Tips on navigating Cruise Critic - from the experts!

ASIWISH

I am curious if anyone can share some tips on easier ways to navigate cruise critic.

We have some real pros on these boards who demonstrate some real expertise.

Someone once suggested that I "bookmark" the pages I use most, like The Holland America board, or my Roll Call. That way I can easily pop back on forth. It makes it much easier than having to navigate back and forth.

I'm wondering, do you have any other tips? How do you keep your conversations straight? What is the benefit of a Friend List? etc...

I use IE and have a "favorites list'.

When I am on a page I know I want to return to, I click 'add to favorite' , type in the info which will identify what the page is and save it. When I want to go to those pages, I am in IE, my favorites list is always open on the left side of my screen and I click the description for the page I want to go to. I move around to those pages qiuckly and can return just as easily. I don't have to remember the address or type it in address box.

I also keep open a floating google box on the top of my page. I can move it around anywhere on the page if for some reason it is in my way and I can google anything without moving from whateve I am doing. The floating goodle opens a new page which I close when done with it.

I only have one questions. How do you use a scaled down quote, when you don't want to highlight the entire post. ? I've tried a number of approaches but none are successful.

Great question! There has to be a better way than I've been doing, which is to delete everything in the post except the sentence or two that I'm answering. It works, but there has to be a better way!

Great question! There has to be a better way than I've been doing, which is to delete everything in the post except the sentence or two that I'm answering. It works, but there has to be a better way!

that's what I have been doing too:confused: Sometimes I am afraid of quoting out of context so I quote the entire statement and highlight and/or underline.

I still haven't figured out how to 'snip' or multi quote - whenever i try it never works:eek:

That's what I do as well.

When the whole quote appears in my response box, I highlight the part I want to eliminate and hit backspace. It takes away everything that I highlighted to remove.

I try hard to remember to put <snip> to indicate it is not the entire quote. Some years ago, here on CC, there was a ruckus about someone not indicating it was an excerpt so I try to avoid any confusion.

that's what I have been doing too:confused: Sometimes I am afraid of quoting out of context so I quote the entire statement and highlight and/or underline.

I still haven't figured out how to 'snip' or multi quote - whenever i try it never works:eek:

That's one thing I've figured out :D Just click on the second box (after "quote") for each post you want to include. Then click on "post" and both posts you want to quote will show up. You can type inbetween them as I'm doing here. :)

When the whole quote appears in my response box, I highlight the part I want to eliminate and hit backspace. It takes away everything that I highlighted to remove.

I try hard to remember to put <snip> to indicate it is not the entire quote. Some years ago, here on CC, there was a ruckus about someone not indicating it was an excerpt so I try to avoid any confusion.

Thanks, good to know that I'm doing it right, just wondered. :) I need to remember to put "snip" or "....." too, but often forget.

<SNIP> !!!I try hard to remember to put <snip> to indicate it is not the entire quote. Some years ago, here on CC, there was a ruckus about someone not indicating it was an excerpt so I try to avoid any confusion.

I've wondered about that!!! I've never put "snip" in mine, and one time got "type-yelled" at by someone who was insulted I edited their entire quote. I just thought I was being helpful by just keeping the relevant portion.

Great tip... thanks, Sail!

(Did I overdo the <snip>?:))

If you click on User CP at the top of every page, it will take to you a list of the most recent threads that you have posted on. I find that very useful. If you then click on List Subscriptions, it will show you every thread you ever posted to.

Sometimes, if I am searching for very specific information, I bypass the built in CC Search facility and use Google. You can then scan the results for those from CC or include Cruise Critic in your search criteria in Google if you are hunting for a thread that you did not bookmark and can no longer find.

If you click on User CP at the top of every page, it will take to you a list of the most recent threads that you have posted on. I find that very useful. If you then click on List Subscriptions, it will show you every thread you ever posted to.

Just what I was going to say, but I get to the Subscriptions a little bit differently...

Try clicking on "Quick Links," (top right) and selecting Subscribed Threads from that menu. Quick & easy way to get to all of the threads you've ever posted in.

Just what I was going to say, but I get to the Subscriptions a little bit differently...

Try clicking on "Quick Links," (top right) and selecting Subscribed Threads from that menu. Quick & easy way to get to all of the threads you've ever posted in.

Too cool! I learn something every time I come to cruise critic, especially the HAL board. thanks all.

that's what I have been doing too:confused:

<SNIP>

Kazu..I just erase anything I'm not replying to & insert a <SNIP>

How to Multi-Quote: In the lower right hand corner of the post there is a Quote Box & immediately to the right there is a large box with " (Quotation Marks over a page next to it) Hit the

Quotation Marks in each post..Then go to the bottom of the page & hit the "post reply" box

You can usually multiquote two or three posts just as I've done here with you & Sail....

Sail, I'm going to try the highlighting next time..I usually just erase what I don't want in the post & put in a <SNIP>..Thanks for the hint..

Cheers...:)Betty

Kazu..I just erase anything I'm not replying to & insert a <SNIP>

How to Multi-Quote: In the lower right hand corner of the post there is a Quote Box & immediately to the right there is a large box with " (Quotation Marks over a page next to it) Hit the

Quotation Marks in each post..Then go to the bottom of the page & hit the "post reply" box

You can usually multiquote two or three posts just as I've done here with you & Sail....

Keep in mind there is a limit to the number of quotes that you can gather into one post using that method. I think four might be the limit.

Happy the 'highlight and hit backspace' method is helpful suggestion. It's great when it's a very long post and you only want to quote a small part of it.

Yes, thank you for starting this thread.

I kind of "cheat" to be honest with you all. There are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable and experienced people here on CC that are very generous with sharing what they have learned. I simply click on the links and visit the sites and save to my favourites those that interest me.

The things that I have learned watching and reading CC, without participating that much, has given me the ability to totally, and I mean TOTALLY plan the previous 2 cruises DW and I have been on. As well, it enabled me to, very easily I may add, book our 20 day Westerdam Panama cruise without any real concerns.

I liked what I read about the overall "guest" experience, without getting into specifics thank you, and had to hardly ever ask a question. There were lots of other people asking them for me and, thankfully, there were plenty of "answers", if you know what I mean, and I think you do...wink, wink, nod, nod.

Sure it's going to be 20 days and some may think that's a long cruise for a first time on a HAL ship. But there are those that will say it's just right, and there are some who will say that cruising doesn't really begin until the third week.

What I have learned most of all while reading these boards is that cruising is different things to different people, and that's OK. Try not to let those who have a different opinion of cruising ruin your enjoyment while on board. After all, your on a ship, at sea, visiting places and doing things that you will remember for the rest of your life. Or, if you are like me, you may not truly remember, but once the photos come out it's like it was just yesterday.

Thanks again for all your insight and generosity.

JBW

The User CP button is your friend. It shows "new subscribed threads". Threads you have posted on will be highlighted if there are new posts since you last viewed them. You may use the "edit options" link to choose different ways to be notified of action on your subscribed threads.

The "edit options" link also allows you to select "thread display options". Uncheck "show signatures" and "show avatars" to speed up page loading and save yourself miles of scrolling.

My favorite "tip" is putting more posts on a single page (I don't like having to click "next" so often). Go to UserCP, click Edit Options, and then scroll down to Thread Display Options. I set mine to show 200 posts per page -- not as many threads go to multiple pages that way.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned yet, but you can use Thread Tools on any thread to subscribe to a thread so it shows in your subscribed threads without you having to post to it. I like that because I can check UserCP and see which of the threads I'm interested in has new posts. Then, go to that thread and in the top left of the thread posts, click View First Unread.

My favorite "tip" is putting more posts on a single page (I don't like having to click "next" so often). Go to UserCP, click Edit Options, and then scroll down to Thread Display Options. I set mine to show 200 posts per page -- not as many threads go to multiple pages that way.

That's a great tip.

I went to Thread Display and mine was set to 'default' but I don't know how many posts that is.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned yet, but you can use Thread Tools on any thread to subscribe to a thread so it shows in your subscribed threads without you having to post to it. I like that because I can check UserCP and see which of the threads I'm interested in has new posts. Then, go to that thread and in the top left of the thread posts, click View First Unread.

Archived