Quality of cigars

headhunterke

I was just browsing through my pre-cruise indulgences and I saw you could order 3 cigars delivered to your stateroom. Has anyone given them a try and if so, are they of decent quality?

I'm not a real expert, but I do like a good cigar. Is this a good deal, or am I better to bring my own on board?

Direct answer is bring your own.

1. You know what you like, ring size, length, how strong etc.

2. Way over priced on board.

3. How have they been handled by HAL, humidor kept, how old etc.?

Nothing better at the end of the day than firing up a heater on the aft lido deck or on your veranda.

I don't smoke on my Verandah as this can bother other guests onboard. Only on the aft of the Lido.A late night cigar, moon and stars giving the only light you can see and a nice drink on your side at the Lido, that's how's life supposed to be :-)

I don't smoke on my Verandah as this can bother other guests onboard. Only on the aft of the Lido.A late night cigar, moon and stars giving the only light you can see and a nice drink on your side at the Lido, that's how's life supposed to be :-)

Thank you for your consideration :)

Direct answer is bring your own.

1. You know what you like, ring size, length, how strong etc.

2. Way over priced on board.

3. How have they been handled by HAL, humidor kept, how old etc.?

Nothing better at the end of the day than firing up a heater on the aft lido deck or on your veranda.

Completely agree!

The Noordam still has an Oak Room where cigars are permitted. I really enjoy that. It is the main reason we are sailing on the Noordam for the fourth time in two years. We are seriously looking at a World Cruise but the Noordam is the only HAL ship that still has the cigar lounge and it does not do the World Cruise. So we are checking other lines for that cruise.

Do all the Oak Rooms still exist on ships they were created on? Always seemed like a major waste of space that could be better utilized.

Sadly, they were removed from every ship except the Noordam, and were not incorporated in the Signature ships.

The Oak Room is an excellent place for smokers to go, in an enclosed room with direct access to the outdoors, and be separated from non-smokers. Non-smokers have no reason to go there, therefore no reason to complain about the smoke. Smokers have a designated smoking area.

Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Another huge thank-you for being so considerate of others!:)

Sadly, they were removed from every ship except the Noordam, and were not incorporated in the Signature ships.

The Oak Room is an excellent place for smokers to go, in an enclosed room with direct access to the outdoors, and be separated from non-smokers.

I used to hate walking past the Oak Room. The cigars could be smelled if you were near it in the Crows Nest. :(:(

I used to hate walking past the Oak Room. The cigars could be smelled if you were near it in the Crows Nest. :(:(

It's just as easy to enter the Crow's Nest from the other side, and stay entirely away from the Oak Room, if smoke or the smell of tobacco is a bother.

With the Oak Room, smokers and non-smokers can stay away from each other, yet each be satisfied. That is, unless the non-smoker doesn't want to have smoking anywhere, or the smoker wants to smoke elsewhere.

I would happily buy you a drink (if we ever meet) for your consideration of other passengers (including moi). I used to love a good cigar (still do but will never admit it) but out of consideration of my wife (who could smell cigar smoke in my clothes) gave it up in nearly all cases.

Hank

I don't smoke that often, but my parents smoke cigarettes every day. Even today, I still don't like the smell of cigs, but I do like cigars :-)

That's why I promised myself when going on a cruise I'd only smoke where as few people as possible would be bothered.

Hlitner, I'll take a look at your roll calls, and you can expect me on one of your cruises ;p

Tha cigars sold by HAL are average at best and not maintained properly. If you like a good cigar, you will be most disappointed buying them from HAL. And you will pay dearly for that disappointment. Go to your local tobacconist and purchase your cigars before you go on your cruise. You will get exactly what you want, they will be properly cared for and you will spend way less money. Take some of the money you saved and buy a cigar caddy for the trip: http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-HUM-CC5-Cigar-Caddy%C2%AE/dp/B0007VWETM

One word of caution to those seeking to buy Cuban cigars in the Caribbean. Unless you buy them from an actual Habanos SA store, you will be buying fakes. Guaranteed, 100% of the time. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I have been in the cigar business in one form or another for over 25 years and have spent a lot of time in the Caribbean. Trust me on this one.

headhunter. caribean cruise is good for a good cuban. be carefull around the port lots of knockoffs,ask the crew where to go for cubans at a good price.

I don't care what the crew says, there is only one place in the Caribbean you will be able to buy genuine Cuban cigars. That is at a Habanos S.A. licensed store. Any other place, even resort hotels and reputable looking tobacco shops will be selling counterfeit cigars 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be certainly be on my watch when buying some cigars in the ports. I've also found a great cigar shop in Fort Lauderdale, not too far from my hotel as well and they're selling top brand cig's, so I'm going to check them out the day before cruising, for sure.

Keep in mind that the counterfeit cigars can be very well made and difficult to spot as a counterfeit. In fact, they may actually be a pretty good cigar. Having worked in and around the industry for decades, I have learned the tell tale signs. Sometimes, you cannot even be sure until you actually light it up and smoke it for a while. A casual cigar smoker has little to no chance of being able to spot a fake. And, maybe it doesn't even matter in the end. If you like the cigar you buy, what difference does it make where its made, right?

But, just don't buy one and bring it back for your cigar afficiando buddy. He may not be so impressed with it.

So, bottom line, pay attention. Don't be hung up on buying Cuban cigars and look for something that is not a popular scam. If someone offers you Cuban cigars for $10 each, walk away. Spend your $10 on a great Dominican, Honduran or Nicaraguan cigar. You'll probably be happier in the end.

Caveat Emptor!

Keep in mind that the counterfeit cigars can be very well made and difficult to spot as a counterfeit. In fact, they may actually be a pretty good cigar. Having worked in and around the industry for decades, I have learned the tell tale signs. Sometimes, you cannot even be sure until you actually light it up and smoke it for a while. A casual cigar smoker has little to no chance of being able to spot a fake. And, maybe it doesn't even matter in the end. If you like the cigar you buy, what difference does it make where its made, right?

But, just don't buy one and bring it back for your cigar afficiando buddy. He may not be so impressed with it.

So, bottom line, pay attention. Don't be hung up on buying Cuban cigars and look for something that is not a popular scam. If someone offers you Cuban cigars for $10 each, walk away. Spend your $10 on a great Dominican, Honduran or Nicaraguan cigar. You'll probably be happier in the end.

How about the old Cohiba Esplendidos in the boxes with the glass lids LOL

Archived