Cost of Transfers

Marmaduke

Can anyone give me an idea of how much Oceania charge for Transfers to and from the Airport to the Ship ? I am considering a couple of Mediterranean cruises with turn rounds in Rome, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Venice. Their UK brochure seems to include flights in the price but not the transfers.

They are very expensive and it is alot cheaper to do them yourself.

I think in Rome they wanted something like 80 dollars also Barcelona was very expensive, a cab you could hire yourself was 30 euros for the cab back to the airport.

The cost varies with port/airport. Here are some recent charges from our invoices. Venice $129 pp, Barcelona $69 pp for 2013 sailings. Istanbul was $79 pp for a July 2012 sailing.

A bit of research can save you $. ;) Check the Roll Call Forums which sometimes have people looking to share a taxi from the ship to airport. Also, larger cities often have some public transportation. It depends on what you want.

Cost is not the only measure of the value of a transfer. Availability of local reliable car/taxi service is critical. At some destinations, the berthing location of the ship may change due to local conditions at the last minute. One needs to look at all factors in making a decision.

Cost is not the only measure of the value of a transfer. Availability of local reliable car/taxi service is critical. At some destinations, the berthing location of the ship may change due to local conditions at the last minute. One needs to look at all factors in making a decision.

Yes I agree but there are so many on the internet these days and some can come recommended on this site.

We have done this on the last 4 cruises and have had no problems.

If the ship moves berthing then the taxi firm just knows where to get you.

You just tell them where you are disembarking and they will find the ship.

This has happend to us and no problem.

Can certainly recommed people in Barcelona and Rome.

Have you not thought of staying the night before your cruise say in Rome, some of the hotels will come to the airport and collect you and then take you to the ship the following day, we found that was the cheapest way to get to Civitavecchia (port of Rome)

I agree, Lyn. We didn't pay anything like that when we did a transfer from the ship to Heathrow in June 2006 ... of course, we were 8 people, but 4 of us were going to the airport and 4 of us were going into central London (but to different hotels).

Just checked by diary for that trip -- we paid about £35 pp with 8 people. The trouble is I don't remember what the exchange rate was back then! And rates no doubt would be higher now whatever the exchange rate.

Mura

We just (September 12th) paid £48pp from Dover to London (6 of us dropped off in Central London and 2 at Heathrow) with 4 hours of sightseeing and a luggage hauler for the 8 of us. A lot less than ship's transfers. If you do your research, you can save a lot of $$$ with your own transfers. Arlene;)

The cost varies with port/airport. Here are some recent charges from our invoices. Venice $129 pp, Barcelona $69 pp for 2013 sailings. Istanbul was $79 pp for a July 2012 sailing.

From my invoice.

Barcelona:

Jul 2012 TRANSFER AIRPORT TO SHIP $119.00

Istanbul:

Aug 2012 TRANSFER SHIP TO AIRPORT $89.00

So your July 2012 was $10 pp more than they were to charging me for Aug and my 2012 BCN is $50 pp more than your 2013. Needless to say I declined the 'offer' and had them removed from my invoice.

I'll add that those transfers would have been in conjunction with O arranged flights and BCN landing at a usual morning time so not odd times of day that would add to the cost.

I questioned the sanity of those when I saw them on my invoice. Who sets these rates? why is yours less than what I was offered (BCN was a very similar time)? Rhetorical questions of course. I felt like a sucker being even offered those rates. Does the agent have a hand in the rate?

I know they are usually expensive compared with local rates (and usually not as silly as what I was quoted above) and for reasons you cite I have happily taken their transfers a couple of times. For us it was well worth the extra cost when slow to clear immigration in LA and the sometimes crawling and stalling drive through morning traffic to the airport. While that O's transfer was considerably more than the established private shuttle bus services it was convenient, assured and not 5 times the cost.

I cannot rationalize BCN at $240 for a $40 taxi ride. The person who set those rates is surely embarrassed or trying to pay for the new builds at a bonus rate.

We had a ptv car service in Barcelona, $50.00 for the two of us. The car was at the dock waiting when we got off. We're doing it in Venice also, and Tahiti coming up. You'll be asked the name & line of the ship, date and time. They will find the dock they need to be at-also if the ship is late for any reason they will know that.

Rick

Archived