Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships

Allis154

What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?

• Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
    • Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
    • Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry.
    • NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

Hold on, the posters who want laundry services can't have it both ways on this 'poll'. The wording of the questions are very slanted towards wanting self-service, but the OP who set this up posted they did it to lighten up the whole "I'll die if I can't spend my entire cruise in a laundromat" and "I'll throw myself over the side if I even hear a dryer running" posters.

So this negates any legitimacy as feedback to Celebrity.

By the way, my personal input is if you want to give feedback, email Celebrity or fill out a comment card on your next cruise (that suggestion is to weed out those that don't cruise on some Line they want to change to be exaactly as 'their' Line). This forum is for us to discuss issues and pass info not lobby some company.

Den

When I originally requested someone to post a poll on this, I suggested the following two options:

1. I would like Celebrity to offer a Self-service laundry in future.

2. I would not like Celebrity to offer a Self-service laundry in future.

While I feel that the above is the best way to word it, I do not think that the poll posted by the OP is too far off this. Points 1 and 2 of his/her poll correspond to point 1 of mine and Points 3 and 4 of the poll correspond to Point 2 of mine.

So I don't know why some feel it is skewed. :confused:

I wouldn't expect you to.

I think for the majority of us, it's not the inclusion of laundry facilities that we find bothersome, but the incessant whining by those who insist that they MUST have their way and have the facilities available, and relentlessly criticize the cruise line if they don't put them in. Celebrity has made a decision to not have them. The whiners should have the maturity to realize that fact and quit their annoying complaints. ...

Just because somebody would like to see a convenience feature added to a ship doesn't mean they are whining. I fail to wee what is wrong about making a suggestion. People should feel free to disagree with a suggestion, but there is no reason to get personal about it. It would be hard for me to imagine that those opposed to the self-service laundry idea never had a suggestion to make themselves.

Just because somebody would like to see a convenience feature added to a ship doesn't mean they are whining. I fail to wee what is wrong about making a suggestion. People should feel free to disagree with a suggestion, but there is no reason to get personal about it. It would be hard for me to imagine that those opposed to the self-service laundry idea never had a suggestion to make themselves.

I do have a suggestion that I believe is both workable and practical. Would one of the Hosts please CLOSE this thread? I'm outta here.

The whining criticism is because the suggestion has been made and you have been told by the CEO that the cruise line isn't considering installing laundry rooms, and still the complaining continues. Much like a child who starts crying when it doesn't get it's way, it serves no purpose to continue complaining when the answer is "no". But why am I telling you this? If you haven't figured this out yet, no amount of explaining will make a difference. So I guess the joke is actually on me for trying to explain the reality of the situation to people who refuse to accept it.

What on earth causes so much fuss! Having self service is logical for those that use it, if many do not then the cruise line will not lose much income will they? We would love self service on all ships. A long cruise without is a pain ,and we do choose a cruise line with facilities if we can. Often the ports of call,dates or price causes us to choose a line without. Anyone who would rather pay $35 for one bag of laundry must have a lot more money than we do. We prefer to spend what we have on shore excursions!!!

If anyone knows of a self service laundry near the port in Brisbane or Lisbon we would appreciate the info!!!

What on earth causes so much fuss! Having self service is logical for those that use it, if many do not then the cruise line will not lose much income will they? We would love self service on all ships. A long cruise without is a pain ,and we do choose a cruise line with facilities if we can. Often the ports of call,dates or price causes us to choose a line without. Anyone who would rather pay $35 for one bag of laundry must have a lot more money than we do. We prefer to spend what we have on shore excursions!!!

If anyone knows of a self service laundry near the port in Brisbane or Lisbon we would appreciate the info!!!

The way I see it is that I spend a lot of money to be on my cruise, including travel expenses to and from the ship, plus excursions and any extras, so every minute on board is costing me money - almost $15 per hour to be exact for my next cruise. The time spent doing laundry would waste some of that vacation cost, probably two hours worth. To me it seems like an expensive proposition since you have paid for that time and are now doing mundane chores like laundry. I'd rather send my laundry out and spend an extra $20 instead of using up $20 worth of cruise time doing laundry. Plus there is the cost of using the machines, and the soap.

But that's me. If you want to use up some of your precious cruise time doing laundry, go right ahead. But for me, the old saying "Penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind. Even if Celebrity were to install laundry facilities in each stateroom, I would still never do my own.

And it means nothing if Regent, Princess, NCL, etc. have laundry facilities, the fact is that Celebrity doesn't and that is the way it is so it is pointless to complain about it.

I think for the majority of us, it's not the inclusion of laundry facilities that we find bothersome, but the incessant whining by those who insist that they MUST have their way and have the facilities available, and relentlessly criticize the cruise line if they don't put them in. Celebrity has made a decision to not have them. The whiners should have the maturity to realize that fact and quit their annoying complaints. They should simply find a cruise line that meets their laundry needs and leave the rest of us in peace. I personally can't figure out why people would spend good money on a cruise line that doesn't meet their needs and then proceed to complain about it. Intelligent people would only purchase a product that they are satisfied with, not buy it and then complain that it isn't good enough.

Well said.

Cruise lines, like most successful companies, are constantly updating and refining their product. Just because Celebrity doesn't do something today does not mean they won't do it tomorrow if they think there is a demand for it.

When we first started cruising, tips were given direct to the staff in cash. If someone had suggested auto gratuities being put on the passenger's account, would the answer on CC have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way. If you don't like it find another cruise line".

If it had been suggested that in addition to the MDR there should be speciality restaurants that one could pay extra for, would the answer have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way, etc.......".

If someone had suggested that smoking should be confined to certain specified outdoor areas, would the answer have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way, etc ........"

I can't imagine that Cruise Critic would wish to stifle discussion either. These board are for light-hearted chat about cruising. If you stop all the posts from people suggesting how their cruise experience could be enhanced and all the posts asking questions that could be answered by just reading through the terms and conditions of booking, there wouldn't be much left to talk about!;)

I just find it bizarre that this topic generates such heated discussion and frankly snarkiness on both sides of the topic. I can't think of any other CC board (at least of the ones that I read) where this topic is even an issue.

Thank you for this perspective, junglejane.

I was somewhat taken aback at the tone of some of the answers that my recent post on the subject received.

As a newcomer to the Celebrity board I did not know the topic had been discussed many times, which may account for some of what I saw as rudeness, but was perhaps simply frustration.

I am aware that there are much more experienced cruisers than me (lucky things), and people with thousands of posts behind them are also much more familiar with the board, but 'snarkiness' does not encourage participation by the broad crusing community.

Cheers,

Sue

My first Celebrity cruise is at the end of December. I have cruised other lines. I have only used the laundry on those ships for ironing, as my clothing tends to resemble a pile of wrinkles regardless of how I pack it, and no ship allows you to have an iron in your stateroom for obvious reasons. This roll call is the first time I knew that there are no laundry rooms on Celebrity ships. So, I guess I send out my clothing for pressing? No big deal, just cost and delay. I have never done a laundry on a ship for reasons which have been stated in previous posts, even though some of my cruises have been as long as 3 months (back to back). I can't imagine a ship as large as Celebrity having enough laundry rooms to accommodate its passengers and avoid all of the problems they cause, which have been pretty eloquently stated.

I just find it bizarre that this topic generates such heated discussion and frankly snarkiness on both sides of the topic. I can't think of any other CC board (at least of the ones that I read) where this topic is even an issue.

I cruise with my DH and kids and have used self service laundry many, many times on Princess and once on Cunard -- always without any problems or issues. But I don't for one moment think that there is any chance of Celebrity installing self service laundry. I just take it into account when I cruise on Celebrity that there won't be any self service laundry. For me it's a nice option when available but doesn't weigh in my choice of cruise.

I agree with your comments. I also see it is only the people in opposition to a self service laundry who are snarly, agressive and abusive. It is a real pity that we cannot discuss a topic without nastiness and agression.

Cruise lines, like most successful companies, are constantly updating and refining their product. Just because Celebrity doesn't do something today does not mean they won't do it tomorrow if they think there is a demand for it.

When we first started cruising, tips were given direct to the staff in cash. If someone had suggested auto gratuities being put on the passenger's account, would the answer on CC have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way. If you don't like it find another cruise line".

If it had been suggested that in addition to the MDR there should be speciality restaurants that one could pay extra for, would the answer have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way, etc.......".

If someone had suggested that smoking should be confined to certain specified outdoor areas, would the answer have been "Celebrity doesn't do it that way, etc ........"

I can't imagine that Cruise Critic would wish to stifle discussion either. These board are for light-hearted chat about cruising. If you stop all the posts from people suggesting how their cruise experience could be enhanced and all the posts asking questions that could be answered by just reading through the terms and conditions of booking, there wouldn't be much left to talk about!;)

Suzy, this is a very informative, well thought out reply, thank you.:)

Your questions are fine. Took a course about 45 years ago that included a section on polling. One of the most important elements of a good poll is that the wording is free from bias. Yous is, the other isn't. Simple as that!

We both agree that my wording is better. But the fact is that with the current wording, there are two choices for those who would like self-service laundries and two choices for those who don't. Choice 1 and 4 are the "humorous" options but they boil down to the same thing: I would like a laundry or I would not.

Those who are saying it is skewed are just not happy and /or surprised that the outcome is not what they wanted to see.

For those of you that said you would riot if there was a laundry on board, may I ask...

...Would you riot if someone four streets from your house didn't mow their grass for a week?

:rolleyes:

Wow, some would riot? I don't know why they would care. We have used it on HAL ships and found it to be very convenient.

You don't get it, do you? I would bet that most people chose that selection because of how idiotic it was. Instead of giving credibility to such a biased poll, some will prefer to screw around with it since it is totally worthless as a balanced set of choices. The OP is getting what he deserved - absolutely no valid data to prove his point.

I quite agree with the OP's wording, there have been a large number of negative posts about the possibility of a self service laundry.

I cannot see why the existence of a launderette should bother those that feel they are unneccessary for them, all they need to do is avoid a cabin close by.

The whining criticism is because the suggestion has been made and you have been told by the CEO that the cruise line isn't considering installing laundry rooms, and still the complaining continues. Much like a child who starts crying when it doesn't get it's way, it serves no purpose to continue complaining when the answer is "no". But why am I telling you this? If you haven't figured this out yet, no amount of explaining will make a difference. So I guess the joke is actually on me for trying to explain the reality of the situation to people who refuse to accept it.

I don't doubt the reality is yours, but please allow others to express their version of reality as well.

By the way early 20th century women kept railing against traditionalists until they eventually got the vote. So I will continue to stamp my feet and paddy until Celebrity agree with me.:D

I think for the majority of us, it's not the inclusion of laundry facilities that we find bothersome, but the incessant whining by those who insist that they MUST have their way and have the facilities available, and relentlessly criticize the cruise line if they don't put them in. Celebrity has made a decision to not have them. The whiners should have the maturity to realize that fact and quit their annoying complaints. They should simply find a cruise line that meets their laundry needs and leave the rest of us in peace. I personally can't figure out why people would spend good money on a cruise line that doesn't meet their needs and then proceed to complain about it. Intelligent people would only purchase a product that they are satisfied with, not buy it and then complain that it isn't good enough.

I don't understand why you don't just ignore these laundry threads? I agree that these threads will accomplish nothing because Celebrity has made a marketing decision not to allocate ship space for a self-service laundry. But so what if people want to complain about it? It's super simple to skip these threads since they're clearly labelled. Instead you help to fan the flames. That's what I find so odd about this. I don't see this on any other board, but these threads keep popping up on the X board, and the active participation of the anti-laundry posters is one of the reasons these threads don't just fade away.

I don't understand why you don't just ignore these laundry threads? I agree that these threads will accomplish nothing because Celebrity has made a marketing decision not to allocate ship space for a self-service laundry. But so what if people want to complain about it? It's super simple to skip these threads since they're clearly labelled. Instead you help to fan the flames. That's what I find so odd about this. I don't see this on any other board, but these threads keep popping up on the X board, and the active participation of the anti-laundry posters is one of the reasons these threads don't just fade away.

Your point is well taken. But I am a feisty old broad who finds pointing out foolishness a enjoyable pastime. So, I come on these boards, find those postings that border on pointlessness, and jump right in. Keeps my mind younger and more mentally fit than my 80+ years should have it be.

You can continue to "tilt at windmills" (google it if you don't know what this means) if you like, and I will continue to enjoy commenting on the fruitlessness of such frivolous endeavors.

I would think a better use for your time would be to contribute towards attainable goals instead lobbying for improbable changes. But, that is clearly your decision to make.

Actually I'm personally in the "in between" camp. I'd use self service laundry if it were available but I don't lose any sleep over the fact that it's missing on Celebrity. For me it's just one of many factors to consider, and far down the list of what I consider important. However, like you, I read these threads and occasionally jump in for their entertainment value. So I really should probably thank you for your contributions! The truth is that the Princess board is downright dull by comparison. ;)

Actually I'm personally in the "in between" camp. I'd use self service laundry if it were available but I don't lose any sleep over the fact that it's missing on Celebrity. For me it's just one of many factors to consider, and far down the list of what I consider important. However, like you, I read these threads and occasionally jump in for their entertainment value. So I really should probably thank you for your contributions! The truth is that the Princess board is downright dull by comparison. ;)

Then we are sisters in spirit! Happy cruising to you! :)

Archived