Tips on navigating Cruise Critic - from the experts!

ASIWISH

That's one thing I've figured out :D Just click on the second box (after "quote") for each post you want to include. Then click on "post" and both posts you want to quote will show up. You can type inbetween them as I'm doing here. :)

Thanks, good to know that I'm doing it right, just wondered. :) I need to remember to put "snip" or "....." too, but often forget.

Thanks - I tried that before but maybe I missed a step? i'll try it again.

Now here's the really stupid question - how do you get the snip to show? do you just type it in?

One thing I find very useful is the "TEST" board.

Go to Cruise Critic Message Boards top level and near the miiddle of the blue banner you will see TEST FORUM.

This is very useful if you want to test

- how your post looks

- a new signature

- loading of a photo

- whether links work as expected

- features of CC you are using for the first time

I use it a lot when putting together the weekly cruiser list and bon voyage threads.

SNIP

Now here's the really stupid question - how do you get the snip to show? do you just type it in?

Yes, that's right. I quoted your post, took out the first sentence and inserted the SNIP

There are no stupid questions! :D

Try the multi-quote again, just be sure to click on the "multi-quote" box for each post, and they will show up after you click on "post".

Yes, that's right. I quoted your post, took out the first sentence and inserted the SNIP

There are no stupid questions! :D

Try the multi-quote again, just be sure to click on the "multi-quote" box for each post, and they will show up after you click on "post".

Thanks so much - what a great thread:):)

That's what I do as well.

When the whole quote appears in my response box, I highlight the part I want to eliminate and hit backspace. It takes away everything that I highlighted to remove.

I try hard to remember to put <snip> to indicate it is not the entire quote. Some years ago, here on CC, there was a ruckus about someone not indicating it was an excerpt so I try to avoid any confusion.

I didn't know that about highlighting and hitting backspace to delete the highlighted part. That's faster.

I use ... to show it's an excerpt but I think I'll try to get in the habit of using <snip> since that would be more obvious. Thanks.

Too cool! I learn something every time I come to cruise critic, especially the HAL board. thanks all.

I agree.

]Keep in mind there is a limit to the number of quotes that you can gather into one post using that method. I think four might be the limit.

I've been on CC several years and just now learned how to use that multiquote.

Thank you!

Thanks - I tried that before but maybe I missed a step? i'll try it again.

Kazu,

<Snip> is not automatically entered.

It has to be typed after you eliminate the part of the quote you are not retaining.

I didn't know that about highlighting and hitting backspace to delete the highlighted part. That's faster.

I use ... to show it's an excerpt but I think I'll try to get in the habit of using <snip> since that would be more obvious. Thanks.

If you want to save another step and make it even simpler, simply highlight the text you wish to delete and then type "<snip>" without hitting the delete or backspace key. It will automatically delete all the highlighted text and insert whatever you actually type on the keyboard. Highlighting actually just tells the editor to affect all the highlighted text with whatever keystrokes you follow with rather than just where the cursor is.

If you click on User CP at the top of every page, it will take to you a list of the most recent threads that you have posted on. I find that very useful. If you then click on List Subscriptions, it will show you every thread you ever posted to.

Good tip, but for this to work as described, make sure that you have something besides Do not subscribe set under "UserCP" > "Settings & Options" > "Edit Options" > "Messaging & Notification" > "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Otherwise you won't automatically be subscribing to threads that you post to.

Can someone explain what a "blue dot supporter" is?

That is just about the only question I have never seen answered since I became a member.

I see this on the NCL board a lot. Apparently, some NCL ships have crew members place blue dots on chairs that they think are being "hogged" and if they are not occupied withing 30 minutes, towels, etc are removed so other guests can use them. So, a blue dot supporter would be someone who approves of this being done.

At least, this is what I have gathered from the NCL boards.

I see this on the NCL board a lot. Apparently, some NCL ships have crew members place blue dots on chairs that they think are being "hogged" and if they are not occupied withing 30 minutes, towels, etc are removed so other guests can use them. So, a blue dot supporter would be someone who approves of this being done.

At least, this is what I have gathered from the NCL boards.

:D Wow..... Thanks for explaining. :eek:

Archived