Is the Cargagena Catamaran Shuttle running now?

relaxatsea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is a very complicated situation and there have been several meetings including the mayor, vice minister of tourism, the port, the guides and others. However, there still is no resolution so it's not known when, if or how the catamaran shuttles may operate.

We'll provide updates as they become available. However, if you're visiting Cartagena and taking a ship's tour, try to still visit the port terminal as it is a must see. It is like a park and zoo with lush vegetation, wild birds, monkeys, miniature deer, simulated emerald mine, snack bar, store, etc, etc.

Yes, we are visiting in January and this will be our fourth visit. When we were there this past January the catamaran was running. We didn't use it though. I agree the port terminal is a must see with the park/zoo. Every time we visit there are different animals to see.

Can you elaborate on the issue of the catamaran. Is it the local guides and also taxi drivers who don't care for it as it takes potential business away from them?

Keith

• 1 month later...

No catamaran yet when we visited in Mid Dec 2012. I agree that the port terminal animals and birds are must see. We took a taxi to the Walled City with another couple for $20 (each couple paid $12). On the way back, we caught a taxi by the clock tour and it charged us $10 so we paid $12 with tip.

• 1 month later...

The controversy still exists regarding starting the catamaran shuttle from the cruise terminal to the docks of the Old Town. I would guess that they would not be running when you visit. If they do start running or if we have any new information, we'll post it. The other easy way to get to the Old Town is to just get a taxi for the short 15 minute ride downtown. Pick up a free map at one of the tourist information kiosks at the port or downtown and it will be easy to find your way around the Old Town. Hope you enjoy this wonderful city!

So what should the taxi driver expect me to pay and what should I really pay for the ride into town?

From the port to the walled city, they will ask about 15 dollars for up to four people, but some of the drivers will take you there for 10 dollars. The return trip will be about the same, and there are lots of taxis roaming around the walled city area.

I would recommending negotiating a round trip and have the taxi driver wait for you.

Keith

That is not a good idea if you are seeing the walled city for the first time. It puts you on a schedule, and the driver may want a lot of money to wait for you. The taxis are so plentiful that you can have a much better experience if you just do your thing and then walk outside the walls and grab a taxi to take you back to the port. there are literally hundreds of taxis roaming the streets, and most are willing to bargain on the prices. If the driver doesn't speak English, either show him a picture of the ship or tell him you want to go to the Barca.

A hint for those getting off the cruise ship. There is a small kiosk (information booth) on the dock, and they will give you a great map of the walled city free.

That is not a good idea if you are seeing the walled city for the first time. It puts you on a schedule, and the driver may want a lot of money to wait for you. The taxis are so plentiful that you can have a much better experience if you just do your thing and then walk outside the walls and grab a taxi to take you back to the port. there are literally hundreds of taxis roaming the streets, and most are willing to bargain on the prices. If the driver doesn't speak English, either show him a picture of the ship or tell him you want to go to the Barca.

A hint for those getting off the cruise ship. There is a small kiosk (information booth) on the dock, and they will give you a great map of the walled city free.

I have been to Cartagena several times and corpus times in last 18 months and most recently this past January. I do recommend negotiating a R/T taxi. That way you can see whatever you want and you can get a great price. I would see the fort first and then get over to not only the walled city. But the rest of the old town area. Tis can easily be done over four hours at a taxi fare of around $50.oo. You can see a lot with no pressure.

Keith

I have been to Cartagena several times and corpus times in last 18 months and most recently this past January. I do recommend negotiating a R/T taxi. That way you can see whatever you want and you can get a great price. I would see the fort first and then get over to not only the walled city. But the rest of the old town area. Tis can easily be done over four hours at a taxi fare of around $50.oo. You can see a lot with no pressure.

Keith

I don't agree that it is worth an extra $30 dollars to have the taxi wait for you. I have also made several trips to Cartagena and have booked a very good city tour for less than $50 dollars.

To each his own !!!

I don't agree that it is worth an extra $30 dollars to have the taxi wait for you. I have also made several trips to Cartagena and have booked a very good city tour for less than $50 dollars.

To each his own !!!

If you only want to see one site then obviously it is not worth the money.

But if you want to see several sites (which you can do) then it is worth the money.

Yes, choice is good.

And each person can do what works for them.

My point that there are alternatives and one of them is the one I posted which will allow someone to see several sites in different areas.

Archived