Elite Question RE: Nightly cocktails

Catalina56

Hi,

Just returned from Panama Canal 15 day sailing on the Millennium. This was my first cruise as "Elite". I went to the Elite nightly cocktail party in Cosmos. I tipped my server after each drink. However, I noticed only one other person that was tipping. On the final night I thought perhaps that people waited until the end of the cruise to leave a gratuity. Only a handful of people gave a tip. Majority of the passengers did not.

What is the proper ettiquette regarding tipping when you are drinking these "free drinks"

Thanks for your input.

Catalina56

We've always tipped, but not after every single cocktail served. We generally tip our server with the first cocktail served each evening, and do the same each evening that we attend.

We've always tipped, but not after every single cocktail served. We generally tip our server with the first cocktail served each evening, and do the same each evening that we attend.

We tip after the first drink also, otherwise I would have to carry a wad of singles with me to tip after every drink. :rolleyes:

Requiring closed toe shoes for a cocktail lounge? -- –I’ve never heard of anything so ridiculous. I would have to wear running shoes or bedroom slippers. Yes, I can see how that will be way better than the strappy open toe dress shoes I normally wear with my cocktail dress!

The only time I was told to wear closed toe shoes (on a ship) was for a galley tour.

M

Requiring closed toe shoes for a cocktail lounge? -- –I’ve never heard of anything so ridiculous. I would have to wear running shoes or bedroom slippers. Yes, I can see how that will be way better than the strappy open toe dress shoes I normally wear with my cocktail dress!

The only time I was told to wear closed toe shoes (on a ship) was for a galley tour.

M

Where does it say in any dress code that a lady must wear closed toe shoes? Someone is making the rules as they go. LOL

I have seen closed-toe shoes required in two situations -- galley tours, and helipad access where you have to go up a ladder to get to the bow. Both times it was clearly stated in the literature/daily/invitation.

As to the Elite cocktail hour, I think we have come to the conclusion that it was an error on someone's part, and seems to have been a one-off thing.

Archived