Woman jumps overboard and lives to tell about it

SRQfireman

Em...let me see now: With the suicidals making cruisehips their final destination (pun INTENDED), the flipflops in the DINNING room, hairy underarms, the chair hogs, the drunks, the booze smugglers, the smokers, the people who stiff crew of their tips, the inconsiderates this and that, the unrestrained kids let loose onboard (did I leave anybody out???) not to mention all those for and against these topics, I think I will drop my cable TV service and stick to these forums. Makes for much cheaper and a heck of a lot funnier entertainment.

I am glad to hear that at least one survived, I had read/heard since at least since this past August of 4 people jumping overboard. It may have been a coincidence but they have all been ships out of the Florida ports...

I might be wrong in saying this but ...

1. why would you pay money to board a cruise just to try and off yourself, unless of course, it was an accidental fall which they found none of them to have been. One of them I read was a Carnival employee.

and

2. what makes these people so selfish they have to ruin it for those on board who are enjoying their vacation and their life for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

It is evident that you don't work in healthcare nor have any knowledge of mental illnesses. Unfortunately, it is this lack of understanding that depressed/bipolar people face while fighting the pain and the desperation they may be going through, which makes it more difficult for them to cope.

Just my 2 cents.

I really don't think anybody on these boards are trivializing suicide as it relates to the person involved...we all know how desperate these people are and we sympathize if not empathize with it. But...it still doesn't alleviate the fact that the act of suicide can upset the travel plans of thousands of people as well as place a burden on a cruise line who had no hand in the thought processes of one disturbed individual. I think those affected by the suicide or by the attempt should be given a lot of slack when it comes to voicing their displeasure with the act....they have definitely been inconvenienced and should be allowed to voice that without being attacked for being insensitive.

I really don't think anybody on these boards are trivializing suicide as it relates to the person involved...we all know how desperate these people are and we sympathize if not empathize with it. But...it still doesn't alleviate the fact that the act of suicide can upset the travel plans of thousands of people as well as place a burden on a cruise line who had no hand in the thought processes of one disturbed individual. I think those affected by the suicide or by the attempt should be given a lot of slack when it comes to voicing their displeasure with the act....they have definitely been inconvenienced and should be allowed to voice that without being attacked for being insensitive.

I agree and am not attacking those who are displeasured by their vacation being upset by one individuals act, I would be as well. So much time and money spent planning a vacation, and not getting the vacation planned is upsetting no matter what.

BUT I do not like hearing people say things like "they should have locked the nutcase up", etc because that is not fair. A person with a mental illness is sick just as someone with a physical illness. No, I dont think someone should board a cruise ship to end their life but in that persons mind they may see that as their only way out. :( It is very sad but I have always made an effort to raise awareness of mental illness and dont like hearing comments like some.

I,ll bet there is a ship full of pissed off passangers on there!!!!

I don,t understand WHY anyone who wants to commit suicide on a cruise ship thinks that every passenger on there with them is OK with it!!!People plan sometimes a long time for a cruise too!!People payed a lot of money to be on that cruise ship too.If you want to kill yourself do it on your own time!!! :mad:

Well said!

Well said.

My post/opinion was not to be insensitive. For those that took offense I am sorry my opinion bothered you so much so you needed to assume I was being inconsiderate towards people with a mental handicap or I lack knowledge of such.

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that someone would pay so much money to end/try to end their life like that, in the process, disrupting a entire cruise ship and folks on board. I will say it again and maybe selfish was not the word to use, it is unfair to everyone. The crew, the passengers, THE FAMILY, the cruise line in question, even the victim themselves.

That in itself has nothing to do with my knowledge of mental illness. I sympathize for the "jumper", their family, and any other person out there suffering from a mental disability.

Assume away that I was not being considerate, compassionate, or that I have a lack of understanding of the mentally ill. Or, even that if I was on that cruise I would be one of those people who would nose would be completely out of joint if my itinerary was interrupted.

Attack people like the poster who wrote " He tried this before and his family took him cruising again instead of locking the nutcase up?"

Again, JUST MY 2 CENTS. I am not trying to start a debate. No, I do not work in healthcare so yes it is evident. I just think there are many other ways of ending pain then going that route.

Sorry but I have less compassion for the guy on our Hawaiian cruise.

He did this in front of his 8 year old daughter....he jumped in broad daylight from an open deck with 9,000 people around him.

He waited until the exact halfway point (call the point of no return).

His family was quite open about his past "attempts" and at this point, they were the least sympathetic of all.

He broke his collarbone and shattered his ear drum.

Thankfully two passengers had the presense of mind to throw TWO of the orange life rings to mark his spot because we were having 10 ft seas that day and we would have never seen just a head.

Stu (the Cruise Director) was on the bridge and spotted the rings and then an Engineer on the Bridge spotted the guy.

When the small rescue boat went after him, they had to be very safe how they approached him so that the waves did not smash him with the boat...and he kept swimming away.

They were finally able to grab him.

When the family washed their hands of him, I think that pretty much sums up the situation....because if anyone knows the deal with him...they do.

I'm surprised how many folks on these boards have not even the most basic understanding of suicidal ideation.

When someone is deeply depressed or feeling suicidal, their intent is not to be selfish. Their intent is to end the pain. Imagine being in so much emotional pain that death is better than facing another day. I feel it's more selfish for passengers to be worrying about what port they missed rather than thinking of the suffering and possible death of a fellow passenger.

Not to be too harsh but why not stay home and take a bottle of sleeping pills with a gin chaser? Why bring the public along for the trip?

lol.............lol............you sure that ain't a typo???? lol :D

I was on that same cruise. I think the zero key got stuck. He went off back/side of the ship in the Serenity area. Maybe 90 who were in that actual area at the time is a better number.:) Needless to say, his jump was witnessed by his family - I can only imagine what they went through.

I don't think people necessarily plan on committing suicide when on a cruise ship. Often times this act is not thought out. It's a rash decision. They are in so much pain and on top of that they feel like the people in their lives would be better off without them. I don't think they are thinking about the "inconvenience" there death would be causing vacationers. Personally, if it was me on the ship, I would just think about how lucky I was that I wasn't suffering so badly that I choose to end my life.

Not to be too harsh but why not stay home and take a bottle of sleeping pills with a gin chaser? Why bring the public along for the trip?

Cry for help rather than the actual desire to die. I think if you are truly determined to do something, you let nothing get in your way, even when it comes to your own death. And this is just my own opinion so no one jump on me for it.

But if someone really wanted to die, they would jump where they wouldn't be seen and had no chance of being rescued. Otherwise, I think it is an attempt to stop the pain and to also show others how much pain they are in, in order to get some real help. Mental illness and depression are deeply misunderstood in my experience.

I'm surprised how many folks on these boards have not even the most basic understanding of suicidal ideation.

When someone is deeply depressed or feeling suicidal, their intent is not to be selfish. Their intent is to end the pain. Imagine being in so much emotional pain that death is better than facing another day. I feel it's more selfish for passengers to be worrying about what port they missed rather than thinking of the suffering and possible death of a fellow passenger.

I agree, it's sad to know this person was suffering that much and no one to reach out to her.

If someone on the ship had a bad accident or suffered from a severe health issue and the ship had to miss a port to get the patient somewhere for treatment would the same passengers be as mad as they are because someone tried to end their life?

A 29 yo woman jumped off the Destiny last night and according to this article here, she is alive. Not too often do ya see somebody alive after "falling off" a ship's balcony. The ship is in Key West today and will miss Ocho Rios.

I know somebody onboard, and apparently there is a ton of guests that are upset they are in Key West and not Ocho Rios.

Hopefully they'll figure what caused it so it won't happen again. (One speculation was of course was that she jumped)

Do they know she jumped for sure or did she fall? I feel really sorry for her either way but balconies kinda scare me a little are they safe?

Archived