Woman jumps overboard and lives to tell about it

SRQfireman

A 29 yo woman jumped off the Destiny last night and according to this article here, she is alive. Not too often do ya see somebody alive after "falling off" a ship's balcony. The ship is in Key West today and will miss Ocho Rios.

I know somebody onboard, and apparently there is a ton of guests that are upset they are in Key West and not Ocho Rios.

Hopefully they'll figure what caused it so it won't happen again. (One speculation was of course was that she jumped)

Suggest you change one word in the thread title.

Change "tell" to "sue".:mad:

"As she was holding on to the balcony's wooden banister, the plaintiff lost her grip and balance, slipped off the ground and fell overboard into the ocean."

Maybe she was holding onto the rail with her feet? ;) I agree with songbird1329; the only part of her lawsuit that MAY have merit is how her medical needs were dealt with.

As for the man who jumped off the ship on the Hawaiian cruise, I wonder how serious he was about that attempt, what with jumping off in broad daylight, in front of multiple witnesses, and then waving to the ship. Sounds more like attention-seeking to me, albeit really stupid attention-seeking.

If he were TRULY serious, you'd think he'd jump at night, when, even if he were seen on the security cameras or by some night owl out on deck, the odds of finding him would be much worse.

Her lawyer sounds even dumber than she is for taking her case.

He knows he'll get something. Even though she may end up with nothing after his cut.
An Ambulance Chaser, sorry lawyer, doesn't need to make a penny to make it worth taking this case.

Publicity is priceless and anyone can file a case. The early stages of a lawsuit cost very little

and personal injury lawyers are always looking for free publicity.

We had a jumper on my last CCL cruise (Spirit to Hawaii April 2012)

Jumped from Serenity Deck 12...and lived.

Lucky people.

oops, I see this has been mentioned already:

Sorry but I have less compassion for the guy on our Hawaiian cruise.

He did this in front of his 8 year old daughter....he jumped in broad daylight from an open deck with 9,000 people around him.

He waited until the exact halfway point (call the point of no return).

His family was quite open about his past "attempts" and at this point, they were the least sympathetic of all.

He broke his collarbone and shattered his ear drum.

Thankfully two passengers had the presense of mind to throw TWO of the orange life rings to mark his spot because we were having 10 ft seas that day and we would have never seen just a head.

Stu (the Cruise Director) was on the bridge and spotted the rings and then an Engineer on the Bridge spotted the guy.

When the small rescue boat went after him, they had to be very safe how they approached him so that the waves did not smash him with the boat...and he kept swimming away.

They were finally able to grab him.

When the family washed their hands of him, I think that pretty much sums up the situation....because if anyone knows the deal with him...they do.

How do you know the family washed their hands of him???? :confused:

I have compassion for anyone that is nuts enough to attempt to kill themselves. Seriously.

I can't imagine being that screwed up or in that much pain to want to end my life....so I definitely have compassion and gratitude that I have a healthy (for the most part ;)) mind.

Nobody sane does something like that.

I really shouldn't even dip my fingers into this one, but just couldn't help myself. Couple of things don't add up. Statement claims she suffered a "dissection of the carotid artery". That sounds to me like something that would have made her bleed out long before the rescue took place two hours after falling in the ocean.

Lets see. She fell overboard at 0010 hours, and the ship, according to her statement, did not turn around until 0145hours, so the ship apparently steamed away from her for an hour and 35 minutes. Then the statement that "the crew found her after being in the water for NEARLY two hours" (caps are mine). So assuming that they got to her at 0210 hours, they managed to cover the distance that they had sailed away in an hour and 35 minutes, in only 25 minutes, and launch a rescue boat, and get to her? Somehow, I don't think the lawyer has seen the ship's logbook yet, or the timeline would be revised.

While there may have been some time taken to check public spaces and her cabin, a total search of the ship at midnite would have taken longer than and hour and a half.

You also do not just stop a ship to look for someone overboard. There is no parking brake to hold the ship (yeah, I know about the thrusters, etc). What a ship will do is something called a "williamson turn" which is designed to turn the ship around 180 degrees and return to the location of the overboard on the exact reciprocal course. Ship will still be moving during this, though people may not know the ship has turned around.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a Carnival ship about five years ago when a man fell off his balcony railing. There were lots of witnesses, so the captain was able to turn around quickly and pick him up. He was drunk on the last sea day and decided to show off in front of friends and family by balancing on they rail. He was taken off the ship by the Ft. Lauderdale police in handcuffs the next morning. The worst part was his two young kids saw and experienced the whole thing. I think the inlaws where there as well.

That was a particularly strange cruise because our ship spent a half day helping search for a passenger who went overboard off a cruise ship in front of us. She was never found.

Burt

That was a particularly strange cruise because our ship spent a half day helping search for a passenger who went overboard off a cruise ship in front of us. She was never found.

Burt

These are the stuff that make people go: Oh cruise ships are so dangerous! No, the ships aren't dangerous, the actions of stupid people on the other hand ARE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this idiot received prime time TV coverage last night and the so called news reporter bought into her claim that she FELL OVERBOARD from her cabin.

Simply amazing!

Deborah Norville, shame on you.

http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/6287-woman-falls-overboard-on-cruise-ship-treads-water-until-rescue

Archived