New to "My Time Dining" ??

marciab

We just booked on the Allure for 12/2. We have never sailed on a mega liner and wanted to give it a try, but am already not really liking making reservations for shows and not being able to get a dining time..

We were signed up for My Time Dining, but then I went to try and book a time, I chose same time everyday.. with same people.. and all times were taken from 5:45 - 8:30.

I know we booked the cruise late, less than 60 days prior to sailing, but now what?

ALL of the comedy shows were booked as well :mad:

I was able to get a reservation for Chicago and the aqua show, but thats it.

Is there any way possible to get a dining time with out having to eat at 5 or 9? OR now do we just have to go to the specialty restaurants every night?

We are traveling just the two of us, and have always enjoyed having dinner with the same people every night.

There will be "walk up" space in the shows, too....folks with reservations forget, or decide not to go...they will release those seats to anyone before the show.

You don't NEED reservations for MTD....that's the whole point...to go when you want! Just walk up and ask to be seated. However, you may do better with traditional dining, if you want tablemates. Most MTDer's don't want to share your company....they like eating alone.

First remember they hold some show slots for those booking on board. Get to the port as early as you can and when you board go right to the box office...hopefully you will get tickets. If not, try standby, but realize that is a long shot for the comedy show.

For now, try checking the different time each night box on the MTD reservation planner. After all, if each time is fully booked even one night it will not show up on the "same time" function. You may find you can get MTD times you like some evenings now. If not, you can walk up (or more likely, line up) and wait your turn. Or select traditional dining now if that is not appealing.

There is no need for reservation in MTD. If it is just two of you, you should only experience very short waits, if at all. But you can attempt to reserve a time when you board. Go to the MTD desk and see what is available. I guarantee that not all those time slots are filled. They always hold back some times for on board booking, same as the shows.

Thank you for all of your input, even though we have been on a number of cruises.. this seems like a whole different plan!

We will board early..flying in a day early, so will try to book other shows then, and possibly a set MTD or change to traditional

We love going to the comedy shows and never laughed so hard as on our last cruise! I hope we can get tickets for one of the shows on the Allure~

We just returned Friday from eight days on Enchantment of the Seas (not Allure) and were required to set a MTD time for each cruise day and had difficulty making dining time changes. In fact, we arrived 15 minutes early for dinner one evening in order to try to make a show and were asked to leave and return 15 minutes later. This has not been my experience on other lines with MTD so suggest you call RCI and make sure you understand their MTD policy.

We just returned Friday from eight days on Enchantment of the Seas (not Allure) and were required to set a MTD time for each cruise day and had difficulty making dining time changes. In fact, we arrived 15 minutes early for dinner one evening in order to try to make a show and were asked to leave and return 15 minutes later. This has not been my experience on other lines with MTD so suggest you call RCI and make sure you understand their MTD policy.

We have never had this experience but if we had, I believe I would have spoken to someone in Guest Services or to the Food and Beverage Manager. I can understand that there might be a wait on occasion if you arrive at a peak time, but there has never been a requirement that you set an MTD time and anyone who told you so, was wrong and should have been reported to their supervisor.

What you describe sounds more like what we experienced with Princess which even had beepers to give to guests who couldn't get a table for perhaps as long as half an hour or more. No system, that involves a human element, is perfect but RCI seems to be more successful with its form of flexible dining than many other lines.

Most MTDer's don't want to share your company....they like eating alone.

So why do I see a number of tables for six and eight in MTD? Perhaps not everyone there wants to eat alone but does like the flexibility that MTD offers their schedules. Generalizations such as the one which the poster above tends to favor, are very dangerous and implying that those who choose my time dining do so because they are somehow anti-social is silly. If you wish to dine with others it is certainly possible with MTD, We have done so on occasion and enjoyed the company of others, but I can understand why some might want to avoid traditional dining lest they have a "my way is the only way know it all", as their tablemate for the entire cruise. ;)

...but there has never been a requirement that you set an MTD time and anyone who told you so, was wrong and should have been reported to their supervisor...

Indeed, couldn't agree more. Also agree about the human element; sadly, some staff members like to flex their superiority muscles when it comes to MTD and other issues. I have read about hosts who were a little rude and condescending to passengers who did not make reservations for MTD - they certainly should have been reported.

My Time Dining is and should be just that. It's unfortunate to hear that it is ever anything else. :(

We went on Allure of the Seas last March. We had a large group and signed up for my time dining. We had a difficult time making reservations online. We wanted to eat between the 2 seating times.. around 7:00-7:30.

It all worked out great in the end and my worrying before the cruise was unneccesary. We visited the dining room right when we got

onboard. They were able to figure out a time our entire group cold come for dinner. We liked our waiter so much on the first night that the hostess was able to book us with the same waiter at the same time every evening for the rest of the cruise. We also got the time that we wanted! Don't worry too much.

The only thing we did not get to do was the comedy show. Everthing else worked out great. Enjoy.

Archived