn't participate as much)

Enjoy Quest next week. :)

No we didn't win that one - they couldn't let us win as we'd already won everything else and they would've had mutiny. Didn't prevent us from having a great time.:p

Cool. That just struck me as odd. I have seen some scary stuff. Nothing vulgar, more... hrrrmmm... adult.

Once upon a time I got blasted by a couple of parents because I said that if they take their kids to Orient Beach in St. Martin, they would probably see some nekkid people, but it wasn't anything vulgar or perverted.

Yeah, the "OMG, you mean to say that letting my child see an unclothed body isn't the event that will define them for the rest of their lives??? How awful of a human being are you????" crowd jumped my case.

I'm sorry, I didn't grow up in a bubble and do not understand it at all. People are just people under their clothes and frankly, most of them aren't people that look better in that condition. They usually look better with them on. There are PLENTY of things that kids should NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT see about people in that state, but just walking around a beach isn't that crazy. Frankly, I've seen a few folks outside establishments on land, FULLY CLOTHED, doing things that I think kids shouldn't witness.

I just suggested that the parents who are hyper-aware of that inform their kids that people might walk by and they were to look at the ground or turn around OR just tell them to ignore them.

The "fan" mail I got over that was insane. Who knew that witnessing a person without clothing was tantamount to witnessing a murder and would require years of therapy to process?

Too funny!

When my step son was 13 or 14, he--like many boys--had a fascination with female breasts..We went to a local music festival, which turned out to be really a biker music festival. No real issues there, he has been exposed to many different types of people as we were bar owners at the time. Anyway, they proceeded to have a wet T-Shirt contest on stage and we told him to not look up on stage. Of course, he didn't listen. By the look on his face, I don't think he would ever purposely watch a wet T-Shirt contest again. Gotta Love the Biker Chicks in SW Missouri! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. I'm pretty sure he was ready to go home at that point...

As far as the people that prepare, I personally think it does ruin the fun for others.

My very first Quest was WAAYY back in 2002, I think. Onboard Majesty with a group of friends. Everything was such a shock to us that they were asking for. We had an Awesome time! We had no idea what quest was, no clue why we were there and it ended up being the highlight of the trip. We didn't win, but we were close--I don't think Quest was as well known then as it is now.

When I go now, I rarely play unless I'm joining another group that we meet when walking in. I always go though to sit back and watch everyone. Even when we do play, we try very hard not to give any hints or anything if the passengers we are with are there for the first time. I want them to experience what we did that first time. I have seen a few times some of the groups notice that other people are pulling stuff out of their bags, etc. and they get discouraged. I think the biggest thing is where you are seated to be able to get those first points.

For what it's worth, those are my comments. I am happy to hear more CD's are mixing it up because that will make it a surprise for everyone and give all an equal chance (it's not for the "award" but rather the bragging rights!). I can't wait to go this November, and I will be playing as I am taking along 7 (well 5, 2 are kids) newbies who have never witnessed it....and I'm not telling them what it is about or how great it is, etc. Just telling them to show up for a fun show.

Too funny!

When my step son was 13 or 14, he--like many boys--had a fascination with female breasts..We went to a local music festival, which turned out to be really a biker music festival. No real issues there, he has been exposed to many different types of people as we were bar owners at the time. Anyway, they proceeded to have a wet T-Shirt contest on stage and we told him to not look up on stage. Of course, he didn't listen. By the look on his face, I don't think he would ever purposely watch a wet T-Shirt contest again. Gotta Love the Biker Chicks in SW Missouri! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. I'm pretty sure he was ready to go home at that point...

It's funny, wet t-shirt contests and the like hold no interest for me. As has been stated many times, often the people most willing to be on public display are the people the public least wants to see on display. On the other hand, I don't know if that fascination with the female form ever really goes away...I think we just get more subtle when looking.

:cool:

So normally your opinions are dishonest?

Nope, I am always truthful about my opinions, sometimes to my great regret.

Hehehehe... when people say "To tell you the truth..." or "Let me be honest here..." I always say in mock shock "So wait! Everything you've said up to this point is hogwash?"

We tell little white lies at times, to avoid being a bore...the difference is I'll be glad to admit it. I try to be as honest as I can without hurting others feelings, that is why I didn't mention names above, but I was as honest as I could be about what I think of Quest and the other contests. Just sayin:cool: But It's not for everyone. I don't begrudge anyone's fun and I never said I did. So go ahead and have a ball, to each his own.

I agree that returning guests ruin it for others.

Best I've seen a CD do was Kirk on the Radiance, he and this staff went around the room and took all the bags!!!

You would think it would be easier to just change things up once in awhile! I guess some do. But from my 4 or 5 Quests, there is so many things I've seen each time. I think the Quest Richard Spacey did on Freedom (I think it was him) was the most unique one.

Has the format changed fleetwide? Last weekend on the Majesty the room was simply subdivided into 6 wedges and that comprised the "teams". Each "team" was then supposed to identify their co-captains (one male, one female). Points in some instances were simply awarded on how much noise the team made to support their participant.

So even the folks who went to "just watch" were assigned to a team based on georgraphy.

This was back when the CD let you choose your own groups.

All the Quest games I have played, we have always chose our own team

the CD asks for two lady members of your team to switch clothes.

The very first Quest game I played, a man & woman was to switch clothes...no problem because there was a crew member standing there with a sheet surrounding the 2 people changing clothes.....Carnival no longer will do this

The CD's will not stop you, but they do make an announcement at the beginning. :)

I think this must depend on the ship....NCL WILL stop you from coming in if you are under 18....

OH BTW, I am one of the Quest Queens that comes prepared with a bag....it's still a lot of fun, because as someone said, a lot of the games are "acting" out more that asking for stuff....

We have gone to Quest probably 5 times. At every single one of them, people had their things packed. It's not fair to everyone else and I agree that the items being searched for should change.

Look at the poster who packs an extra bra in her purse. Sorry, but that, to me, is cheating and I think more times than not, cheating is how the game is won. How sad!

Quest is my FAVOURITE night of a cruise, and my husband and I have earned gold twice and silver once on our last 3 cruises. I don't 'prepare' a bag, but I will bring my purse down with me, whereas I might not typically bring my purse out with me to go for dinner/ drinks on a cruise. The main thing you need to do to win quest is be quick and creative and NOT shy. I'm glad they keep switching it up, otherwise it just gets boring.

Last year on the Freedom we didn't even get medals, I was surprised! I was looking forward to wearing it around the ship that night, haha!

On a recent cruise I spoke to the CD after "The Quest". The CD has to balance public opinion (letters to corporate about it being vulgar) and attendance (bar sales, etc.).

The good CD's allow the game to be played without asking for naughty behavior and stepping in to control it within about 30 seconds. The good CD's also know who came prepared and will wander away from that team to give other teams a chance. Most of it is subtle.

Archived