Smoking on balconies (Spa Staterooms)

Avril

I realize there aren't as many places one can go to smoke on the ship now and I understand the smokers frustration, but I am highly allergic to smoke. I try not to be in an area with smoke, but we have booked a verandah on our cruise and hope we are not prevented from using it. Not only am I allergic, but many of my extended family have had cancer. (I lost a cousin last year from lung and breast cancer. She had never been a smoker , but was exposed by her Mother's second hand smoke). I feel most smokers are more sensitive now to other people and their second hand smoke. I know this is a sensitive subject, but I hope everyone can see the other's point of view. It may not be that the person just has a thing against smokers. It could be a health issue.

I think there are some smokers who promise themselves they are being considerate of non-smokers and think they are being so careful yet they have no idea how their smoke travels. There are some who doubt us when we say we can be bothered on our veranda by smoke that is generated three cabins away but we know it to be true. Smokers on deck 7 have no idea how badly their smoke drifts up to the veranda on deck 8. They don't believe us when we point this out and say the breeze would blow it without bothering anyone. Those of us who have been forced off our verandas know differently.

I think they are sincere in their belief they are considerate but they are mistaken.

Wish more folks (smokers and nonsmokers) would consider these tips.

star2.bmpBalconies: Considerate smokers who want to least offend their neighbors should look at getting a balconied stateroom as far aft as possible since the smoke tends to drift back while the ship is underway. Conversely, sensitive non-smokers should look at booking their verandahs as far forward as possible, for the same reason. If that isn't possible, non-smokers need to adjust their balcony-use schedule or just tolerate the smoke.

star2.bmpPublic Spaces: Most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.

It's important to note that shipboard personnel cannot change policy. For example, they cannot and will not ask someone to stop smoking on that person's balcony (except on cruise lines where it's prohibited), but they can and will ask someone to move to a smoking area if that person is in one that is clearly non-smoking. Avoid confrontation; let the ship's personnel handle the asking.

We always try to book balconies near the aft and make a dedicated search of the smoking areas on the first day of every cruise ... :)

I realize there aren't as many places one can go to smoke on the ship now and I understand the smokers frustration, but I am highly allergic to smoke. I try not to be in an area with smoke, but we have booked a verandah on our cruise and hope we are not prevented from using it. Not only am I allergic, but many of my extended family have had cancer. (I lost a cousin last year from lung and breast cancer. She had never been a smoker , but was exposed by her Mother's second hand smoke). I feel most smokers are more sensitive now to other people and their second hand smoke. I know this is a sensitive subject, but I hope everyone can see the other's point of view. It may not be that the person just has a thing against smokers. It could be a health issue.

Why would you book a veranda on HAL knowing the smoking policy? There are enough lines with similar itineraries that don't allow smoking on balconies. If you are that allergic to smoke, a HAL veranda is not for you.

Speaking only for me and DH, we are usually lucky about neighbors and smoking.

Seeing there are fewer and fewer smokers left these days, more often than not we don't have to breathe someone else's smoke. Every now and then our luck is not so great and that stinks when it happens. After 80+ HAL cruises, we are far more likely to keep making requests of HAL to ban veranda smoking than we are likely to move to a different cruise line or sail without a veranda.

When we started cruising, smoking was permitted in a section of every bar, a section of Lido and even the Main Dining Room. Look at the progress we've made....... far fewer areas where we are now exposed to it.

We aren't allergic to it, we just don't like it and we continue to make requests for more restrictions.

Speaking only for me and DH, we are usually lucky about neighbors and smoking.

Seeing there are fewer and fewer smokers left these days, more often than not we don't have to breathe someone else's smoke. Every now and then our luck is not so great and that stinks when it happens. After 80+ HAL cruises, we are far more likely to keep making requests of HAL to ban veranda smoking than we are likely to move to a different cruise line or sail without a veranda.

When we started cruising, smoking was permitted in a section of every bar, a section of Lido and even the Main Dining Room. Look at the progress we've made....... far fewer areas where we are now exposed to it.

We aren't allergic to it, we just don't like it and we continue to make requests for more restrictions.

From your lips to HAL's ears...:o

Why would you book a veranda on HAL knowing the smoking policy? There are enough lines with similar itineraries that don't allow smoking on balconies. If you are that allergic to smoke, a HAL veranda is not for you.

So I should not book a verandah and leave those cabins to those who smoke? I happen to like the smaller ships that HAL has, their itineraries and I enjoy a balcony as they are less clostrophobic and make me feel more like I am on a vacation where I have a place to escape the crowds. Why do you have more rights than I do?

So I should not book a verandah and leave those cabins to those who smoke? I happen to like the smaller ships that HAL has, their itineraries and I enjoy a balcony as they are less clostrophobic and make me feel more like I am on a vacation where I have a place to escape the crowds. Why do you have more rights than I do?

Totally agree. I guess all the non smokers should leave even though we enjoy HAL. Like Sail says there have been many changes over the years. It is likely to get more restrictive. Would the smokers like to hear that they should go to another cruise line?

wish more folks (smokers and nonsmokers) would consider these tips.

star2.bmpbalconies: considerate smokers who want to least offend their neighbors should look at getting a balconied stateroom as far aft as possible since the smoke tends to drift back while the ship is underway. Conversely, sensitive non-smokers should look at booking their verandahs as far forward as possible, for the same reason. If that isn't possible, non-smokers need to adjust their balcony-use schedule or just tolerate the smoke.

star2.bmppublic spaces: most ships have designated smoking areas, usually on one side or another of the ship. If smoking is permitted on deck on the port side, that's where smokers should go to light up and where non-smokers should avoid sitting. You'd think that's pretty basic, but many a fight has started over cigarette smoke because one side or another is in the "wrong" space.

It's important to note that shipboard personnel cannot change policy. For example, they cannot and will not ask someone to stop smoking on that person's balcony (except on cruise lines where it's prohibited), but they can and will ask someone to move to a smoking area if that person is in one that is clearly non-smoking. Avoid confrontation; let the ship's personnel handle the asking.

We always try to book balconies near the aft and make a dedicated search of the smoking areas on the first day of every cruise ... :)

well said!!!

Or you can go on a land vacation and smoke to your hearts content. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Avril, I thiught I would have to get the popcorn out and watch the drama begin LOL Anything that starts with smoking usually starts a whole bunch of postings........good or bad. My Mother smokes like a chimney! She gets the (what for looks ) and gives it right back LOL We a try and book a state room near the rear of the ship. (My mother could care less......LOL She does care what others think......I remind her from time to time to be nice.......LOL Enjoy your cruise! The aft part of the ship has a nice bar called the Sea view Bar and it has alot of smokers there. The pool is usually Adults only. I have had alot fun there. I do not smoke but it does not bother me. :)

We just got cabin assignment for our transatlantic cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing next Monday. :D We've been assigned one of the spa cabins on Deck 10!! I'm a smoker so I'm just wondering, I know I can't smoke inside the cabin but can I smoke on the balcony? I know you can't smoke in the cabin or on the balcony in Carnival's spa cabins and since HAL is owned by Carnival, I'm just wondering if they have the same rules. Also, are there any perks/benefits with a spa cabin?

Thanks!!!! :D

Sent from my iPad

Hello Avril, I thiught I would have to get the popcorn out and watch the drama begin LOL Anything that starts with smoking usually starts a whole bunch of postings........good or bad. My Mother smokes like a chimney! She gets the (what for looks ) and gives it right back LOL We a try and book a state room near the rear of the ship. (My mother could care less......LOL She does care what others think......I remind her from time to time to be nice.......LOL Enjoy your cruise! The aft part of the ship has a nice bar called the Sea view Bar and it has alot of smokers there. The pool is usually Adults only. I have had alot fun there. I do not smoke but it does not bother me. :)

Actually Avril has returned from her (?) cruise and I was just wondering what she thought of her cabin. Hope she sees this thread. I am not trying to get a smking debate going again.

Actually Avril has returned from her (?) cruise and I was just wondering what she thought of her cabin. Hope she sees this thread. I am not trying to get a smking debate going again.

Just noticed you are very close to your sailing:D Hope you have a good one (oops sorry for the thread drift - no popcorn for this posting:))

Ops! Sorry, I should have paid attention to the date of the original post........I apologize :o I did not meant to start anything about smoking either.......so sorry.

Ops! Sorry, I should have paid attention to the date of the original post........I apologize :o I did not meant to start anything about smoking either.......so sorry.

No worries, I just didn't want people wondering why I was posting to this. I guess Avril has left the building:D.

Archived