What is the best chocolate to buy in Aruba?

Are we there yet?

I know it is Belgian chocolate, but would like to know if there is a certain brand that is better than others? Anything else in that category that I should be looking for?;)

Thank you!

It only makes sense to buy Dutch chocolate on an historically Dutch island. It is the best!

I guess you are right that they will only have Dutch chocolate being a Dutch Island, but I can't remember ever having Dutch chocolate except for cocoa. I know Belgian, Swiss, and other European countries have excellent chocolate so I guess I will have to ask the people of Aruba what their favourite is.

For some reason I thought I had read that they sold Belgian chocolate there......my bad.:confused:

You can purchase Guylian Belgian chocolate many places in Aruba, but you can also buy it at Costco, Walmart, etc.

Go to "A Taste of Belgium" in Renaissance Mall to look for chocolates.

Thank you 6rugrats I will look there but hopefully for something different than the Guylian.......you can get those here too but I try to find something I can't get at home, a little more gourmet than what you can find in the drugstore here.

We bought chocolate in Mexico once and it was awful.......not sure if they make good chocolate there or not but what we had went into the garbage.:eek:

• 1 month later...

The "chocolate" you bought is Mexico is probably the kind that is made there for making what we call "hot chocolate" in the US. It has ground cinnamon and much more sugar and is added/whipped into hot milk and served as a foany and delicious beverage. It is commonly available here in most grocery stores in the Hispanic foods section in cartons from Abuelita or Ibarra brands.

The word "chocolate" in English actually came from the Aztecs in Mexico where it was a royal beverage. The Spanish explorers brought it to Europe and eventually someone changed it and sweet eating/candy chocolate began to appear for all our enjoyment.

Famous Dutch chocolates include Droste, Verkade and Lindt. You should find those there as well as the winderful belgian chocolates as suggested above.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know but the retired Spanish teacher in me HAD to come out :-)

Archived