Question about where ship docks

cruiselvr1

Hi there

I just know I can get an answer here! I would like to know where on Hilo does Princess ships dock? We did not book an excursion on our cruise that leaves Nov. 5th and want to do some research on what is around the area.

Thank You. :)

I have used Google maps to look at other ports, so fired it up for Hilo. It's very clear there are two cruise ships at only one dock big enough. I zoomed in and one is labelled 'Princess Cruise Port' just at end oh Kuhio Street. I bet that's the place!

I have used Google maps to look at other ports, so fired it up for Hilo. It's very clear there are two cruise ships at only one dock big enough. I zoomed in and one is labelled 'Princess Cruise Port' just at end oh Kuhio Street. I bet that's the place!

Yes, that is the correct location. Here is a screen shot of that area. That dock is where the red circle is. Rental car companies provide shuttle service to service that port from Hilo airport which is only a 5 to 10 minute ride away and the downtown area is about the same distance from the port.

Use this site for booking your rental car.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

attachment.php?attachmentid=248468&d=1350369013

hilo.jpg.2ef5f386625aa0788870a55066ed26ca.jpg

The port is a 1/2 hour walk to the center of town. There is a shuttle into town, but it is very crowded. Also, when returning to the ship you can take the public bus shuttle, but I suggest when the guy comes around and offers to take you back for a few dollars you take it. The bus takes you all around the place until it finally arrives at the pier.

A short (within maybe 1/2 mile) walk and you're at the waterfront. You can catch the bus at the tourist center, but as someone pointed out, the routes are very weird (not linear). You can sightsee the city from it, that is, if the windows are clean (which they weren't two years ago). It was also smelly in the bus. My hubby said the next time we're in Hilo, we're grabbing a taxi.

At the street across the tourist center, there's some stores and the Tsunami Museum. You might want to get a guide book which may indicate where the dock is and where the attractions are.

Archived