Woman jumps overboard and lives to tell about it

SRQfireman

A 29 yo woman jumped off the Destiny last night and according to this article here, she is alive. Not too often do ya see somebody alive after "falling off" a ship's balcony. The ship is in Key West today and will miss Ocho Rios.

I know somebody onboard, and apparently there is a ton of guests that are upset they are in Key West and not Ocho Rios.

Hopefully they'll figure what caused it so it won't happen again. (One speculation was of course was that she jumped)

Hopefully they'll figure what caused it so it won't happen again. (One speculation was of course was that she jumped)

Well its not like you accidently can fall unless you climb up on something drunk or stupid. How can Carnival avoid it in the future.. stupid is stupid... even if she was lifted up and dumped by her boyfriend, how could Carnival prevent this except by enclosing the balconys?

Not Again, oh wow this is so distressing. On our Spirit cruise to Hawaii, back in April, we had a man in his 20's, jump from Lido deck. That's a 9 story drop, but he survived. We know absolutely, that he jumped. People on lido at the time, witnessed him deliberately climb the rail, and jump. Once he hit the water, people said he surfaced, and waved bye to the ship. SAD.

Not Again, oh wow this is so distressing. On our Spirit cruise to Hawaii, back in April, we had a man in his 20's, jump from Lido deck. That's a 9 story drop, but he survived. We know absolutely, that he jumped. People on lido at the time, witnessed him deliberately climb the rail, and jump. Once he hit the water, people said he surfaced, and waved bye to the ship. SAD.

CRIPES! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Did they pick him up or wave bye back?

CRIPES! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Did they pick him up or wave bye back?

We were on this cruise as well and they did indeed find him. He was put off in Hilo, The family continued on. ( apparently he had tried this before and they just had enough)

I don't understand. They are missing Ocho Rios and staying in Key West due to an investigation? Because of the police or other investigators being based in key west, or? Otherwise it seems whatever was going on with the woman or the balcony could be looked into regardless of the location of the ship.

We were on this cruise as well and they did indeed find him. He was put off in Hilo, The family continued on. ( apparently he had tried this before and they just had enough)

He tried this before and his family took him cruising again instead of locking the nutcase up?

Worse still, had he tried this before on a Carnival ship? If yes, was Carnival crazy enough to let him cruise with them again?

I was on this cruise as well. I thought it was interesting that the captain came on the intercom and kept the ship completely informed of the situation. Once we had circled back he asked for everyone to help look for the guy in the water. The upper decks were lined with people on the look out.

I remember seeing the ambulance in Hilo, but didn't realize his family stayed on.

He tried this before and his family took him cruising again instead of locking the nutcase up?

Worse still, had he tried this before on a Carnival ship? If yes, was Carnival crazy enough to let him cruise with them again?

Please don't be so crass. There is no evidence he tried this on a cruise ship before. Even if he had, having a family member who is clinically depressed, I can tell you that a person can be in the care of a physician, be on meds and be doing really well only to regress. I don't understand depression and a desparation that would make someone want to jump off either but I could never be judgemental as to refer to them in deragotory terms. :(

Please don't be so crass. There is no evidence he tried this on a cruise ship before. Even if he had, having a family member who is clinically depressed, I can tell you that a person can be in the care of a physician, be on meds and be doing really well only to regress. I don't understand depression and a desparation that would make someone want to jump off either but I could never be judgemental as to refer to them in deragotory terms. :(

This is why no one should post other peoples personal information. It serves no purpose other than gossip, especially on a public message board.

I am glad to hear that at least one survived, I had read/heard since at least since this past August of 4 people jumping overboard. It may have been a coincidence but they have all been ships out of the Florida ports...

I might be wrong in saying this but ...

1. why would you pay money to board a cruise just to try and off yourself, unless of course, it was an accidental fall which they found none of them to have been. One of them I read was a Carnival employee.

and

2. what makes these people so selfish they have to ruin it for those on board who are enjoying their vacation and their life for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

I am glad to hear that at least one survived, I had read/heard since at least since this past August of 4 people jumping overboard. It may have been a coincidence but they have all been ships out of the Florida ports...

I might be wrong in saying this but ...

1. why would you pay money to board a cruise just to try and off yourself, unless of course, it was an accidental fall which they found none of them to have been. One of them I read was a Carnival employee.

and

2. what makes these people so selfish they have to ruin it for those on board who are enjoying their vacation and their life for that matter.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm surprised how many folks on these boards have not even the most basic understanding of suicidal ideation.

When someone is deeply depressed or feeling suicidal, their intent is not to be selfish. Their intent is to end the pain. Imagine being in so much emotional pain that death is better than facing another day. I feel it's more selfish for passengers to be worrying about what port they missed rather than thinking of the suffering and possible death of a fellow passenger.

I agree. :( Having a brother who was mentally ill suffering from bipolar disorder that committed suicide when I was 18 I know firsthand how hard it is. My brother was NOT a nutcase, but he had an illness. Mental illness is a medical disease just as cancer is, though it is not as well understood.

i agree. :( having a brother who was mentally ill suffering from bipolar disorder that committed suicide when i was 18 i know firsthand how hard it is. My brother was not a nutcase, but he had an illness. Mental illness is a medical disease just as cancer is, though it is not as well understood.

like!

Archived